Astra in Poland

martopolo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
poland
I live in Kielce in Poland. I know it is well outside the 2D footprint and at the moment I can't get 2D with an 80cm dish (not surprisingly). I've seen adverts over here for 185cm dishes at a very reasonable 120 pounds but do you think this will be the answer?

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
If it is Astra 2D and Sky that you are looking for at your location I would suggest that you invest in a 2.4 mtr the 1.8 I beleive will prove to small for reception at your location.

Regards

Old Satellite

Dougpol

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

Who is this Warsaw company please? As to lat and long, 180 cms should be OK. with the right, correctly skewed, LNB shirley?

At 50 degrees N 19 degrees E, Katowice S.Poland

120 cm offset, Panasonic 30, Grundig 0.6, NO 2D
Researching in this locale....

Cheers,

JD

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.8 dish, Foxsat-HDR, Inverto LNB
My Location
South Sweden
Could they actually be still watching on 2A or is this a hopeful sign for expats in Poland?

Even if you store the test transmissions on 2d (10773H & 10803H) using 'add channels' and then view them using 'other channels' you still end up watching the 2a transponders (11720H & 11798H) due to the configuration of the Network Allocation Table*.

An easy way to prove this is to disable low-band reception via the installer's menu. I did this and ITV1, Going Places and the RTE radio stations all disappeared, while the BBC channels remained (i.e. the ones stored via 'add channels' and viewed via 'other channels').

* I've read that the NAT will change on 21 or 22 May, if it does then we'll really see what BBC reception is like from 2d.

Dougpol

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for that. My neighbours here are a resourceful lot put I'm not sure they're all that clued up on Astra 2D ........
I reckon that's what has happened. As you point out, it'll all come out in the wash.

Talc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Dougpol
Hi,

Who is this Warsaw company please? As to lat and long, 180 cms should be OK. with the right, correctly skewed, LNB shirley?

At 50 degrees N 19 degrees E, Katowice S.Poland

120 cm offset, Panasonic 30, Grundig 0.6, NO 2D
Researching in this locale....

Cheers,

JD

Visionquest is a Warsaw satellite instaler that caters for the expat community. They are expensive and so don't get my endorsment.

If you want to contact them then http://www.visionquest.pl

I haven't heard of anybody in Poland getting 2D. I will post if I do. Stockholm is on a similar longitude but there appears to be an abnormality there allowing thr (lucky) residents to get 2D (so I have heard) on a 1.20 M dish. I have heard from other posts that southern Sweden needs a 2.5 M dish and I would expect that this is probably a good bench mark to start with. The only posistive info is that from looking in the Polish satellite magazines dishes are a bit cheaper. I will post some prices if anyone is interested. However this probably wont help me as I live in an apartment and 2.5 is probably too big to attach to my roof or balcony.

I hope this helps

Talc

Dougpol

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Talc.........

Today TVP Warsaw intimated to Darek Kurtko at Gazeta Wyborcza that a 2.4 dish is definitely the go.......

I too live in a block but am prepared to take the plunge after summer as I run English schools and find the BBC very useful source material.

All bad news though so far...

JD

Talc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Doug

A friend of mine will be testing dishes (in Warsaw) next week or so, and I will post the results once I get them.

I am still hoping that a high quality 2M dish such as C-Masters etc and an upgraded LNB will do the trick.

From what I understand The difference in weight of larger dishes is such that a 2m dish is 30Kg and I suspect can still be attached to a wall or a balcony.

A 2.5 M dish is about 100kg and a 3.5M dish is about 300kg both will require a garden installation with a cement foundation (and serious cash)

The irony is I was recently choosing whether to buy a house or a flat and completed the purchase on my flat 2 days before hearing about BBC's move to 2D !

cheers

talc

Dougpol

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Useful info Talc regarding dish weights!

The wind factor must also be a problem when installing on apartment balconies etc. My estate was built on an incline and the wind funnels through the gaps between blocks. If you live in a 70s city housing estate, you could always negotiate to install on the roof, and others could feed from the signal too if they were interested.
The only problem with that is that housing management committees here are still a little bit, er. how should I put it.... old fashioned in their thinking, and it's not simply a matter of paying a lease fror roof space....

I am going to try this approach. I could always put a dish in the mother in laws' garden, but she doesn't deserve good television.....

JD

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Chaps its possible to pick up the interactive BBC 1 channels FTA on if you programme the channels manually. The interactive channels are beamed on the Astra 2b south beam not 2D like the main BBC 1 & 2. Check Freq 12441V (http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html)

If you use a sky digibox they drop off every evening and need re-installation however with a Non sky didgibox (I have a Humax, Viaccess cam) you will get all 8 interactive channels.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
What's the difference between the BBC Interactive channels on 2B and ordinary BBC on 2D?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Made a search for the interactive channels last night and only one of them was broadcasting and it hadn't much in common with ordinary BBC 1,some shit about exercising your butt all evening.
The other channels only had an info picture with sound.

Cheers

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
normally interactive channel 7 is BBC. Its good for the major sporting event (i.e. olympics, cup final, Wimbledone etc etc)