ifritz

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London SW4
Hallo,

I am a novice to this satellite business and need some advice:

In addition to those available on Astra 2 I would like to tune in to some of the Astra 1 continental stations. The receiver I've got is an ex contract Pace 2800 B. Unfortunately the instructions don't say anything about this. Is it possible at all? I knew a chap in Hamburg who used two LNBs (and a multiswitch?). Does the Pace support this technique or do I need to get a second receiver?

I would be very grateful for your ideas.

Ifritz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Ifritz,

You can use a 60cm dish with two lnbs and a manual switch to access 19.2E, but the facilities of the digibox are very limited when applied to non-Sky channels. You would be better off spending a few extra pounds on either a free to air receiver, or perhaps a PCI receiver, this would have advantages over and above the free to air receiver, see the PC Card Systems forum.

ifritz

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London SW4
Hallo Ralf,

thanks for your quick response. Since you are not suggesting that I better swap the Pace 2800 for another model I assume that the limited capacities with regard to Astra 1 reception apply to all digiboxes equally - right? Makes me wondering. Would it not be much more convenient if both satellites could be had with just one receiver?

I would feel uneasy with another computer now in my sitting-room as well. Already feel encircled by them at work (more computers than patients sometimes - hospital). Therefore, I am afraid PCI won’t be a solution in my case.

If it comes to a 2nd receiver, how to connect it all up most conveniently? One dish, two quatro-LNBs, multiswitch (assuming the Pace can DiSEqC), single cable each to receivers and VCR?

Kind regard, Ifritz.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately the limitations of the digibox family extend to their LNB switching capabilities, they don't have DiseqC capability either. Your best bet is to leave the digibox doing what it does well and use a separate receiver for the other sat or sats.

With regard to a second LNB, providing that you are not using a standard minidish, you can add an arm with a standard universal LNB, Astra 1 should be prime focus with Astra 2 as secondary.

ifritz

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London SW4
Hallo, Rolf,

thanks for your valuable advice. When it comes to a 2nd LNB and/or dish and separate receiver, would I perhaps be better off with an analogue receiver for Astra 1 ? Not least because of many high trees in or near the sight axis to the satellite. I have picked it up somewhere that analogue receptions it less likely to be affected in this way.

Thanks, Ifritz