My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Great pic. Likvid! Yes, he is the Master.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What's he pointing it at?

Can anyone work it out?

:-snowman

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Analoguesat said:
Want one
want one

:D:D

Might be a problem, there is only one Arthur C Clarke....

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
P.S we should try to get him to be a member here! Anyone got his e mail?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:

Slow site as usual....

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:

Anyone got his email?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
gameboy said:
What's he pointing it at?

Can anyone work it out?

:-snowman

As you can see he got a transmitter on the feedarm holder so he must use it for some uplink.

He always had the greatest dishes, i have a picture of him and his Paraclipse Classic 16" which is about 5 meter.......

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
The second reflector on his Gregorian is bigger than my Porty dish!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Found this one...

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
That's just an upturned umbrella with much of the material ripped off (must've been some hell of a storm). ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I know somebody that knows (and has visited) him.

Will request details after Christmas

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That sounds nice. Having him visit this forum would be cracking, especially as not only is he a great writer and visionary but obviously also knows his sat equipment...

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Omg WHAT A DISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Can we shoot some satellite down ? :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Coming to think of it, we should give Sir Artur his own section in the Forum, maybe in the Science Fiction section. I cannot remember 100%, but would not be surprised if Childhoods End was the first ever SF book I read in my early teens...
Here is a something I found on the foundation that shows what a visionary he was, and every time you watch football on 30 west with your motor moving the dish in a perfect arc remember he "invented" it:

60th anniversary of the Clarke Orbit

Sir Arthur Clarke has been asked many, many times if he's miffed that his invention of the communications satellite concept in late 1945 never really paid him a penny. His standard reply is to laugh and explain that he did not believe his original vision would be realized for many decades, and then he concludes by saying, "But I still think it's a good idea!"
Back in 1945, Clarke combined the technologies of rocketry, wireless communications, and radar to envision an extra-terrestrial system that relied on orbiting space stations to relay radio signals around the world. Just a dozen years later, the launch of Sputnik electrified the world, and brought his vision a step closer to reality. Less than a decade after that, in April 1965, the new international satellite telecommunications organization, Intelsat, under the management of the United States' Communications Satellite Corporation (COMSAT), successfully placed the Early Bird satellite over the Atlantic Ocean into what is now known worldwide as "the Clarke orbit."
Just in time for the Apollo 11 lunar landing in July 1969, Intelsat completed a sequence of launches that placed satellites in space over each of the three ocean regions foreseen by Clarke nearly 25 years earlier. As Intelsat satellites beamed live coverage of Neil Armstrong's "giant leap for Mankind," Clarke joined Walter Cronkite in the “global broadcast booth” to provide expert commentary on the mission and its relevance to a breathless world.
This year we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the publication of Sir Arthur's short article, "Extra-Terrestrial Relays," in the October 1945 edition of Wireless World. His words put into play the minds of other scientists and visionaries working with rockets and radio, leading to the global satellite system and instant connectivity we take for granted today.
Thank you, Sir Arthur . . .

It might be interesting for some to read the original paper Clarke wrote, download the PDF here

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
He did think of it first, he also admitted that he couldn't work out how they would manage to change the valves on the satellites, as that was the technology at the time.

We need more visionaries like him...

On that note - anyone want to predict technological advances in the next year?

I think we will see broadcast-on-demand 'coming of age' and the Internet will become a boom area again with massive investment.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I predict that every arena of technology will advance except batteries. I hate batteries. We need to get ACC to look into this ASAP.