Astra, Hotbird and W2 on one dish

joseluis2007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish with double LNB pointed to Astra and Hotbird. Digital receiver Medion
My Location
Spain
Good day!
I currently receive Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E with a 80cm dish and a double LNB setup with a Disecq switch and a Medion digital FTA receiver

Now I want to add W2 16E. Do I need a third LNB? I have tried to receive it on both ports but seems not to show up.

I live in Madrid,Spain

Could anybody help, please? Thank you:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum joseluis2007

Well in general terms you are correct but the reality of any foot print means that you may not be able to lock and scan them you require more info (intel\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\0

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will of course not receive a satellite 3 degrees away from your LNB, you will miss it on both the Hotbird and Astra 1 LNBs. The problem with W2, is that it is too close to the other satellites for most types of LNBs to be used on the same offset bracket, there are very narrow LNBs on the market which will just about achieve this though.

A better solution would be to have a second dish, or perhaps add a motor to your existing dish, there was supposed to be a monobloc LNB to do this precise job, but it has taken more than two years to release it, so it probably isn't going to happen. Do a google search for "Horizon pyramid lnb".

joseluis2007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish with double LNB pointed to Astra and Hotbird. Digital receiver Medion
My Location
Spain
Thanks a lot.

No way I could install a second dish, no space available and I already have problems with my current dish. A motor could be a possibility, but it is expensive and also I do not know if there is enough space behind the dish to mount it.

I was surprised to know that we can receive two satellites 6º apart with one dish but not 2 satellites 3º apart. The horizon pyramid would be a very nice solution and would save the external switch, but no use if it is not available...

Just in case, I have sent Horizon a request for information.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The problem is that normal LNBs are too wide to fit close enough together for the 3 degree angle of difference and European monobloc LNBs are 6 degree separation, i guess they could be made with three, but there is probably not the demand to justify it, probably what has happened with the Pyramid LNB.

The motorised option is not expensive, and can be easy to fit, see my tutorial in the tutorials section above.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I do not know what happened to my post above lol, most of it disappeared but it seems that Rolf has covered all the points however 16 East can be a difficult bird to pull in at times especially on an 80cm. I think the motor is certainly going to be the best option based on what you have now said.