Astra1/astra2/hotbird on 1 dish ? HELP

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
Hi all,

I will be moving house in a cpl of wks and need to setup a dish to view Astra1(19.2E), Astra2(28.2E) and Hotbird(13E). I currently have an 80cm(I live in London) Dish with a monoblock LNB (astra+hotbird) connected to an Echostar DSB2200VI receiver.

I have thought of 3 optios of acheiving possible success as :

1)) Hook up a H-H DiseqC mount to my existing Dish setup and then get a Diseqc Positioner , and a manual A/B Switch for the two receivers(i.e. digibox & Echostar)

2)) Use a bigger dish(88cm ?) with 1LNB((28.2E) + Monoblock LNB(19.2E & 13E), and each output connected to the two receivers.

3)) Use a bigger dish(88cm ?) with 3 LNB's- 1 goes to digibox and the other 2 go via a 2way diseqC switch to the Echostar.

I am to a certain extent technical hence will possibly be doing the installation myself. If all fails, then I will get in an installer to carry out the other half of the job. saves money !!:D

I am not sure if option 1 (even though it might be the easiest option to setup) is good since I have read a few things in this forum about H-H DiseqC motors going wrong . Please correct me if I am wrong

RECOMMENDATIONS WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED !!

Further, most shops I have dealt with dont seem to know much or they just want to sell you what they have got.

Please can I have specific names of items that i might need. Especially what dish or arm or LNB brackets name & model I will need + which shops to get them from. Any picture/website will also be appreciated.

THANKS 4 taking time to read this !!!

css_jay99

:confused

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
For this and more satellites it would be worth going for a motor, but you need to be sure you have a dish capable of fitting onto the pole. Then sellign off the monoblock will get enough cash for a decent low noise LNB. You will need a receiver capable of driving the motor, what ever type it will be.

Otherwise, its trying to adapt your existing dish to look at three satellites. Again you have to get shot of the monoblock and try two LNB extension arms on the end, this time with three LNBs and a DiSEqC four way switch

Its down to you

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
My Echostar receiver has a built in diseqC 1.2 but no internal positioner.

I am not sure I see how a DiSEqC 4 way switch will work with three LNB's when i will be connecting to 2 receivers(digibox & echo*)

css_jay99

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As CH says, the motor is the better bet (DiseqC motors seem to be fairly reliable), but that doesn't fit too well with the Sky digibox. You could probably get away with using the monobloc and an additional bracket to take the 28.2 LNB, there will probably be enough signal there to operate relatively trouble free.

What many people do is mount an extra minidish in the shadow of the motorised unit and seem to get away without complaint. That would then give you a permanent Sky connection and a dish which you can point at any of several exellent satellites, without any manual switching.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
unlike rolfw and CH, I would get another dish and put up a setup like this:

Hotbird/astra19.2:
1x Dish, 2x lnb, 1x FTA Reciever, 1x Diseq 2/1 Switch

Sky:
1x Dish, 1x Lnb, 1x Skybox

The reason for this is that I have a feeling that permanent setups are more reliable, maybe I'm wrong but the diseq motors I've tried were not that good when it comes to fine tune the signal.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
I am not too sure about having 2 dishes especially since i dont know what my neigbours will be like.

My only other alternative for 2 dishes is if i can mount one right on the floor in the garden away from prying eyes. The only problem is that my misus will certainly not be pleased. I stand beign nagged to death about it. heck i would not even rule out sabotage O-Ha

I have seen some 3LNB dish in like the Gemini 90Cm Tri Sat Dish
. Do they work well or is there loss of signal.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Originally posted by css_jay99
I am not too sure about having 2 dishes especially since i dont know what my neigbours will be like.

My only other alternative for 2 dishes is if i can mount one right on the floor in the garden away from prying eyes. The only problem is that my misus will certainly not be pleased. I stand beign nagged to death about it. heck i would not even rule out sabotage O-Ha

I have seen some 3LNB dish in like the Gemini 90Cm Tri Sat Dish
. Do they work well or is there loss of signal.

I have no experience withthose multisat dishes that can get up to 8 different satellites, but in england every second house has a dish, so I don't see a problem for you just to have two. Here in sweden it is very rare to have a satellite dish, that is because of the very large cable network.

The first month in my current appartment, my neighbours complained that it destroyed the "beauty" of the house, but I just ignored them, so now I have 3 dishes, 1 UHF antenna(for DigitalTerrestrial), and cable-tv, and no complains. BUT no time to watch tv as I "play" with the hardware all the time instead.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look HERE and do a search for wave frontier on this forum, it may be an answer to your situation.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Originally posted by rolfw
Have a look HERE and do a search for wave frontier on this forum, it may be an answer to your situation.

That Toroidal Dual Reflector Antenna seems to be exactly what I need(I don't like motors), it just seems too expensive.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I reckon you can probably shop around for a good deal on one Leonard, do a search with Webferret or Google and see what comes up.

Pligs76

Reaction score
My Location
uh::no
I am using the Toroidal 90 with 5 LNB's in the south of Germany: 1W, 5E, 13E, 19.2E & 28.2E.

On the Astra2 I run a Quad Switch LNB and get 100% signal and 80% quality on a Grundig 310/2 on all eight locations.

The remaining four are connected via a 4/1 Diseque. All works extremely well - here. Believe Sirius (5E) and Thor (1W) are more difficult from the UK - if you should want those.

Pligs76

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester