Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Arqiva has been awarded a contract by the BBC to help create the Freesat platform, due for launch next March.

The company has been working with the BBC for more than 18 months to develop initial plans, and began platform testing last month.

Alan Boyle, head of BBC distribution operations, said: "The [Arqiva] team knows our infrastructure and the people involved, so this made it a lot easier to develop the right end-to-end solution for the Freesat platform."

Many channel owners are now in contact with Arqiva and Freesat in order to secure space on the new platform, which aims to offer up to 300 TV and radio channels, some with high-definition capability

"This will be a major digital platform in the UK and we have worked very closely with the BBC to get it right," said John Bozza, director of broadcast sales, Arqiva Satellite Media Solutions.

"When we reach the time for digital switchover in the UK it's vital that every household is able to receive free digital TV. We are looking forward to working with Freesat and helping the channels on our existing satellite multiplexes to access the Freesat platform," he added.

DigitalSpy News

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Is it me, but is that still as lacking in information as every other press release has been?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Heres the full pr from the Arqiva site

Arqiva to provide DTH space segment on the Eurobird satellite
Launch of free-to-air satellite platform to increase availability of digital television channels across the UK
Working with Freesat and channel owners to secure space on the platform

Arqiva has been awarded a contract by the BBC to help bring Freesat, the free-to-air digital TV platform, to air by March 2008. Arqiva will support the creation of the new service, which will complement existing digital TV platforms, ensuring that viewers across the whole of the UK can gain access to digital television without the need for a subscription, at and prior to Digital Switch Over.

Arqiva will provide the BBC with an end-to-end distribution solution for the platform management data, which will have fully-redundant back up across dual teleports to ensure maximum robustness of the broadcast signal. In order to provide this resilient network, Arqiva will implement multiple circuits between two key teleports - the primary one in Bedford (Bedfordshire) and secondary one at Crawley Court (Hampshire) - and the BBC broadcast centres in London.

Arqiva has been working with the BBC for more than 18 months to develop initial project plans and design a solution to meet the broadcasters' needs - both technically and commercially. After the BBC Trust gave Freesat the green light to launch, work went into full flow and testing of the platform began in August 2007.

Many channel owners are now in close contact with Arqiva and Freesat in order to secure space on the new DTT platform.

"We work closely with Arqiva to uplink services for our BBC DSat 3 and DSat 7 DTH platforms, which host the majority of our interactive services, so we know of the company's capabilities when it comes to supporting our satellite network requirements," said Alan Boyle, Head of Distribution Operations, BBC.

"The team knows our infrastructure and the people involved, so this made it a lot easier to develop the right end-to-end solution for the Freesat platform."

"This will be a major digital platform in the UK and we have worked very closely with the BBC to get it right," said John Bozza, Director of Broadcast Sales, Arqiva Satellite Media Solutions. "When we reach the time for Digital Switchover in the UK it's vital that every household is able to receive free digital TV, which is why this project is a key part of the nation's digital TV offering and supplements the new high-power digital terrestrial network that will deliver Freeview services to 98.5% of UK viewers via a normal aerial."

"We are looking forward to working with Freesat and helping the channels on our existing satellite multiplexes to access the Freesat platform," added Bozza.

That sounds like Eurobird 1 is going to become very important doesnt it :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but it still leaves out more than it includes.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would make a guess that it's because it has two steerable beams, so reception can be limited and because it has space available.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
I agree with rolfw on this,the article lacks of information.

Analoguesat,given your satellite experience,can you explain what you understood on this and what you think is a likely scenario on Eurobird?