Arthur C Clarke and his 2.4m Gregorian dish

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
For completeness, it should be pointed out that - although Clarke did mention the geostationary orbit - he was "significantly wrong" about the possible technologies that would make comsats feasible.

The first person to write about satellites for telecommunications was George Smith. Clarke admits this "influenced" his famous 1945 Wireless World paper.

(see http://technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=826

also: www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/050718_station_air.html ).

(I've previously pointed this out in newsgroup: uk tech digital tv - and got lots of abuse, which we don't want here! - but at least it should be mentioned).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, you can't get everything right, but it is the vision that he had..

By the way, you recommend any of George O. Smith books?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
OK, the rest of the thread dealing with George O Smith and books is moved to the SF Forum, as this thread was really dealing with ACC.

Click here