Astra 2D + Astra 1 + Hotbird....?

xband

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
47°32' N / 9°24' E
HI

I live in the north-east of Sitzerland (47° 32' N / 9° 24' E) and I've got a Gibertini 125 dish.
I've aligned the dish for Astra 2D and reception is good (Level 75%, Quality 65-80%). The dish has got a Multifeed holder an I tried to get the other two satellites as well. Unfortunately I cannot get any sign of them.

Astra 2D -> 28.2°
Astra 1 -> 19.2°
Hotbird -> 13°

Do you think the setup should work like that or is there a general design fault?
How can I calculate the theoretical position for the other two LNB's on the Multifeed holder?
Which would be ideal transponders to align the LNB's for Astra 1 and Hotbird?
Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for your feedback.
Roger

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've never tried the multi LNB setup with a 1.25m dish Roger, but no reason why it shouldn't work, may be a little more difficult to set up than on a smaller dish.

You may find is easier to achieve if you can borrow an analogue receiver and set up on one of the many analogue channels.

The second and third LNBs will be pretty close together, probably almost touching. Also may be a silly point, but the multifeed holders that I normally buy are designed for the more Easterly satellites to be offset, you are doing this the other way around, so the bracket needs to be to the right of the prime LNB as you are looking from behind it, toward the dish.

xband

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
47°32' N / 9°24' E
Hi rolfw

I was thinking about the position of the Multifeed holder, fortunately I've come to the same conclusion...

To make shure there aren't any wiring / multiswitch / Diseq errors I've tried with a single LNB directly attached to the receiver. Again no signal quality reading at all!

From the dish alignmen calculation I've done:

Satellit Position Azimut Elevation Skew

Astra 1 19.2 167 35 -9
Astra 2 28.2 155 32 -16
Hotbird 13.0 175 35 -3

I can see that the elevation is not the same. What's the effect of this difference to the position of the LNB?

Could it be that the house is in the way for Astra 1 + Hotbird? I've attached a smal drawing of the situation.

Many thanks
Roger

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could well be the house Roger, but there is only 15 degrees difference between Astra2 and Hotbird, not a big angle.

The LNB should be slightly lower for Astra1 and very slightly lower again for Hotbird.

Although a pain to do, it may be worth trying to move the dish round to see if you can get the others as the prime focus, you would at least then know if you are wasting your time.

xband

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
47°32' N / 9°24' E
hi rolf

I was thinking of moving the dish round to check if I can get the others as prime focus, but as you said it a pain to do...

I'll try a get back to you...
Roger