Astra 28E & 19E at the same time?

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Well I've had another play with my setup. I want to 'see' where the various sats are before I mount the dish on the house to make sure I've got it in the right place for a future motor upgrade.

Anyway last time I treid it I got a signal on Astra 28E along with reception of the usual stuff, BBC Channels, Horror Channel.... and Shopping channels :(

I then thought I'd put the receiver onto Astra 19E and try tuning that in to get a feel for the amount of movement the dish needs. As soon as did that *without touching the dish* I got 64%+ signal and 70+% quality on an Astra 19E channel.

But no picture. As soon as I moved the dish of course I lost it.

Is it possible to receive 19 and 28E with my setup with the dish in the same place??

BTW I'd even made myself a little 'protractor' on a bit of card with the angles of the sats on so I could see where they were in relation to 28E which I seem to pick up without even trying!

Thanks for any pointers :-googly

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
'Fraid not :(
What you're geting is still 28E as a lot of sats have transponders at the same freq and pol, you are looking at an encrypted channel on 28E.

You could get a multi arm for your dish and have more than 1 LNB.
That would enabe you to do what you think you are doing at the mo.

L.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No it isn't possible but they do have frequencies in common, hence the signal reading.

J

Jeff_19341

I blame it on "Lidl" and their cheap sets of gear. The number of times that I have seen a similar thread on many different boards over the last six months are too many to mention. Does nobody nowadays realise what 28E/19E/13E etc really means?
:-hny

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
JuMbuCk said:
I blame it on "Lidl" and their cheap sets of gear. The number of times that I have seen a similar thread on many different boards over the last six months are too many to mention. Does nobody nowadays realise what 28E/19E/13E etc really means?

Yeah it means diferent sats..

I didnt buy any of the equipement from lidl.. but after you said that.. next summer i will be the first one there :) maybe with the new laws etc.. lidl might start stocking 1mtr dishes :D

Thread starter - I had this problem a few month back.. no matter what.. astra 19 got a signal even though it was on 28.

I had to reset the box and it was fine.. oh and yesterday i was on hotbird.. but it shown as getting a signal on amos lol

Bbigfoot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400irc
80cm Dish
Invacom 0.3 LNB
ToH 3.3 5.7.

P4 Xp home
3.2 pro.
My Location
Tyne Wear
@lordminty..

Try 30w Hispasat, with your 90cm dish you should get, 100% Sig Quality
and 100% Sig Strenth.
A little tip keep your dish Vertical, just about strait up & down.

Bbigfoot...

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Lancelot said:
'Fraid not :(
What you're geting is still 28E as a lot of sats have transponders at the same freq and pol, you are looking at an encrypted channel on 28E.

You could get a multi arm for your dish and have more than 1 LNB.
That would enabe you to do what you think you are doing at the mo.

L.:)

Aha, that explains it then - I hadn't realised you could get channels with the same freq and pol on different sats - D'oh!

I'd rather go motorised than have multiple LNBs..

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bedford
JuMbuCk said:

I don't blame Lidl for anything - raising the profile of FTA sat TV can only be a good thing IMHO.

Maybe you could blame the receiver makers for pre-loading the 4000 channels (and a few seem out of date on 28E - the Golf channel comes in on a different channel according to the buit in channel list), but that would include the Maplin FTA kits as well as Lidl's.

Yes I do understand what 28E/19E/13E mean which is why I was trying to find the position my dish should be in for 19E as I can find 28E easily. Looks like I need to try a different sat and later rescan all the channels for 19E then.:-sugar

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bedford
Bbigfoot said:
@lordminty..

Try 30w Hispasat, with your 90cm dish you should get, 100% Sig Quality
and 100% Sig Strenth.
A little tip keep your dish Vertical, just about strait up & down.

Bbigfoot...

That's probably the best idea given experience so far and I really need to get a feel for where the W sats are before I mount the dish on the wall. Thanks.:-hny