AS Roma, UEFA and Anders Frisk

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
After last nights events in Rome with Anders Frisk (referee) being struck by a missile, I would like to hear some opinions and debate the problem.

Personally, I would like to see UEFA finally set a standard and kick Roma out of the Champions League. Is this too drastic? I was in Rome a few years ago whilst watching Liverpool in a UEFA cup match, and there were major problems then. Missiles rained on the Liverpool Supporters almost during the whole entirity of the match. I witnessed persons young and old being struck on the head with coins and bottles, and causing major head wounds. It was a disgrace, and I am not suprised at all what happened last night. It simply alerted UEFA to the problems Italian Clubs face. There has bean many other problems recently but UEFA has been very lenient.
I would insist at least Roma give up the points to Kiev. There are no grounds for anything less. So should UEFA go for the jugular and impose an all out ban, or do they give the Italian side another slap on the wrist?

Just one more thing. Each match has a 4th referree. Does anyone understand why the 4th official did not take over the second half? That puzzled me!?

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
Does this include all the Turkish teams that seem to be able to rain stuff onto pitch when they feel like it,,oh and u must not forget barcelona and real madrid happens there often too,,,if this was to happen in england there would be an uproar but seems its ok to do it abroad...lol

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Rabbit said:
Just one more thing. Each match has a 4th referree. Does anyone understand why the 4th official did not take over the second half? That puzzled me!?
Presumably because there was no 5th official to take over from the fourth official!

newbie123

Reaction score
Rabbit said:
After last nights events in Rome with Anders Frisk (referee) being struck by a missile, I would like to hear some opinions and debate the problem.

Personally, I would like to see UEFA finally set a standard and kick Roma out of the Champions League. Is this too drastic? I would insist at least Roma give up the points to Kiev. There are no grounds for anything less. So should UEFA go for the jugular and impose an all out ban, or do they give the Italian side another slap on the wrist?

Ok well, first off throwing anything at a sporting event that can cause physical harm to me is unacceptable. I was watching italian footy [inter-palermo] on eurosport and i think the panel summed it up really.

1] kiev will be awarded the match 3-0

2] roma wil have to play their next 2 home games at a neutral venue [which i believe is nothing new for roma, they had trouble last year and had to do the same.

3] i think it is an overreaction to kick them out of the champions league, it creates a precedent, but i do agree that roma should be punished as apparently they were already on a warning from uefa.
also think about the precedent that would happen if roma were kicked out. only 3 teams in the group left, less matches and monet for tv and uefa, the prospect of legal action from roma.
if you kick at team out at this stage you need a replacement but its too late to let another team in and who would be allowed in? one of the losers in the qualifiers, but they are already in the uefa cup [pause for breath].

4]i may be criticised for this but i think if anders frisk stopped the 4th official from reffing the 2nd half he should be held to account. if they all agreed it would be too dangerous thats different as its a joint decision.
i do not agree with the decision though as it sets a precedent for any ref who feels intimidated, you have to ask how strong a ref the guy is. was the wound that bad? it was a 1 euro coin!

one last point, it was one fan that buggered it up for the other roma fans, thats all it takes now the whole club may be punished for it. trouble is, i am not sure how seriously roma take fan disorder.

newbie123

Reaction score
mick32 said:
Does this include all the Turkish teams that seem to be able to rain stuff onto pitch when they feel like it,,oh and u must not forget barcelona and real madrid happens there often too,,,if this was to happen in england there would be an uproar but seems its ok to do it abroad...lol
for me the culture in england has changed, not so in the rest of europe. we are not allowed to say any things that may incite other supporters or be deemed offensive.
and in a word yes - it is common practice to throw things at the refs in some other countries from what i have seen, some need police protection after games in spain and turkey. also we have a habit here of whenever there is a bit of violence which may be associated with footy the media and mps piss themsleves and overreact.
just my opinion