ASTRA2 and+Eurobird1 on one LNB?

ALIEN1X

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE YET
My Location
UK
Hi,
I had a quote for a FTA install today from a Cai approved contractor to install a Dish for Hotbird at 13e with 2nd LNB for astra2 and Euorbird 1 at 28E on a 90cm dish.
I was informed that if I wanted to receive Astra2 abd statallites which are the SKY Freesat ones at 28.2E it would not be possible to pickup Eurobird1 28.5E which is also part of the SKY Freesat as the distance apart is too great ?
Am I missing somthing here? They are both very close?
I was under the assunption you could get both Astra/Eurobird or just simply scan or tune-in to the ones you want?
So if I'm wrong which satallites are used for all sky freesat
Channels?

Regards
Alien1x

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You don't say where you are in the UK, but generally, a 90cm dish like the Raven Gemini will get you Astra 19.2, Astra 28.2/Eurobird 28.5 and Hotbird with an offset bracket, without too much trouble.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Most hobby sized dishes have an acceptance angle of around 3 degrees, so the 0.3degrees between Astra 2 's and Eurobird 1 wont make any difference whatsover - they are effectively co-located in space

ALIEN1X

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE YET
My Location
UK
The dish is a Triax 88cm, 0.5bd unversal LNB'S, location rear garden in UK Essex.

So why are the installers telling me diffrent? Thought they would know about this.

I Even asked if I could connect my freeview box via RF loop cable to the receiver so I can view some off the channels I cant receive and in DVB.They had no answer for that?

Regards
Alien

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that they must have misunderstood what you were asking them, as Analoguesat says, they (Astra 28.2 and Eurobird 28.5) are co-located and perfectly straightforward to receive with a single LNB.

Not quite sure what you want to do with the Freeview box though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Freeview box?? As rolf says a freeview box isnt going to do anything for you.

Either sling the freeview box in a skip, or get your teminology right

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well it can be used with a normal terrestrial aerial AS, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the satellite setup and is what is probably confusing the installer.

ALIEN1X

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE YET
My Location
UK
Yes, you are all right, the installer must have got confused.

Only want use the freeview as back up, and the few channels that You can't receive on FTA, I know its not alot.

However, I have heard on may posts that pic quality on freeview channels is better then the same channels on satellite?

I think I need to keep the connection to freeview as it is but the Satellite receiver is connected to a second scart on the TV,and just switch between the two.

Regards
Alien1x

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I've certainly been impressed by the picture quality from most of the Freeview boxes, it will probably have more choice as time goes by, particularly if channels like Film4 become included as is being discussed at the moment.

jefftaylor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
p111
1.3 mtr dish
twin lnb
pace 430n
My Location
spain
astra 2 a/b/d and eurobird make up part of the satelites that are astra 2 so it is posable to have astra 2 and hotbird on the same dish as long as you have a 6deg bracket or are using a monoblock head

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately a six degree bracket or monobloc will not cut the mustard, as Hotbird 13E and Astra2 28.2E are 15 degrees apart.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
1) Effectively, Eurobird and Astra2 ARE at the same position, and therefore "behave" like a single satellite! Both together make up the UK Sky "system", and are received through the same lnb (for which reason, the SKy channels are "shared out" between them, so there can't be any re-used frequencies). The very tiny angular separation is "almost nothing", ie, nothing!

2) Although only a smallish 60cm dish is needed in most of UK to get any one of the "big 3" (astra1, astra2/eurobird, hotbird), to get all 3 on a single non-moving dish needs a bigger size - maybe 90cm - because the 3 lnbs are then all placed "off focus", hence each one can only use a limited part of the dish's surface.

3) Freeview is a completely different system, and uses a tv aerial only, such receivers will get nothing from a satellite antenna!

for some pics of a triple lnb bracket system, see:
www.satellitesuperstore.com/multisat.htm .

(Note, using more than 1 lnbs requires diseqc switching, which Sky digibox receivers don't have, so your installer was really and truly mixed up!).