Astra 3A

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I apologise in advance for being a novice :-doh!

My wife is Czech and I am determined to get the Czech Link package on the Astra 3A satellite.

I live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire (eastern England) and the satellite footprint is showing the same as eastern Czech Republic so I believe I should be able to pick this up.

I have located the Astra 3a sat and can pick up a few channels like 'Hollywood tv' and 'luxe tv'. I have been told that the czech channel CT24 is a freeview channel. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct as I think I may need the Czech link card. If it is free my plan is hopefully to pick this one up and then I can buy the Czechlink card and cryptoworks as all the other channels are on the same frequency.

I do have an obstruction with a neighbouring house but can site the dish higher. It is an 80cm dish.

thank you in advance for any help. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
80cm seems a tad small to receive the bulk of channels on that satellite, you will probably get a lot of signal dropout.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
3A is weak in the UK - you may find not all transponders are available without a bigger dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Damn - beaten by rolf again.... :D

Must type faster.....

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thank you all........very quick. I have been onto Lyngsat. I think what I will do is try locating my dish higher on the house and see what I can pick up that way first.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Analoguesat said:
Damn - beaten by rolf again.... :D

Must type faster.....

Rolf is higher up than you, he knows about posts before they happen :|

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
thevicar11 said:
thank you all........very quick. I have been onto Lyngsat. I think what I will do is try locating my dish higher on the house and see what I can pick up that way first.

If your dish currently has a clear view of the sky, then moving the dish wont make any difference whatsoever.

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat, the LNB (hope that is right) is pointing into the apex of a house and I have the dish 6 feet off the ground. what do you think?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are getting channels off 3A then the signal is missing the house. Digital is all or nothing. The satellite is going to be at an elevation of about 25- 30 degrees above the horizon in Peterborough, so its probably higher than you imagine.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Jumbuck sems to get a fairly good signal in that part of the world from 3A on a 1M Gibbi, so it is possible on the extreme east coast maybe.

L.:)

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+ 500GB, 85cm transparent dish on motor, 50Mbit line, Czech Link
My Location
East coast UK
There are many people from Czech who are experiencing problems with the reception from Czech link from 3A, It even seems that Slovak link is on a stronger transponder.

If you are after Czech telly you could always get UPC Direct, you would be able to use a considerably smaller dish. Also from today about 1PM the TV channel Nova has started transmitting there, furthermore the sports channel CT4 will be available from 10.2. You should be able to get the receiver from them and prepay the service for a year for about £150.

You can also get CT24 at 19.2

laserquest

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s,Gibertini motorised dish,Titanium 0.2db LNB
My Location
Birmingham UK
student said:
You can also get CT24 at 19.2

It's also on Astra 28.2!

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East coast UK
Unfortunately it’s not any more. Czech link was available up to of middle of January there. Now only on Astra 3A or UPC at 19.2

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom.......its been a big help to stop me going crazy :eek:

So if my deductions are correct it is purely about dish size now. I need to pick up 12525V on tp14. So on the same satellite the transponders can vary in strength?

If it is dish size does anyone have any suggestions what I will need (refer to first post for location). I have 80cm at the moment.

UPC is an option as a last resort as it is the costly option. I can obtain Czech Link card from Czech Republic and register it there for about £60.

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East coast UK
I guess best bet is to try get CT24 as it is FTA to see if you can pick up CZlink with that size dish.

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have had a major success O-Ha

I can get the free slovak channels ok....Joj and TA3.

Czech TOP TV and Ocko are breaking up.

So dish size is my question.

:) :) :) no channel catch on Czechlink transponder frequency

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Slovak tp seems to be the strongest on 3A. Its regularly reported as good when the Czechs are poor.

(Instead of changing the dish change the wife :D)

thevicar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nice one analogue :) complicated by the fact we are expecting our first child in April........

Will the picture strength give me any idea of dish size I need.....on the frequency I need it is flitting between 0 and 22%

On the slovak channels I can pick up it is 49%

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
thevicar11 said:
I apologise in advance for being a novice :-doh!

My wife is Czech and I am determined to get the Czech Link package on the Astra 3A satellite.

I live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire (eastern England) and the satellite footprint is showing the same as eastern Czech Republic so I believe I should be able to pick this up.

I have located the Astra 3a sat and can pick up a few channels like 'Hollywood tv' and 'luxe tv'. I have been told that the czech channel CT24 is a freeview channel. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct as I think I may need the Czech link card. If it is free my plan is hopefully to pick this one up and then I can buy the Czechlink card and cryptoworks as all the other channels are on the same frequency.

I do have an obstruction with a neighbouring house but can site the dish higher. It is an 80cm dish.

thank you in advance for any help. :)
thevicar11... welcome :D Are you really a Vicar? I digress...

I have a similair problem, just girlfriend not wife motivated...

Firstly you should be able to get CT24, Ocko, Top TV and 24cz I think is the 4th channel (Czech parlementary channel... or you can forget this and just watch paint dry as a fourth option) clearly on Astra 19.2E, Much easier than 23.5 which I have had no luck with.

I have a 85cm dish and have had no luck with Slovak/Czech link on 23.5, but if you can get the signal stronger, the card is 2.229 Kč (~£53 - price from December when I was last there) in Czech and should give you CT1/2 and a better selection. You'll need a Cryptoworks CAM as well as the card.

I find on my Technomate that anything less than 60% signal is distorted, but those 0-100% readings differ between two versions of the same reciever, let along manufacturers! So your expereince might be different.

Having investigated, tweaked, fiddled and investigated some more I would be suprised if you can get Czeck link where you are without a bigger dish - I am south of your location (closer to intended footprint) and it does not work for me.... we have settled with the 4 channels on 19.2E for now.

Let us know if you have any luck... and how you did it if the answer was not a bigger dish!

Paul