My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Never worried about this in my home, but have been asked by a local cricket club if : -
1. It's possible to set a system up for them to watch football on Sat & Sun
2. Is it legal? :confused

1. is a no brainer. Of course it's possible
2. Ah! Don't really know. I've been told that it is, provided that a valid subscription is being paid (In this case to ART) I've never seen this in writing.
The last thing that we need (I'm also a committee member, hence *we*) is a big fine. I can understand that there could be a problem watching T*S, as this is hacked, but would like a bit of clarification.
It is a private members club, so we're not showing it to the public (nor ripping people off with drinks like the pubs) but the bill for the alternative Rupert stuff has gone through the roof and is now un-affordable for a small non-profit making organisation.
The receiver would be donated by a sponsor, as would the dish, the fitting down to me. (Fixed dish on 13E)
Anyone any ideas?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is possible, but if discovered you will be brought to task, as ART do not have copyright for the UK and you are effectively re-broadcasting the matches.

There were a couple of court cases about this last year and although one woman got away with it, it was only on the basis that she was told by the installation company that it was legit.

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Thanks for the info Rolf,
May not be worth bothering then.
Was hoping for an easy solution really. As I'll be the *installation company* we can't use that excuse either!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Like all of these things, you keep it small and it's OK, but as soon as there is the possibility of someone talking, it isn't worth the potential aggro.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
More than one PC! Sky Digital, Fortec 5100 Diamond, Nokia Freeview
daveenty said:
Never worried about this in my home, but have been asked by a local cricket club if : -
1. It's possible to set a system up for them to watch football on Sat & Sun
2. Is it legal? :confused

1. is a no brainer. Of course it's possible
2. Ah! Don't really know. I've been told that it is, provided that a valid subscription is being paid (In this case to ART) I've never seen this in writing.
The last thing that we need (I'm also a committee member, hence *we*) is a big fine. I can understand that there could be a problem watching T*S, as this is hacked, but would like a bit of clarification.
It is a private members club, so we're not showing it to the public (nor ripping people off with drinks like the pubs) but the bill for the alternative Rupert stuff has gone through the roof and is now un-affordable for a small non-profit making organisation.
The receiver would be donated by a sponsor, as would the dish, the fitting down to me. (Fixed dish on 13E)
Anyone any ideas?

If it's a private club, then you may be able to get away with it provided no members actually work for the Murdoch Imperial Empire. I have been told by my friendly local pub landlord that if you get caught with a non-Sky set up to watch premiership in licenced premises that you can have the pub's licence taken away. Not sure how this would apply to a private members club though. Provided the amount of people in it are small, you should be OK.

TDP

Tally1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88 dish
cryptic h-h disecq motor
big-sat international dsr 8005 ci premium
My Location
South Manchester
Hi guys first post for me although been into the hobby for around 3 years, recently seen in a local paper about a pub in Salford prosecuted for showing live footy (man u games) on a Saturday by f.a.c.t I think some law to do with not showing games between 1445 and 1715 on a Saturday,
Tally

scott1e

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky HD
My Location
Wales
Are you sure that cricket is available on ART? If it is, my understanding is that it is pretty sketchy, and mostly repeated matches from previous seasons. ART is mainly for the odd premiership match.

Am I right on this or does anyone know better?

I had it in the pub. It was sold to me as the Nova system (conned by a ripp off company), and I didn't know any better (dont trust salesmen) at the time, but I recollect that apart from arabic commentaries, it turned more people away the pub, than through the door.:mad:

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Would a private members club be exempt ?

As I believe it would not then be rebroadcasting

AOK1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV & Sateliite.
My Location
Liverpool
It is illegal to show football from foreign satellite feeds in any oublic place / commercial premises. The only legal way is to use sky and be paying for a comercial contract.(sky business)

The way they catch you is a nice chap from sky goes into your local when the footy is on on checks if your footy broadcast has the offical sky pint glass in the corner, if not they know.

So yes it's illegal mate, it would cost you about £100 quid a month for a sports package. Private club is not exempt.

But the odds of you getting caught would be small as you dont have the public in and out all day.

But