Astra 2d..South Sweden, which size dish please!

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
choudry said:
Hi , i live in Gothenburg where as in south Sweden its not easy to get Astra 2B,but from what i read it seems to be very difficult getting picture on some channels.But what about the Radio channels ?

I am intrested in getting "BBC 5 Live" have you had any luck with the radio channels using smaller dishes ? (1.2-1.5m)

The freq for BBC radio is : 10803 H

Radio Channels are the same as Picture Channels. Basically you will have to pick up 2D (not 2:cool: to receive Five Live. Gothenburg area is very differrent to us in the south, because the side-lobe from 2D is closer to you than us located in the south. That is why we need bigger dishes. Please have a read at the other threads of 2D in Gothenburg, where you will determine which size dish you need.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Anyone heard if they will place the channels on a better footprint or change satellite soon?

It would be better if they encoded the channels that are FTA and put them on a good beam covering Europe.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The BBC are highly unlikely to change the satellite to give wider distribution as the very reason they moved to 2D was to reduce the coverage for when they removed encryption.

I still don't understand why they moved Radios 2 and 4 back onto 2A/B. Possibly because there is very little (or even none!) here with copyright to be worried about.

PaulR

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Best thing if they encoded the FTA channels like BBC, ITV and more, they should be part of the Sky package for free, but encoded, then they could place them on Eurobird or similar.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that they moved the two radio channels to make them accessible to expatriates again and to maintain the balance of English language broadcasts in Europe.

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
rolfw said:
I believe that they moved the two radio channels to make them accessible to expatriates again and to maintain the balance of English language broadcasts in Europe.

That is correct, and they were free to do it because those (radio) channels were not 'constrained' as the result of 'Political decisions, with knock-on commercial decisions by SKY and BBC' as were and are the FTA channels.
Copyright is not an issue in all this! Coverage is determined by licence conditions (BBC and/or SKY) and these are determined by the UK Government (as I say on political grounds). Every indication we have, both from within the industry and from outside experts/commentators is that BBC and ITV FTA TV channels will remain on the 2D spot beam. What is worrying to 'expatriate viewers of SKY' is how many more channels will move from 2A/2B to 2D!!?? We have already lost the Parliament channel and H&L +1 channel. BBC Prime is available on Hotbird, but quite expensive, and there is no 'ITV Prime'!
As a final final on all this SKY is not licenced for reception by subscribers outside of the UK. Anyone watching 2A, 2B, or 2D outside of UK is (technically) comitting an offence under UK law - not that it would be easy to prosecute them.
Geoff
Cyprus - Land of Sun and Aphrodite.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes that is worrying because i only invest in a large dish because of the 2D beam, which may fall shortly anyway for me in.

If all Sky Digital channels would move in the future to footprints similar to 2D then i don't see the need for either a large dish or a motorised one and will be happy with the small 68cm dish for receiving Canal Digital from Sirius and Thor.

Just talk about all people who invested in large 3-4 meter dishes in Cyprus and other exotic areas.

Would Sky move? don't you think Sky make great money on selling contracts to middlehand brokers and people abroad?

Of course they know about the wide spread of people watching Sky outside U.K, but they make great money on it, they are just as greedy as any other company today.

geoffreys said:
What is worrying to 'expatriate viewers of SKY' is how many more channels will move from 2A/2B to 2D!!??
Geoff
Cyprus - Land of Sun and Aphrodite.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I found a link which that is interesting in USA for the DirecTV broadcast and they can make footprints from their satellites that only cover specific local areas like southern California, eg very focused and tight beams.

Check it out

http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/

We might see the same from Sky Digital in the future if they follow the same concept, i didn't know it was even possible to make such tight footprints that only covers a city like NYC or similar, scary....

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
sky digital wouldn't do it voluntarily anyway. they have too much of an income from expatriates. think about it, astra2d is hardly used at all, where as 2a and 2b is packed to the brim with most of skys own channels. however it is feasible that the beeb would favour a better system than even astra 2d. pretty hairy stuff, considering
some of these monster dishes people have put up to get the beeb in europe

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Cheer up guys...Forget about what might happen in the future, and concentrate on the present. No point on dwindling on what BBC or Sky may or may not do in the future. Lets enjoy what we have...Very good viewing and entertainment! :)