Sky Digibox - Pace 2600 C1

Panasonic DMR-BS750 - Freesat/PVR/Blu-Ray

1.8m Channel Master
QDF-031 Quad LNB 0.3dB C120
CM Feedhorn
My Location
Gothenburg, Sweeeden
Hi!

I live in Landvetter, Sweden, which is about 20km east of Gothenburg and am seriously considering buying a larger dish to receive BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc. I've been offered a second hand Prodelin 2.4 metre dish for £300 (which seems cheap) + transportation from GB (approx £250).

Do you think this dish is big enough to receive watchable reception during 'normal' weather conditions? I'm not bothered if I lose reception during bad weather, but I would hate to go to the hassle of transporting this from UK and then finding out I can't pick up anything.

BTW I have a Grundig digibox, is this good enough, or should I change to a Panasonic or one of the newer FTA receivers?

Cheers,

Martin

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Have a look at this first. hxxp://www.astra2d.co.uk/
Click on reports and then on Sweden.Gothenburg area is reported to be very difficult for recieving Astra 2d.

stammerman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box - Thomson

1.8m Channel Master
CM Feedhorn
My Location
Gothenburg, Sweeeden
Hi!

Thanks for the info, but over the last few weeks I've looked at the astra 2d web site and according to the map, you need just a 1.8 metre dish, but I have also heard conflicting advice such as yours that 2.4 might not be strong enough.

Cheers,

Martin

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Reports from the ground are far more useful than looking at the footprint I'm afraid.

saint

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
gothenburg
Good luck , should be large enough

lets us all know how it goes

cheers kev

stammerman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box - Thomson

1.8m Channel Master
CM Feedhorn
My Location
Gothenburg, Sweeeden
Thanks for your feedback. I think it will probably take a month or so to organise transportation and installation, but I'll keep you posted.......Cheers....Martin

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
you will have more problems getting a good installation with it, it will have to have a good feedhorn and lnb and setup with a spectrum analyser.

i think parabolic.se may be able to give you advice on an installer, I don't think it will be cheap.

people like 'old satellite' on this forum should be able to help to if he reads the thread.

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A good 1.8 m dish should be enough. Thats what I'm using in Borås and for most of the year reception is perfect ( apart from very heavy rain ). The best way to install is to do it yourself and have a Tv next to you. Most installers in Sweden haven't a clue about Astra 2D and will tell you a 80cm dish is big enough for Sky OR that it is impossible to get 2D here ( from looking at the official footprint ) I'm no technical expert and if I can do it so can you.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
indios_se said:
people like 'old satellite' on this forum should be able to help to if he reads the thread.

You can PM (private message) him - find a post of his an chick on his name for the PM option.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
gameboy said:
You can PM (private message) him - find a post of his an chick on his name for the PM option.
Yes,very nice and helpful man.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Interesting option and the 2.4 Prodelin is very cheap - why should it be is my first question - are you sure that the dish has not been dropped or damaged in some way?

If the dish is new then a very good buy indeed, Astra 2 D for your lcoation is difficult at best due to generally poor side lobe performance at your location.

The vertical transponders in particular are difficult at your location I would suggest that the expected EIRP is between 36 and 40 DB, consequently there is risk even with a 2.4 mtr of very high quality that you will occasionally have problems during poor weather etc.

If you are willing to risk occasional drop of in signal then go for it, but keep a reservation in your mind that occasionally you may have reception problems.

What LNB, feed horn, and reciever have been selected for the system? you should set the system finally with a spectrum analysier.

best regards

Old Satellite

fly

Reaction score
Hi...Did you succeed_have you done anything about sky?
fly

stammerman said:
Thanks for your feedback. I think it will probably take a month or so to organise transportation and installation, but I'll keep you posted.......Cheers....Martin