Astra2D in Rome

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello Guys, Does anyone have any latest news about what dish Size is needed in the Rome region to receive Astra2D? Thanks/Grazie

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks for your Reply. One more question; From june onwards leaving aside bbc channels, how can i get channel 4 and 5? Do I still need a sky digibox and a card? Will I be able to get these 2 channels in the clear may be with a smaller dish in rome? Thanks again!

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for your reply: One more question: From June onwards, leaving aside bbc channels, what will I need should I want to get in Rome only Ch.4 and 5 only? Will I still neet a ski digbox and a card?

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
A Patriot 3.8mtr dish prime focus with an ADI feed horm and 0.5 DB best at the time ) has been used to recieve Astra 2d at a southern rome location.

However it required an additional receiver with Polar rotor control, for seperation of the weak 2 d signals from the stronger Astra 2 a signals. normally Universal switched lnb could not be used!

Regards

Old satellite

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Again . Can Someone tell me how much Do I expect to Pay in the Rome area for a 3.8M dish? Do I need necessarily a garden to set it up? Thanks

meatball

Reaction score
Website
vsatcommunications.utvinternet.com
My Location
dublin/Ireland
Old satellite,

do you mean that a magatic polarizer is required to to skew the unwanted astra 2a signal out of the the desired frequency, and do you know what location this other 3.8m patriot antenna is at. and if possible a email address.

many thanks,
meatball.O-Ha

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
A 3.8 mtr dish requires substantial ground works approx 1 cubic mtr of concrete as a pad foundation plus approx 125 mm pole etc.

You can only normally only fit this type of dish to a building if you have a roof area that is designated with the approprite loading on its construction. Normally a civil engineer, etc would be required here as well as zoning or planning permission permits etc.

The Polorotor is a mechnical device, and not a magnetic device you normally require such as the Echostar or simlar recievers to operate a polorotor, this is required to Adjust the Skew very accurately.

Installing a 3.8 mtr satellite dish is not for the normal do it yourself, the avarage dish is approx 250 -300 kg and requires lots of help!

If you take a look at the Patriot web site you will see you can download the manual for the dish and it provides a lot of very usefull information on installtion requirements etc

http://www.sepatriot.com/

Regards

old Satellite

meatball

Reaction score
Website
vsatcommunications.utvinternet.com
My Location
dublin/Ireland
old satellite .

I,ve been involved the microwave business for 18 years, with extensive work in antennas from 30cm to 3.8 metre, from 4ghzs to 38 ghzs, the only problem is working outside the main footprint area of a satellite signal.Worked for the first satellite store in ireland in 1985.

many thanks,
meatball.

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
I'm in Rome as well, and would consider getting a 3.8M dish if it enabled me to keep the BBC. Provided, of course, that the 2D beam does not get any narrower come June.

So if anyone could recommend a serious, professional installer in the Rome area I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi, I can recommend u a professional installer, but let me ask u what dish size do u have now? do u have a garden to set up a 3.8m one? thanks

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Rob
From June onwards, leaving aside bbc channels, what will I need should I want to get in Rome only Ch.4 and 5 only? Will I still neet a ski digbox and a card?

Following BBC's announcement that they would go FTA, there were some hints that others (ITV etc.) may follow suit. To my recollection, none of that has been decided though. As things stand at the moment, it is still expected that you'll need a digibox for Ch4 & 5 (since they encrypt in Videoguard and no other receiver or CAM can handle the UK variant of Videoguard).

In fact, I am now hearing noises that BBC may reverse its decision since it has been independently advised that their EPG deal with Sky (whereby they occupy the 101 & 102 slots) is good value. And there were always those who insisted that BBC's noises about going FTA were nothing more than a negotiating ploy.

2old

sayireand

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Madrid
Originally posted by Old Satellite

The Polorotor is a mechnical device, and not a magnetic device you normally require such as the Echostar or simlar recievers to operate a polorotor, this is required to Adjust the Skew very accurately.

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but can these polorotors be bought anywhere and how are they set up with a dish. I'm working with a 1.35m which gives 2D Vertical 24/7 but lots of problems with the Horizontals

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
Originally posted by rob_drani
Hi, I can recommend u a professional installer, but let me ask u what dish size do u have now? do u have a garden to set up a 3.8m one? thanks
Hello,

Yes, I have a garden with ample room for one of these monsters. ;) At the moment I have a 1.5M fixed dish on the roof, and a 1.2M motorized system in the garden.

I have asked around, but couldn't locate any installers that seemed experienced enough to put together such a system. And, needless to say, I don't feel confident doing it myself.

Obviously, if the BBC does not go through with the move none of this will be necessary. So I won't be making the final decision until June...

Ciao.

barney

Reaction score
CIAO,
MY 3MT DISH IN ABRUZZO, WAS INSTALLED BY A ROMA TECHNICAL.
IT IS SKILLED FOR BIG DISH. HE WORS IN ALL ITALY.
HE KNOW THE PROBLEM AND CAN HELP YOU.
CIAO

mick1539

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Threepwood
I'm in Rome as well, and would consider getting a 3.8M dish if it enabled me to keep the BBC. Provided, of course, that the 2D beam does not get any narrower come June.

So if anyone could recommend a serious, professional installer in the Rome area I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Hi Im Also in Rome (Few Km South) I have heard about a Guy who is testing dish sizes for 2D in Rome. This chap is suposed to be one of the main guys who installs Sky systems for the Expats around here. I will try to get his details and post you them,and i oneed to say that when and if he pins a size down they will be in demand, And everyone will be binning there 1.2's

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
Thanks mick1539, please keep us posted.

It looks like the move to 2D is still on for the end of this month, despite all the behind-the-scenes bickering between Sky and the Beeb. :(

I can't say that I'm looking forward to having a 4 Meter behemoth of a dish in my backyard, but I'll do whatever it takes to keep the BBC.

Ciao.

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
Next saturday I'm going to test a 1.50 Echostar dish at the installer site (Alberto 066522569 one of trustworthy person)
I ask the price for a1.80 Echostar and it's €1000, the problem for my system is that the dish is on top of the roof 1.80 is too big and the garden is north of the house unfortunately.

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
Alberto 066522569 one of trustworthy person
Thanks Expat2!!

Good luck, and let us know how the test goes next Saturday.

At the moment I have a 1.5 meter Offset dish here in Rome... I was never able to get anything from Astra 2D. :(

And judging from other reports from this area, I'd say that anything under 3.8 meters is too small. sigh.

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Er......anyone here in N.E. Spain

I've lost the BBC after about 7pm.......just before Eastenders:mad: