gavman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TRIAX tallrikpaket 88cm
Inverto LNB med 0,3 dB
Pace 2600C1
My Location
Stockholm
Have been reading all info that I can find about getting Sky and the ITV & BBC channels in Sweden. I am about to take the plunge and have ordered a dish from a company in Sweden and Sky from England. Does anyone know of a good installer who knows what they are doing?(Stockholm area)
I have only ordered a 88cm dish as living in a radhus and was worried about planning permission (Do you need it?)and what the neigbours would say if I put up the 180cm dish in the back garden that a company in Malmo recomended, or the 120cm channel master that a company in Stockholm said would do the job.?? Who do you believe?? Having read some of the comments on this site I see that a chap uses a 90cm dish and picks up BBC what are my chances?? Any tips would be helpful!!!

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
gavman said:
Have been reading all info that I can find about getting Sky and the ITV & BBC channels in Sweden. I am about to take the plunge and have ordered a dish from a company in Sweden and Sky from England. Does anyone know of a good installer who knows what they are doing?(Stockholm area)
I have only ordered a 88cm dish as living in a radhus and was worried about planning permission (Do you need it?)and what the neigbours would say if I put up the 180cm dish in the back garden that a company in Malmo recomended, or the 120cm channel master that a company in Stockholm said would do the job.?? Who do you believe?? Having read some of the comments on this site I see that a chap uses a 90cm dish and picks up BBC what are my chances?? Any tips would be helpful!!!

Hi Gavman and welcome to the forum.

First of all, you don't need any permission to setup a dish anywhere within the EU as this would infringe with your rights of free information. Some may argue that this is not correct due to local laws, but EU law goes above local law, so it's up to you if you want to start a council battle and/or start fights with your neighbours. Ask your neighbours nicely and tell them about the benefits, and they might want to share the dish with you to keep the costs down :)

Also, you don't need a special SKY digibox to receive channels like BBC, ITV1-4, FilmFour etc as these are not encrypted. Any odd digibox will do the trick, but if you wish to subscribe later, you need the SKY box.

You don't need to fork out with loads of money getting an installer out as you can do this yourself. If you know how to handle a spanner we're all here to help you out as you go. Just make sure there's a free sight towards 28,2E and start a new thread in the correct "folder" in this forum.

Regarding the dish size. Depeding on what make the dish is 88cm might be a little too small. Check out lyngsat.com for the correct dish size in your area and/or kingofsat.com for reported working sizes...

Good luck

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I haven't seen too many reports from Stockholm, but there are a few about for relatively nearby towns. One of our members lives in Borlänge which is 200Km WNW of Stockholm and he uses a 1.2m dish, so with Stockholm being further South, you may get away with perhaps a 1m dish.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
We don't need planning permission for dishes here in Sweden.

88 cmis not good enough for Sky,180 cm in Stockholm is far too big,guess you will be ok with the 120.

There is also an alternative to Channel Master,Gibertini 120 is a lot cheaper.
Likvid,a member of this forum lives in Stockholm too,he can provide you with details about this.

gavman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TRIAX tallrikpaket 88cm
Inverto LNB med 0,3 dB
Pace 2600C1
My Location
Stockholm
Hi Steffan

I am hoping that you mean the 88cm dish is not good enough for the Astra 2d and that I will not pick up BBC + ITV. I will still get the other channel sky sports etc etc???? Won´t I???
Also how much does a 120cm gibertini go for and where is the best place to get it, The 120cm CM was going for about 2400:- the one I have ordered (TRIAX 88cm)and will be picked up today was about 700:-. Also fitting... The more I read into it the more I think I might just whack it up myself and see what I can pick up any ideas if thats a good thing to do. Had a quote for around 1000:- for someone to do the job but no idea what he is like?

isomies

Reaction score
I live just outside Norrköping, about a 160 SW of Stockholm. An 85cm gets reasonable reception on 2a and 2b (Men and Motors, Performance, Reality, BBC interactive channels, Sky News) but nothing at all on 2d.

A guy who lives near here reckons he gets everything on 2d, BBC 1,2 etc with an 80cm dish.

I want to get a bigger dish but have been put off by stories of people failing to get anything with a 140cm. If a decent 120 will work, then I'll give it a go

Can anyone recommend a decent retailer here in Sweden?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cupart said:
First of all, you don't need any permission to setup a dish anywhere within the EU as this would infringe with your rights of free information.

A private landlord can quite easily stop you erecting a dish here in the uk. Planning laws in conservation areas also forbid dishes in some locations. Quoting EU regulations at them will get you no-where

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
gavman said:
Hi Steffan

I am hoping that you mean the 88cm dish is not good enough for the Astra 2d and that I will not pick up BBC + ITV.

That's exactly what I mean Gavman.

There is also one other thing.It's not only the size of the dish that matters,but also the sensitivity of the receivers tuner!
SKY digiboxes aren't well known for their tuners sensitivity compared to many other brands and models of receivers (non SKY digiboxes).

2.400:- for a Channel Master 120 is a very reasonable price in my opinion,bying for example a Gibertini of the same size won't save you much.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
gavman said:
Hi Steffan

I am hoping that you mean the 88cm dish is not good enough for the Astra 2d and that I will not pick up BBC + ITV. I will still get the other channel sky sports etc etc???? Won´t I???
Also how much does a 120cm gibertini go for and where is the best place to get it, The 120cm CM was going for about 2400:- the one I have ordered (TRIAX 88cm)and will be picked up today was about 700:-. Also fitting... The more I read into it the more I think I might just whack it up myself and see what I can pick up any ideas if thats a good thing to do. Had a quote for around 1000:- for someone to do the job but no idea what he is like?

Contact Janne at Electro-Ton

Ralångsvägen 4
Tel: 08-722 00 16 / 08-722 00 17

They sell Andrew or Channel Master which is the same dish.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Cupart said:
Hi Gavman and welcome to the forum.

First of all, you don't need any permission to setup a dish anywhere within the EU as this would infringe with your rights of free information. Some may argue that this is not correct due to local laws, but EU law goes above local law, so it's up to you if you want to start a council battle and/or start fights with your neighbours. Ask your neighbours nicely and tell them about the benefits, and they might want to share the dish with you to keep the costs down :)

Also, you don't need a special SKY digibox to receive channels like BBC, ITV1-4, FilmFour etc as these are not encrypted. Any odd digibox will do the trick, but if you wish to subscribe later, you need the SKY box.

You don't need to fork out with loads of money getting an installer out as you can do this yourself. If you know how to handle a spanner we're all here to help you out as you go. Just make sure there's a free sight towards 28,2E and start a new thread in the correct "folder" in this forum.

Regarding the dish size. Depeding on what make the dish is 88cm might be a little too small. Check out lyngsat.com for the correct dish size in your area and/or kingofsat.com for reported working sizes...

Good luck

I guy in my area use a Gibertini 150cm and get all vertical transponders 24/7 on Astra 2D.

However if vertical transponders are not that important for you and BBC/ITV1 is good enough a Triax TDA110 would do the job.

However i would still get the Andrew 120cm dish, then you got some marginal during rain and you will probably get the vertical transponders 18/7

Contact the person about i gave you, they have worked with large dishes since the early 80's and know what they talk about.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Also, no planning permission or any other stupid regulations in Sweden.

If you got space, buy the biggest you can afford.

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
Hi,

I live in Bergen Norway and I tried a 90cm and it worked for 2A and 2B but I got bad weather drop out on 2D which in Bergen means very low availbility. I then tried a 120cm channel master and I can not recommend them highly enough. They dont distort in wind and and the bit error rate on all my channels no matter what the sateille and the weather is zero. Perfect.

Also installing the channel master was easy. One point I would definetly recommend is that if you are going for a big dish get a feed horn so you get the benefit.

Thanks,

Stvy

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
stvy said:
Hi,

I live in Bergen Norway and I tried a 90cm and it worked for 2A and 2B but I got bad weather drop out on 2D which in Bergen means very low availbility. I then tried a 120cm channel master and I can not recommend them highly enough. They dont distort in wind and and the bit error rate on all my channels no matter what the sateille and the weather is zero. Perfect.

Also installing the channel master was easy. One point I would definetly recommend is that if you are going for a big dish get a feed horn so you get the benefit.

Thanks,

Stvy

You also live much further to the West my friend, just on the edge of the offical Astra 2D footprint so a 120cm dish (almost no matter what make) should get you good signals...

gavman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TRIAX tallrikpaket 88cm
Inverto LNB med 0,3 dB
Pace 2600C1
My Location
Stockholm
My dish is now up and running, I will wait to get a bigger dish as my 88cm is doing well, I get sky sports,and sky news,CNN and loads more, am not getting ITV or bbc but do get channels 4 and 5, A big thanks to all who posted comments and tips to me.

The Happy English man!!

rellstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110cm dish
Inverto Universal Quad LNB
Pace 2600 C1 and DS430N Digiboxes
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi. I'm in Stockholm and planning to install Sky soon. I'm a complete novice but have read this forum and intend to use the following equipment:

Pace 2600 C1 Digibox (already purchased from UK)
Gibertini 120 dish
Invacom TWH-031 LNB

My questions are:
1) Can anyone recommend a 2d installer in the Stockholm area
2) I understand the Invacom TWH-031 LNB has an integrated feedhorn, will I need to buy anything else other than the stuff the installer uses (cable, mounting pole etc)
3) Is it generally better to buy the dish/LNB from the installer or buy it yourself from a reseller.

I'm just a bit worried buying everything myself in case the installer turns up and tells me I have a mismatch.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Skyforeurope

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, 1.2 metre gilbertini and good skew :)
My Location
arboga, SWE
rellstar said:
Hi. I'm in Stockholm and planning to install Sky soon. I'm a complete novice but have read this forum and intend to use the following equipment:

Pace 2600 C1 Digibox (already purchased from UK)
Gibertini 120 dish
Invacom TWH-031 LNB

My questions are:
1) Can anyone recommend a 2d installer in the Stockholm area

not really, just choose one out the phonebook, and say point the dish at the satellite dish at satellites at 28.2 east of south, for reference swedish channels are at 5 east and 1 west of south.

2) I understand the Invacom TWH-031 LNB has an integrated feedhorn, will I need to buy anything else other than the stuff the installer uses (cable, mounting pole etc)

that equipment choice is excellent and will even give you astra 2d vertical channels for 5 hours a day approx, if the job is a good one. a 1.5 metre gilbertini (and only gilbertini channel master quality) will give you all channels 24/7 within 200km of stockholm.
if you didnt have your own equipment, they would have come with a tin dish and an alps /samsung lnb and say 'det här ska duga'.
the equipment you have chosen is good, if your tv is gonna be a long way from the dish say 20m plus it might be worth getting some good quality cable too if possible :

3) Is it generally better to buy the dish/LNB from the installer or buy it yourself from a reseller.

buy it from hansa-electronic.com, i think he has the best deal on 1.2 gilbertinis and the LNB you need.

most important point is say to the installer is

1. the dish needs to be in a total clear view to the sky, trees any other objects and youve wasted your money on a good dish!, so get them to come and do a survey on your site first to find out where the dish can be put!

2.you need the skew doing properly on the LNB 1 cm either way and you wont even see the astra 2d channels, if they dont bother which they usually dont, i can fix it for you, ive done about 30 fine tunes in sweden already oh and fixed a few shoddy viasat installations too.

private messages are good :)

cheers
Richard, Skyforeurope.com sweden

aka2

Reaction score
I am really new to all this European sat stuff so I have a few questions.

I am moving to Bergen Norway soon and I want to take my Sky HD subscription with me. I have read a post above that states he had sucess with a certain type of dish but,....what is a feed horn?

Also can anyone tell me what channels I will NOT be able to get that I currently do (ie the entire Sky world HD package)

Tusen Takk!

:)

mikestone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I really have no Idea ! I have a 180 dish and a sky reciever & card and get most of the channels apart from ITV & BBC......but dearly want them ! :)
My Location
Hörby Sweden
I am in Hörby and wish to get ITV and BBC, Can I ? and what do I need ?
( total novice :)
I have a 180 dish picking up sky nicely !

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
I'm not that far away from you, between Eslöv and Höör. A good 180cm dish from Channel Master, a good LNB, and accurate alignment will get you the BBC, ITV and C4. Depending on the make of 180cm dish, you're possibly only missing the last bit.

mikestone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I really have no Idea ! I have a 180 dish and a sky reciever & card and get most of the channels apart from ITV & BBC......but dearly want them ! :)
My Location
Hörby Sweden
Hi Kitschcamp
Thanx for the reply !
I really have no idea what type of dish or LNB that it is as I know nothing at all about all this stuff. Maybe its something you could look at or help me with if ever you are in my area ?
Cheers