Atlantic Bird 1 - anyone else?

vte

Reaction score
Hi guys
slightly off the usual topics, but because of a lack of broadband or cable in my area i had to take satellite broadband.
everything worked ok until just before christmas when the supplier, Planetsky, had to change satellite from Telestar 12 to Atlantic Bird 1.
the problem is that i just cant get a decent signal. the provider re-aligned the dish but the signal strength has dropped dramatically and the viterbi sync and the frame sync flicker off and on.
i have a 1 m dish mounted on the south facing wall of house and i received reasonably good signal strength before the change.
has anyone any experience with the AB1 and the strength of the signal in the UK.
i live just south of Glasgow.
what about an increase in the dish size to 1.2 m and maybe a 0.3 db lnb?
any input would be greatly appreciated :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well certainly a 1.2 would improve things for you and a 0.3db LNB may help as well, is there not a sat isp who uses a more Glasgow friendly satellite?

J

jma1

vte said:
Hi guys
has anyone any experience with the AB1 and the strength of the signal in the UK.
i live just south of Glasgow.

Hi,

I live in the North West region, just been looking at the signal strengths on various Transponders on this sat:

10978V - 54 percent.
11014H - 70 percent.
12515V - 55 percent.

I'm using a 1 metre Channel Master (0.3 LN:cool:

This Transponder seems weaker than the others, Of course a bigger dish will help for your location.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try twisting the LNB in its holder.

vte

Reaction score
thanks for your replies, I roughly checked the dish for alignment as best I could with the tools at hand and my basic knowledge.
I just dont think that I want to pay an installer about 300 pounds, without trying to learn to do it myself by buying the new dish, lnb, and a meter.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
An installer would normally only charge £40 to £50 for aligning an existing dish.