Astra 2D

KINGSFIELD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
My Location
Bristol
I have just managed to get my Fortec Beta system up and running in Devon but...
1) Why is Astra 2D listed as 28.2 E of S yet when I used a compass to set the dish I had to move it to 38 E of S?
2) Why are some channels unwatchable e.g.BBC 2, ITV West, yet others are perfect e.g. ITV 2, ITV Channel Iles?
3) If I bought a SKY freeview box can I just connect it in place of the Beta box?
Any help would be greatfully receivced.
KField

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Magnetic North differs from true North, hence the difference on your compass.

If some channels are unwatchable, then you are not aligned properly, or you possibly need to adjust the LNB skew (rotation), it should be between Seven and Eight O'clock. If it is a case that they are not found when searching, you probably need to add the correct transponders.

A Sky Freesat box would work fine.

KINGSFIELD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
My Location
Bristol
Thanx again for the help.
I did not think mag. N was that much different!
When you say adjust the skew can I just turn the LNB in its mounting or do I have to rotate the whole dish keeping the LNB at 0?
Does the SKY dish need a different sat?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just rotate the LNB. The Sky dish is designed for that sat. :)

KINGSFIELD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
My Location
Bristol
Brill.
I think I have finally got the hang of replying to you!
I just did a power scan at the azimuth and got lots of channels. By rotating the LNB will I then lose some of the channels that are fine now? Can you tell me what the channels called mercedes dal, audi dal or volvo dal (I think they were dal) are. Trouble is I am now back in Bristol and the dish is in Devon!!
The reason I am doing all this is because at my site in Devon their will be no digital aerial from next year and no Cable!
Thanx again.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There will only be one best skew position for the LNB for all frequencies, so go into the scanning mode so that it shows the signal and quality bars, then experiment with the LNB until you get the best. :)

To explain why this is important, the satellite transmits in horizontal and vertical polarities, if the satellite is not due South of you, the satellite will appear to be tilted, and the polarites will be skewed , so you twist the LNB to counter the offset.

KINGSFIELD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta
My Location
Bristol
Thanx
It is nice to find someone who actually knows what they are talking about and have patience too!
KField

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
rolfw said:
There will only be one best skew position for the LNB for all frequencies, so go into the scanning mode so that it shows the signal and quality bars, then experiment with the LNB until you get the best. :)

To explain why this is important, the satellite transmits in horizontal and vertical polarities, if the satellite is not due South of you, the satellite will appear to be tilted, and the polarites will be skewed , so you twist the LNB to counter the offset.

Hi Rolf...just got my new set-up sorted ...1 metre Channel Master with 1224 motor and matched feedhorn + inverto 0.3dB , Technomate 1500+ CI+ TMS...I noticed what you recommend here regarding the lnb...I rotated mine out of interest and the signal went up as you say...the position is also at about 7 to 8 o'clock.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Frank

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It is slightly different with a motorised dish Frank, the 1224 is an H to H motor, so tilts the dish as it sweeps the arc, saving the need to skew the LNB. You may still on occasions though, gain an advantage by very slight skewing, make sure that any adjustment you make improves signal quality and does not asdversely affect other satellites in the arc. :)

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
rolfw said:
It is slightly different with a motorised dish Frank, the 1224 is an H to H motor, so tilts the dish as it sweeps the arc, saving the need to skew the LNB. You may still on occasions though, gain an advantage by very slight skewing, make sure that any adjustment you make improves signal quality and does not asdversely affect other satellites in the arc. :)

Yes, I see what you mean Rolf. I skewed mine after reading that others move there LNB backwards and forwards along the collar to improve the signal, however, with the matched feedhorn this can't be done so I tried rotating it when on Thor and got a signal increase so I tightened up and left it like that. All satellites are coming through crystal clear :)

Frank