Astra 1 channels 'no signal'

A

Andyroo

Hello,

For some years I've been viewing analogue fta channels from Hotbird and Astra 1. The picture quality from my fixed 80cm dish (dual LN:cool: has been exceptionally good.
I've now replaced the analogue Pace receiver with a digital Humax F1 VACI. Again, the quality of picture is extremely good from both 13 degrees and 19.2. Signal strength is about 50-60% and quality about 70-80% .
However, I am unable to receive some of the listed Astra channels. Examples are: Travel and Sky News, both fta on Astra 1G. I have tried 'auto search', 'manual search' and 'advanced search' (using video and audio PID ). Each attempt returns ' no signal'.
As a digital novice, I'm unsure of what to check first.

Regards

Andy

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
well, it's a long-shot but here's an idea:

Both of the channels you mention are vertically polarised.
I'm wondering if you do not have a universal LNB. Perhaps you have an older LNB with separate vertical and hortizontal outputs, and either a switch box feeding a single line from your old analogue receiver or esle both LNB outputs going directly to the receiver.

In any event, when you use your digital receiver to switch between channels of different polarisation, it automatically sends a special signal up the coax to your LNB's polarisor, to cause it to select the right state.
But only universal types recognise that signal.

And if you have replaced your old LNB with a new universal type, did you also get rid of the switch box? You should.

See if you can receive any of the following FTA vertical signals:
- Canal Canarias (12441/v/27500 fec 3/4)
- Motors-TV (12610/v/22000 fec 5/6)
- CNN-Int (12168/v/27500 fec 3/4)
or indeed ANY Vertical signals...

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-01 AT 08:58 PM (GMT)[/font][p]Try typing in the frequency direct

Vertical polarisation

12552.00 Freq

22,000 Symbol Rate

5/6 Forward error correction/viterbi Rate

Make sure the 22Khz tone switch is on or at least on auto.

Hope this is of help

Rolf

Sorry I've just noticed that you say you have been using a dual LNB, if it is a dual then as 2old say's, it has a vertical and hoizontal output, if it's a twin then the 2 outputs are bi-polar and either one can be used. You say that you are looking at 2 satellites, do I presume that you are using a double mount bracket or by dual , do yuo mean a monobloc 2 sat lnb.

A

Andyroo

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-01 AT 09:45 PM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-01 AT 09:33 PM (GMT)[/font]

2old,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Yes, your quite right, it turns out that its the vertically polarised channels that are missing.
However, there's no switch box. The Pace had 2 LNB inputs and they were fed direct.

(I've Just seen Rolf's reply and I see that I have misled you by using the term dual instead of 2 LNBs. My apologies)

I was led to believe that I had 2 universal LNB's by guy who installed the original Pace system. In fact, he had to change the one (13 degrees) to a universal because I couldn't switch to the high band when searching channels. From then on I was able to switch high/low on both LNB's so I assumed they were both universal.

Anyhow, I got the ladders out today to have a look. Hotbird is clearly marked as a Grundig Universal 0.8dB LNB. As for the Astra, well, it's hard to make out, but I could see L.O. 9.75 Ghz Euro120 1.0dB.

Can I assume that it's a straight forward operation to change an LNB. If so, I'm off to the local Sat shop.

Many thanks

Andy

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Andy,

I don't know if 2Old is still monitoring, but if he isn't then yes it's a piece of cake to switch from an enhanced LNB ( would have been used to enable the new channels like channel 5 ) to a universal. You should get a slight improvement on the newer LNB as most of them are 0.7 db or less as a noise figure. Make sure that the new lnb is skewed properly, I'm not sure of the exact figure for Astra 19.2, but I think that it's about 4 degrees, so if you are looking at the dish from behind the LNB it will be a slight rotation clockwise off the vertical.

Good luck

Rolf

A

Andyroo

Rolf, 2old

I finally got round to changing the LNB to a Grundig 0.6db.
Problem solved !

many thanks

Andy

U

upl

>well, it's a long-shot but here's
>an idea:
>
>Both of the channels you mention
>are vertically polarised.
>I'm wondering if you do not
>have a universal LNB. Perhaps
>you have an older LNB
>with separate vertical and hortizontal
>outputs, and either a switch
>box feeding a single line
>from your old analogue receiver
>or esle both LNB outputs
>going directly to the receiver.
>
>
>In any event, when you use
>your digital receiver to switch
>between channels of different polarisation,
>it automatically sends a special
>signal up the coax to
>your LNB's polarisor, to cause
>it to select the right
>state.
>But only universal types recognise that
>signal.
>
>And if you have replaced your
>old LNB with a new
>universal type, did you also
>get rid of the switch
>box? You should.
>
>See if you can receive any
>of the following FTA vertical
>signals:
>- Canal Canarias (12441/v/27500 fec 3/4)
>
>- Motors-TV (12610/v/22000 fec 5/6)
>- CNN-Int (12168/v/27500 fec 3/4)
>or indeed ANY Vertical signals...
>
>2old