Asteroids and comets scary stuff!

lejizz

Reaction score
There does'nt seem to be a link for this subject, so here goes..

Did you like Amrageddon, and Deep Impact?

There's been talk about sommat happening this year- read this;

Check this link for Asteroid 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db?name=4179

Check out the Asteriod position, and Earth's position for 29 september 2004!

[size=+1]"On September 29th this year a 3 mile long asteroid will make the closest predicted approach of any asteroid or comet to Earth during the next 30 years, say scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Near-Earth Orbiting Programme Office. They predict the asteroid will come within 963,000 miles of Earth..................a very near miss.[/size] [size=+1]Asteroid 4179 Toutatis was named after a Celtic/Gallic god whose name is often invoked in the well known comic book series "The Adventures of Asterix," set in ancient Gaul. Toutatis is the protector of Asterix and his compatriots, who fear nothing except that someday the sky may fall on their heads.[/size] [size=+1]It is one of the largest known "Potentially Hazardous Asteroids" (PHA) that approaches our planet on a Near Earth Orbit (NEO). Close encounters with Venus, Earth, Mars and Jupiter constantly alter the shape of the asteroid's path as it loops through the solar system every 3.98 years. On October 31st. 2000 the asteroid passed less than 29 lunar distances from Earth. The September 29th. fly-pass will come within four lunar distances of the Earth.[/size] [size=+1]Toutatis also has one of the strangest rotations yet observed in the solar system. Instead of the spinning about a single axis, as do the planets and the vast majority of asteroids, it "tumbles" somewhat like a rugby football when it bounces.[/size] worth thinking about huh?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Im not sure why the engineers behind these comet chaser probes could not put together something to land on this meteor. Manybe its just not interesting enough to make a trip to the asteroid belt.

Does this lump of rock have any good mineral deposits ?

lejizz

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Does this lump of rock have any good mineral deposits ?
Dunno, but chances are that it wil pick a few up if it lands :|

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Not if it lands near here, the flood plains down the road will provide a soft landing.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
:D

Well, i'll get me an hard hat in case it decides to land here :p

Cheers,

Cor.

:D

K

kalamar

Meteorite hits Washington state in USA today (06-03-04) according to news channel, it was not a big one but maybe tells of future things in order!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Technically its a meteor rather than a meteorite, however knowing the rather large amount of man made junk that sits in precarious orbits about this planet, it is not unfeasible to assume a large bit of rocket from yonks ago has chosen to enter the earths atmosphere today.

This phenomenon can only increase in frequency, and any avalanche effect of one mistimed launch, or misplaced satellite would make any trip into space extremely hazardous

K

kalamar

Yep I see now that some news sources are retracting the crash statement and indeed are saying it might of have been space junk from man made crap.