Astra 28.2E Madrid Spain

Flipit

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just moved to Madrid and need some recomendations on getting Freeview BBC channels. I'm quite keen on being able to get D+ on 30W as well.

I've been reading through the forums and although really helpfull, it's difficult to pin down exact requirments.

I'll be using a FloopyDTV/S firewire decoder with a T-Rex Cam (Already have them)

So on with the questions:
1. Dish Size. This seems to range from 70cm to 150cm recomendations in th forums for spain. Obviously the bigger the better but I'm tight on space so I need to go for the smallest that is sensible.

2. LNB. I'd like to be able to watch 2 channels at the same time. What makes are suggested. Seems a lot of compaines make some pretty wild calims on the noise rating, a good solid LNB recomendation is all I'm after... nothing to fancy.

3. What's the best method for multi-sat esp 28.2E and 30W being almost opposite.

Many thanks

Phill

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
Question 1 was discussed recently.

The answer was 1.8m or 2m depending on the required rain margin.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...reception-tech/101004-bbc-itv-rte-madrid.html

Question 2

??- I'm not trying for any weak sats,so don't know

Question 3

It depends on what sats you want.

To get any more than 20 degress odd with one dish, it has to be motorised.

Not sure how wide the Wave Frontier goes.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
1.2m dish minimum for BBC in Madrid, no rain margin, only BBC 1 & ITV
1.8m dish, all BBC until 10pm, good rain margin during daytime, less so evening. Some areas BBC 2 24 hours/day.
Above sizes are for well tuned dish with best possible components and receiver.
I have no experience of the gear you are using as a receiver.
Sky channels only: 60cm (no BBC, ITV or Channel four)

Hispasat for Digital +:
Use a diseqc switch for 30 west reception if your receiver supports this.

LNB:
Ignore all claims for 0.2 dB performance of a LNB, in fact avoid any make which states this figure. Invacom and MTI are the only LNBs that work well in Madrid, Smart Titanium are not completely reliable, but sometimes give good results.

Flipit

Reaction score
snap, sounds like you spent some time getting your system up and runing ;-) Thanks for the invaluble advice.

1 further question if anyone can help, but a it of topic.

My house has a communial dish pointing to 19.2E, the sat aerial seems to be merged with the normal TV aerial, only one aerial socket, becuse my TV is picking up some of the PAL broadcast signals (MTV germany , Eurosport, RTL-S) However when I plug in the DVB-S decoder, although I get a good signal (80%) it 's unable to lock to any channels. Manually tuning just gives a black screen.

Does this kind of signal merge have a detrimental effect on the DVB broadcast?
How can I test for good enough signal fro DVB-S?
DVB-T work fines through the same socket.

Thanks

Phill

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
Simple- there is no satellite signal through the communal system. There is a sat receiver at the head end sending a selection of channels in analogue from Astra 1 merged with terrestrial analogue and terrestrial digital which all the houses in the urbanización can receive. Reception is usually poor due to poor quality cabling so you are lucky to get good digital terrestrial reception. You would need to put up your own dish, but don't bother with 19 degrees, point it to 30 degrees west.

Flipit

Reaction score
I'd have thought the same, if the Dish wasn't on a mast on the corner of my property, there's no head end decoder that I can see, just a Dish, LNB and cable going into the ground.. could be underground but no access box I can locate which makes me think not.

Given the above I pondered this for a while... how can a normal TV get DVB-S ?? Not possible .. so how come the channels show up on my TV... My natural conclusion, as you suggested to, was it's being droped to analouge, total waste... then I noticed that Astra 1F has some channels broadcast in PAL, so just connecting to the cable would mean these could be decoded by a normal analouge TV right ??

Hence my original question about signal interference mergeing the two and any method of checking for sure, given what I can find so far.

Anyway I agree with you over 30W even if I could get 19.2E , nothing opens it, but this is now bugging the hell out of me, so it's a matter of principle... even if I manage to disconnect all my neihbours in the process :-)

I feel some re-cabling of the mast comming on.. may even slip in the process, woud be a shame in the moved a fee degrees West ..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
:D a few degrees possibly but a 49 degree slip would be one hell of a knock! :D

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Your assumption about Astra 1 signals being dropped to analogue is exactly right, this is how it's done in Spain, with frequently terrible results, co-channel interference being the norm.
There must be a head end unit somewhere (locked away most likely, the porter will have a key).
If you mess around with the dish and mast all your neighbours will lose their TV- not a good idea if you want to get on with them.

Flipit

Reaction score
Thanks,

It's only a small community, four of us share the mast, no porter :-(
I think I'll let this one get the better of me, as even if I do convince my vecinos.. I won't get anything useful out of it.

As for a 1.8 - 2m dish for BCC.. not sure I'm going to convince the wife of that... It's not as though she won't notice ... why is the garden dark... what the hell is that thing on the roof. Sure you've all been there.

So D+ on 30W for now, I'll get a diseq as suggested then if I ever get the big dish I can switch between the two.

Snap. Did you do the installs yourself in Madrid or can you recommend an installer that knows their stuff. English / Spanish it's all the same to me.

Cheers Phill

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I run a satellite installation business in Madrid for Sky & BBC channels. I now have an English installer working with me, thanks to the 'jobs for the boys' section of this forum. Click on my name in the this post to view public profile, there is a link to my home page.