Astra 2D

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi Question from a newbie I have just bought a decoder Telesystem DS 4.4 I am living in the north of Italy bordering switzerland (varese to be precise) I bought a 1 M dish from an installer new he told me that it would be more than sufficent to receive astra 2D. When i point it at the astra the sat finder gives an intermittent signal the decoder cant see any signal . The question is do i need a bigger dish ? and if so how much bigger. Thanks in advance.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Thanks a lot it looks like I need a bigger dish I will try thanks again

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would have personally thought that a 1m would be sufficient, are you picking up anything on 28.2?

roger-roger

Reaction score
My Location
Switzerland
A 1 metre dish should be OK for Varese. But it might be easier to set up your dish with another satellite at 28.2 E.

Try setting up your receiver to search for an FTA channel on Astra 2A (for example, CNN at 12051 V 27500 2/3) and then try aligning your dish for a good signal.

Don't forget that dish elevation can also make a difference...

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
I cant seem to get any signal on the decoder other than hotbird it seems to drown out everything else i am a real time novice here so i don't know what is meant by elevation as regards 28.2 the sat finder beeps intermittently when pointed but the decoder finds no signal whatsoever. Thanks a lot everyone i really appreciate the help

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that the problem here is not being on the satellite, Astra 28.2 is 15 degrees further round to the east and a few degrees lower on the horizon.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I second Rolf and Roger-Roger's suggestions - 1m should do you there. I was considering sorting a FTA setup for my father-in-law just over the border in Lugano and I think 80cm should do *most* of the time. It just so happens that my f-i-l has a bloody big mountain in the way of his reception!

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
Oh and where did you get your setup from? I should've looked when I was at the big IPER in Varese on Saturday :(

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
I got the decoder from Trony in varese but they had no big dishes I was just lucky that the installer was in the shop finishing paperwork and he supplied me with cable plugs pole dish and lnb and stand for the terrace for €100

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi an update spoke to the installer and he says that if i use a 0.3 lnb instead of 0.7 i should be able to get the signal €58 for the lnb any suggestions anyone i really dont know if he just trying to sell me things he says a bigger dish would cost in the region of €400

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
see what you get when pointing the dish at the right bird and then go from there......

I have an Invacom quad 0,3 btw (Zurich) on a 1 m dish (used to use 53cm Arcon successfully bar sh1te weather) and it's more than sufficient.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are getting no signal at all, a 0.3 db lnb is unlikely to provide satisfactory results, you'd be better off asking the installer to align the dish for you.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi I have got what i think is astra 2A all the channels seem to be that of 2A plus some extra I have BBC CI and BBC sw sky news itn news (and lots of encrypted channels all english) but the other BBC stations i can find I have tried changing the elevation and moving slightly but there is no difference any ideas how i might get the rest of the channels ? Thanks everyone once again for their incredible patience and help.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You will probably need to add the transponders to the receiver, most standard lists seem to exclude them, you will find the details of the errant channels here http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hey thanks everyone i have added all the transponders and i have all the channels one slight little problem is although the sat adds the radio stations when i look for them there are none available. I think it might be one of the setting that i put in wrong

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
if you want the other bbc channels you need to enter the frequencies then youll be able to get bbc1 nw etc,bbc2wales,etc

TWAG

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Some sat receivers list the radio and TV channels separately, you may need to menu select them, or there may be a button on the remote.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
OK everyone once again thanks a million, Ihave everything sorted now I hope I can be as helpful to some one as you were to me Thanks again and no doubt i will speak to you all in another forum.
Dbolton