Astro Sat

C

Coca-Cooper

Some advise please!

In the Cyprus Weekly, Astro Sat are advertising BBC, ITV and SKY offers. For Limassol (Mesa Yitonia) they say at 2.7m dish will receive ITV, BBC and SKY 24 hours a day. CYP1150 Dish and Decoder or CYP850 for the dish and installation.

Is this right???? I've always thought the "rule" for Limassol was:

1.8m SKY - (most channels) - 18 hours
2.4m SKY (most channels) - 24 hours
2.7m SKY (all channels) - 24 hours
3.0m BBC
3.7m ITV

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Coca-Cooper said:
Some advise please!

In the Cyprus Weekly, Astro Sat are advertising BBC, ITV and SKY offers. For Limassol (Mesa Yitonia) they say at 2.7m dish will receive ITV, BBC and SKY 24 hours a day. CYP1150 Dish and Decoder or CYP850 for the dish and installation.

Is this right???? I've always thought the "rule" for Limassol was:

1.8m SKY - (most channels) - 18 hours
2.4m SKY (most channels) - 24 hours
2.7m SKY (all channels) - 24 hours
3.0m BBC
3.7m ITV

Hi,
Well in my copy of "Cyprus Weekly" (Page 26) they don't mention any dish sizes or prices. I take it you have made contact with them (??). If they
guarantee such reception maybe you should invest, if no joy they'll have
to give you your money back. Seems strange if they are prepared to risk their reputation on something that is a false claim! Maybe they have some trick?
Geoff

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
geoffreys said:
Hi,
Well in my copy of "Cyprus Weekly" (Page 26) they don't mention any dish sizes or prices. I take it you have made contact with them (??). If they
to give you your money back. Seems strange if they are prepared to risk their reputation on something that is a false claim! Maybe they have some trick?
Geoff

Found out some time ago that the 2.7 works fine in Limassol. Some companies would tell you otherwise to get you to buy a bigger dish. I've done a couple down that way and they work fine it's just that generally it is too far to travel. I have a friend down Larnaca way who is now picking it up on a 2.4 with an extension, not perfect but then others would tell you that you need a 4m which obviously you don't.

chris_lim

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
geoffreys said:
Hi,
Geoff

I don't know whether they have a trick or not. What I know is that 24hr reception of BBC and ITV with a 2,7m dish could be possible depending on which area of Limassol you live (western areas of Limassol have much better reception). I have a 3,2m dish (2,4m with the extensions and twin Invacom LNB Panasonic TU DSB30 receiver) which I believe it performs the same as a 2,7m solid dish and for the last three days I can receive BBC and ITV 24hrs with only some minor breaking up between 23:00-23:45. Reception with dishes of this diameter is extremely sensitive and is affected by the slightest change in wheather conditions e.g humidity or even light rain. My opinion is that for reception without any problems a solid 3,5m dish would do the job. Anything else is a matter of luck.

C

Coca-Cooper

Has anyone out there had an installation performed by Astro SAT, and can comment on the quality of their work?

The dishes they use are detailed below (excludes the specifications of the 2.7m they quoted):

http://www.evelthontos.com.cy/dishes.php

Malloupas & Papacostas insist on a 3m dish for SKY (@ CYP2,100) and 3.8m for BBC/ITV (@ CYP2,800).

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
chris_lim said:
I don't know whether they have a trick or not. What I know is that 24hr reception of BBC and ITV with a 2,7m dish could be possible depending on which area of Limassol you live (western areas of Limassol have much better reception). I have a 3,2m dish (2,4m with the extensions and twin Invacom LNB Panasonic TU DSB30 receiver) which I believe it performs the same as a 2,7m solid dish and for the last three days I can receive BBC and ITV 24hrs with only some minor breaking up between 23:00-23:45. Reception with dishes of this diameter is extremely sensitive and is affected by the slightest change in wheather conditions e.g humidity or even light rain. My opinion is that for reception without any problems a solid 3,5m dish would do the job. Anything else is a matter of luck.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there.
An extended 2.4 is never as good as a 2.7m solid, I have measured plenty of them and the 2.7m solid if fitted properly gives much better readings. I don't think luck enters the equation at all.

Don't know where you get these prices from but the prices I get are £1900 for a 3.3m 2 piece dish and a 3.7m £2600.