Astra 2d..South Sweden, which size dish please!

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Rabbit said:
Att.Likvid

Have not had much luck with Parabolic and Transnova. Either they dont answer or answer phone.
But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the distributers for CM in Sweden are Kjaerulff1 in Malmo. I found this out by calling CM European headquaters in Germany. So I have called them a few times and they have given me a few distributers in Helsingborg and Hässleholm. Allbäcks in Helsingborg seems to have given me a good price for the 1.8m dish. So I am waiting for Corrigap to have his one he just bought, fully installed and tested.
I called up Barcom in Stockholm, and they are only a distributer, not a sales-place.
Not too sure where this message should be posted...here, or in the '2d' main thread!

Rabbit:

I have found a Luxor 1.8m Cassegrain antenna for you that a guy in Uppsala sells.

I sold several of those during the 80's and it works like a 2.2m prime-focus antenna, it's very good.

I think you can get it cheap from him....

But you better check out the dish first so there are no damages to it.

I think the Channel Master 1.8m you looked at cost around SEK 10000:-

Contact me private and i give you the contact info for the Luxor antenna.

Here is a pic by the way:

34142_usl_s.gif

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att Likvid

I will wait to see the results from Corrigaps installation before making any decision on the size dish to buy.

Att.Corrigap

Any news on the installation yet? I still keep fingers crossed all will work ok!

R

roti01

Another expat in the Skåne 2d (Höllviken) blackhole here. 90cm with invacom 0.3 or MTI AP8 didn't cut it (bought prior to 2d turn up). Perhaps we should try to order some larger dishes 'en masse'. Had some positive feedback from 'nettopris' in Denmark but haven't got round to pursuing this. Who is the supplier in Malmö?
Looking forward to some success stories down here soon!

Best of luck,

Roti01

johnfallen said:
Thanks to Corrigap for linking to here from the Astra 2D site www.astra2d.co.uk
Great stuff.
Here is my experience with (mostly) a standard Nokia Viasat package but an older and slightly larger dish.

Dish: 90 x 80 cm Amstrad.
LNB: Nokia Universal (2624 5587-01)
Receiver; Nokia 9802S
Reception: Astra 2A, 2B (Radio 4 FM now, hurrah) no problem.
Astra 2D; enough to allow the receiver to lock on and save channels on 10,773 H (transponder 45) and 10,803 D (transponder 47) when tuned manually. But no picture, sound, or channel information. Also, the Nokia 9802S will not find those channels automatically on "channel update".
Anyone trying to get 2D from Malmö, Lund, Trelleborg, Copenhagen or the vicinity please contact me, we can probably compare notes to determine required dish sizes. Official footprints suggest "Scandinavia, forget it", but other reports show the problem is not that bad.

Here is an encouraging footprint:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5713

Has anyone here got any sense out of any local dealer? If so, which? E-mail me if you prefer.

Thanks again.

John

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att Corrigap

How has the installation progressed? Is there a problem, or is the supplier delayed?

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What is ''LOL'' please ? (seriously, I see it used everywhere and it's not as obvious as, say, ''AFAIK'')
Is there a list of more cool ''forum like this'' jargon ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
@rolfw
Ta for the explanation and for the list

@others on this thread

If it can cheer you up a little it is always relative who is a lucky sod.
For you -they live in Stockholm, for me- it would be you if you get lucky with a 1,8 m- that's still an acceptable size of a dish.
I am currently trying to source a ''reasonably'' priced 3m dish,LOL, which is bound to be several times more expensive and even then it is not guaranteed to get me anything and I have no reports to compare to.

Good luck to all 2D catchers

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.8 dish, Foxsat-HDR, Inverto LNB
My Location
South Sweden
Rabbit said:
Att.Corrigap

How has the installation progressed? Is there a problem, or is the supplier delayed?

Sorry for the delay.

The dish was installed on Saturday so I've had two nights of viewing that I'm going to try to summarize now, both under a relatively clear sky.

Vertical:
Approx two hours of slightly blocky reception in good weather between 17.00 and 19.00 on 10818 and 10788 (both BBC transponders).

Horizontal:
All 2d horizontal transponders receivable throughout the day, with the exception of 'Going Places TV' on 10921 which has been blocky between approx 21.00 and 23.00. Otherwise, there seems to be a low-point in reception quality between approx 22.00 and 22.30 which manifests itself in very slight blocking on 10773 (BBC) and, to an even lesser degree, on 10803 (BBC). Previous midday low-point (11.30 to 14.30) has disappeared.

Equipment:
Channel Master 1.8 m dish, with CM feedhorn
MTI AP8-TW LNB (0.6 dB, C120 flange)
Panasonic TU-DSB30
approx 12 m of CT100 cable

Lund, Sweden (approx 40 km due East of Copenhagen)

Now all that remains is to get rid of the old dish ... a)(2

Corrigap

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att Corrigap...

Good news, are you pleased with the results and your purchase of the CM?
One question...what do you mean by 'blocky reception'? Is it 'watchable' or do you get those squares on the screen where it stagnates the viewing picture? Also noticable when the sound cracks...if you know what I mean. Its quite difficult to explain!

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
Rabbit said:
Att Corrigap...

One question...what do you mean by 'blocky reception'? Is it 'watchable' or do you get those squares on the screen where it stagnates the viewing picture? Also noticable when the sound cracks...if you know what I mean. Its quite difficult to explain!

It is watchable but becomes irritating very quickly. It isn't so bad that it stagnates or freezes, but the sound does crack or chirp quite a lot. However, this only relates to the aforementioned travel channel.

Corrigap

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att.Corrigap

Its been a while now...System still working and functioning ok? Anything else to add to the afforementioned?

I have been waiting all this time for people to get back to me about two dishes I am now interrested in. Why in Sweden does things always take so long?! Sometimes I wonder if these institutions really want to sell you things...Anyway, the 2 dishes which I have to decide on purchasing is the same one you have CM1.8m, or the Patriot 1.8m. The Patriot is far much cheaper than the CM, and has a slightly better gain of .1dB. But it lacks behing in the antenna noise (CM..23K, and the Patriot...30K). Do you or anyone know if this figure is critical enough to cause problems?

I have been trying to find out getting a 2m Patriot, with a gain of 46.5 for the same price as a 1.8m CM, but the distributers in Malmo did not purchase those in bulk. This meant if I really wanted one, the transport costs would have been too much. Shame, cos that was the one to go for, based on reception in our area and being on the limits of the 2D beam.

/Rabbit.

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
Hello Rabbit

>>Its been a while now...System still working and functioning ok? Anything else to add to the afforementioned?

Yes and no, respectively.

>>I have been waiting all this time for people to get back to me about two dishes I am now interrested in. Why in Sweden does things always take so long?!

Tell me about it!

>>Sometimes I wonder if these institutions really want to sell you things...Anyway, the 2 dishes which I have to decide on purchasing is the same one you have CM1.8m, or the Patriot 1.8m. The Patriot is far much cheaper than the CM, and has a slightly better gain of .1dB. But it lacks behing in the antenna noise (CM..23K, and the Patriot...30K). Do you or anyone know if this figure is critical enough to cause problems?

Don't know anything about the Patriot I'm afraid but if it's only 0.1dB difference and the measurement is reliable I can't see it making too much of a difference. As regards the noise figure, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can answer that one. Does the Patriot come with a matched feedhorn? This is important for the LNB to 'see' the whole of the dish.

>>I have been trying to find out getting a 2m Patriot, with a gain of 46.5 for the same price as a 1.8m CM, but the distributers in Malmo did not purchase those in bulk. This meant if I really wanted one, the transport costs would have been too much. Shame, cos that was the one to go for, based on reception in our area and being on the limits of the 2D beam.

This is always going to be an issue of maximum gain for minimum outlay, which is what prevented me from going for the 2.4 m CM. That would have cost me about SEK30,000 just for the dish.

Corrigap

R

roti01

Rabbit,

Who are the distributors for the Patriot dish in Malmö and what does it cost?

Rgds,

roti01

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
roti01 said:
Rabbit,

Who are the distributors for the Patriot dish in Malmö and what does it cost?

Rgds,

roti01

The distributers are called 'Kjaerulff Distributers' (040-6797400). They are the main dealers that sell CM, Patriot ect in Sweden. They are essentially the Swedish agent, and then sell on to different outlets in Sweden. It is impossible to purchase direct from Kjaerulff, but if you call them they can give you the nearest outlet in your area. I called numerous outlets, but there knowledge was not very good, but one...Allbäcks in Helsingborg have been very helpfull. Kjaerulff can also give you an approximate price what you would pay in the shop (eg. 1.8m CM approx. 14000sek), but when I called the shop, this price reduced to approx 12000sek. The impression I received from Kjaerulff was the Patriot dishes are a lot cheaper than CM, but you will pay for better quality by buying CM. They also mentioned that most sales for Patriot was for smaller sizes up to 1.1m, and CM had the most sales for the larger dishes. Hope this info helps.
I still need to know about the antenna noise...what influence does this have on dishes? Dont understand! Someone please explain the basics...Thanks!

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att Corrigap

I have been away in Karlstad for a year, but now I am back...on the trail of the CM1.8m...
I have contacted the seller in Helsingborg, and funny enough the price for the CM1.8m Offset dish has now dropped down to 8400:-. Apparently this does not come with matching Feedhorn. I remember that you had bought a matching feedhorn...Was that from an outlet here in Sweden? I have only managed to find one outlet for a CM Offset Feedhorn with C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB from Satellite Superstore in the UK for £150. Is this a good deal in your opinion? I know also from your experiences the MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB is better, but do you know how much better? I am unable to find the feedhorn alone, and this must be bought with the Invacom LNB. Do I also need a feed support boss in your opinion?
One other question...What size pole did you need for the Az/El mount to slide onto? I have read 4.5" and 4". I know for a fact 4.5" Pipe is not commonly available.
I hope your system is working satisfactory since last year. Have you had any problems, and do you see any need for improvement? :)

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
>>I have contacted the seller in Helsingborg, and funny enough the price for the CM1.8m Offset dish has now dropped down to 8400:-.

This might be because CM went into liquidation a couple of months back.

>>Apparently this does not come with matching Feedhorn. I remember that you had bought a matching feedhorn...Was that from an outlet here in Sweden?

Correct, it came with the dish which was supplied by the installer (from Barcom, the main agent in Sweden for CM).

>>I have only managed to find one outlet for a CM Offset Feedhorn with C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB from Satellite Superstore in the UK for £150. Is this a good deal in your opinion?

Yes and no, pricewise it's a good deal but you don't want the Invacom LNB. Can't you get the f/h separately? I've found the guy who runs that place to be quite reasonable. Explain your dilemma and he might do you a deal with the APW instead, who knows?

>>I know also from your experiences the MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB is better, but do you know how much better?

All I can tell you is that on my old dish (Gibertini 1.5m) the APW got me almost an hour more of ITV every evening.

>>I am unable to find the feedhorn alone, and this must be bought with the Invacom LNB. Do I also need a feed support boss in your opinion?

Don't know what a feed support boss is. My CM came with all the stuff included.

>>One other question...What size pole did you need for the Az/El mount to slide onto? I have read 4.5" and 4". I know for a fact 4.5" Pipe is not commonly available.

The installler had a wall-mount specially made for me which is 4.5" diam and the dish mounting fits snugly onto this. I think all this was done through Barcom.

>>I hope your system is working satisfactory since last year. Have you had any problems, and do you see any need for improvement?

After slightly repositioning the dish (and tightening it!) after the installer, the picture is now quite stable and provides constant service, apart from during really bad weather, which was my objective. Going above 1.8m would have been too costly vis-a-vis the potential return, ie 100% coverage as opposed to approx 98%.

Corrigap

R

roti01

Hi Does anyone know where to get CT125 cable in S. Sweden?
By the way, I just got a secondhand CM1.8M from a helpful dealer in Shlm. He said he can get these for 8000SEK. I don't think that includes the feedhorn
(approx. 500SEK i believe) or the Mount (approx. 2000SEK). I think he travels down to Skåne every now and then, which is also a bonus...

http://www.algonet.se/~c-com/

When I get mine installed, I will post a report for my Pace 2600.

Rgds,

roti01

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
Don't know about the cable, but you could also try a Danish vendor next to Copenhagen airport (Kastrup) for the dish. He sells a 1.8m IRTE dish for 5000 DKK + shipping. He also has larger ones; e.g. a 3.1m for 10000 DKK. I don't know how IRTE compares to CM performance-wise.

http://www.nettopris.dk

(And I don't have any connection to the guy. :) )

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
Re CT125:

I gave up trying to find it in Sweden so I bought some when I was in the UK (at Maplins). It wasn't too dear there. Don't forget to get the special F-connectors while you're at it, they're slightly larger than normal to take the extra diam of the cable. I found it made a difference on my rig. Whereabouts are you roti01?

Re IRTE dish:

When I read up on this subject, I found that the CM was a good deal better than the IRTE as regards gain. But the lower price of the IRTE makes it attractive.

Corrigap

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
ATT Rabbit

VA-32 (PPP-120/180)
Matarhorn, offset,
Channel Master med kåpa 455:-

follow roti01's link:
http://www.algonet.se/~c-com/

then navigate to Parabol - Försäljning, then just over half-way down the page.

Corrigap