6) Omnikey 3121 USB card reader -£20

Software
ubuntu
VDR
CCcam and the sc plugin
NewCS
CCcam
XBMC

I will try to post complete step by step guide over next couple of weeks.

It will be great if someone can provide me information about I can I keep sly card active with linux VDR or MythTV. I know Mgcamd keep it alive but how do I setup it up in Linux.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
Care to PM me CHD?

My next project is to purchase either an AZbox, a Dreambox/Techomate or adapt a Toroidal similar to the God-like Hakan.

However the answers to most of my wants point to build a PC - but Im an apple man, hate windows and would like to correspond with someone who has more knowledge of linux.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
How many c/s customers you plan to have?

Atom CPU's are really weak, often outperformed by old Pentium 3!

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
Hi BombedOne
I belive by "c/s customers" means card share clients.

You don't need very fast machine for cardsharing server. Even P1 will do the work. Atom is much more faster if you compare it with Dreambox's processor that can do cardsharing.

I will be using this machine as NAS as well. I am going with Atom because low power consuption.

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
mattsnapper said:
Care to PM me CHD?

My next project is to purchase either an AZbox, a Dreambox/Techomate or adapt a Toroidal similar to the God-like Hakan.

However the answers to most of my wants point to build a PC - but Im an apple man, hate windows and would like to correspond with someone who has more knowledge of linux.

I don't think I have permission to send PM

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
chdguy said:
I don't think I have permission to send PM

that is correct, PM privileges have to be earned, otherwise the whole point of a forum is defeated if new members can PM straight away.:-Cbigsmil

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Well, everything is about number of customers :)

how many customers you may have with DM? 20-30, right? :) I'm speaking about serious C/S, with 200+ customers.

and when running PC cardserver, when CPU speed is not enough, when new user log in/out, cpu load hits the peak, which causes certain delay in sending DW to customer, which in case of NDS or other fast-key-sequence encodings, results in picture glitches :)

These are practical, not theoretical observations.

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
BombedOne said:
Well, everything is about number of customers :)

how many customers you may have with DM? 20-30, right? :) I'm speaking about serious C/S, with 200+ customers.

and when running PC cardserver, when CPU speed is not enough, when new user log in/out, cpu load hits the peak, which causes certain delay in sending DW to customer, which in case of NDS or other fast-key-sequence encodings, results in picture glitches :)

These are practical, not theoretical observations.

Hi BombedOne.
I am not planning to setup that many clients.

I can understand why it gives problem when you have more than 200 clients.

I don't have working setup so I can't tell you exact cause the problem. I need to check if cardshare server create new thread or process for each new connection. Creating new process is lot more resource intensive that creating new thread.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
im monitoring this thread!

So far I have got a NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI motherboard (can always get another graphics card if it is slow) and a DVB-S2 7300 card from a nice Belgian man from this forum.

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
Hi, Just quick upate, I am still setting up things. But I have tested BBC HD channel, it is working great. I configuring VDR now. I have installed Ubunutu 9.10. It will be greate if someone allow me to use the cardserver for couple of days to test before setting up my own.

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
This is usefull link as well. _http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126258

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
To compile SC under you need to set to fix FFdecsa error

PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_32_INT
to
PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_128_2MMX

chdguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Atom ION + Linux
My Location
South East, UK
in <vdr src path>/PLUGINS/src/sc/Makefile
change PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_32_INT to PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_128_2MMX

chdguy said:
To compile SC under you need to set to fix FFdecsa error

PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_32_INT
to
PARALLEL ?= PARALLEL_128_2MMX

fuzzydunlop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500 and MythTV
My Location
IE
I know an Acer Revo (atom/ion) will run cccam and serve Mythtv HD no problems. Good luck.

gpborges

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Building a HTPC based on Zotact ION ITX board (IONITX-L-E)
Researching about a good DVB-S2 tuner for the HTPC (PCI or USB)
Owns a DVB-S receiver (decoding N2 signal)
My Location
São Paulo, Brazil
fuzzydunlop said:
I know an Acer Revo (atom/ion) will run cccam and serve Mythtv HD no problems. Good luck.

Hi, I'm building my HTPC and I'm planning to use the Zotac ION ITX board
_http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-l-e-atom-n330-1-6ghz-dual-core-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html

It has an Atom 330 (533 Mhz) and I will add 2x2GB Corsair RAM sticks. I will add to this HTPC 2 tuners, one for Terrestrial Brazilian HDTV (ISDB-T) and another for DVB-S2. As this board has only 1 PCI-Express X16 empty slot, I need to use one tuner on it and the other on a USB port. However, I'm concerned about the performance for the DVB-S2 one. Do you guys think that this Zotac board I've mentioned (Atom 330 / ION platform) will fulfill the system requirements bellow?

_http://www.technisat.com/indexdb3d.html?nav=PC_products,en,76-228

Code:
[B]System requirements for HDTV reception[/B]

Intel P4D830 or AMD Athlon x2 (DualCore) with at least 3 GHz or higher
1024 MB RAM (Dual Channel recommended)

PCI-Express graphics card (with at least 256 MB RAM, hardware overlay backup and up-to-date drives)

_http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novahds2.html

Code:
             [B]Watch and record High Definition Satellite TV on your PC![/B]

[LIST]
[*]High definition satellite DVB-S2 TV receiver for your PC. DVB-S digital satellite, too!
[*]Turn your PC into a video recorder for digital satellite TV!
[/LIST]
[B]WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 has these great TV watching features[/B]

[LIST]
[*]Digital satellite TV and radio for your PC. Watch free-to-air satellite TV, in a window or full screen on your PC!
[*]Record digital satellite TV to your PC's hard disk in original MPEG-2 quality. Digital TV recordings will typically take 1,5 Gigabytes of disk space per hour.
[*]Pause digital satellite TV with instant replay.
[*]Listen to digital satellite DVB-S/DVB-S2 radio.
[*]DiSEqC 1.0 support.
[*]Includes Hauppauge new IR remote control, for easy control of TV watching, record and play functions.
[*]Also compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista Media Center application*.
[/LIST]

[B]WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2: high definition Satellite TV for your PC![/B] Watch and record free-to-air High Definition satellite TV (DVB-S2) and standard definition satellite TV (DVB-S) on your PC. Recordings are made to your PC's hard disk in the same qaulity as live TV. Listen and record digital satellite radio* too!
[B]High Definition satellite TV[/B] brings you the best video quality and CD quality audio to your PC. WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 can receive "free-to-air" high definition broadcasts, such as Astra HD Promo, Anixe HD and BBC HD.
[B]Turn your PC into a Digital Video Recorder for satellite TV.[/B] The WinTV v7 HD application is included to record standard or high definition digital satellite TV to your PC's hard disk, with "time shifting". A TV scheduler is included to automatically record your favourite TV shows on a daily, weekly or once only schedule.
[B]Hauppauge's remote control[/B] makes WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 easy to use. Change channels, adjust audio volume, start recordings, play music, start a slide show, all from the comfort of your living room chair!
[B]Notes[/B]

[LIST]
[*]DVB-S/DVB-S2 Radio is not DAB Radio.
[*]For Digital Satellite reception, your satellite dish must be aimed at a satellite which is transmitting free-to-air Sat TV. For example, Astra and Eutelsat provide free-to-air satellite channels.
[*]Some HD Digital Satellite channels are available on Astra and Eutelsat (via DVB-S2 transmission).
[*]To use the WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 for TV with the Windows XP Media Center application (DVB-S only and will require a patch from our website) a Media Center certified DVD or MPEG-2 software decoder is required. If you are building a Media Center PC, refer Microsoft's web site for a list of Media Center certified DVD decoders. The Windows Media Center application is included with Windows XP Media Center, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Home Premium editions only. The enclosed remote control is not MCE certified and does not replace Media Center remote control.
[/LIST]

[B]System Requirements[/B]

[LIST]
[*][B]Minimum processor 3.2 GHz Intel® P4 or equivalent.[/B]
[*]Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) or Windows XP Service Pack 3.
[*]Graphics with 64 MB of memory (minimum).
[*]Sound card or on board sound.
[*]A free PCI slot.
[*]CD-ROM drive (for Software installation).
[/LIST]

So, the concern is REALLY about the Atom processor being capable of handle the DVB-S2 HD content (watch / record) with no lags, delays...

I'm looking forward your valuable feedback, so that I can conclude my setup

[Moderation] Unparsed 3 URLs

gpborges

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Building a HTPC based on Zotact ION ITX board (IONITX-L-E)
Researching about a good DVB-S2 tuner for the HTPC (PCI or USB)
Owns a DVB-S receiver (decoding N2 signal)
My Location
São Paulo, Brazil
fuzzydunlop said:

Hi, I'm building my HTPC and I'm planning to use the Zotac ION ITX board (IONITX-L-E). It has an Atom 330 (533 Mhz) and I will add 2x2GB Corsair RAM sticks. I will add to this HTPC 2 tuners, one for Terrestrial Brazilian HDTV (ISDB-T) and another for DVB-S2. As this board has only 1 PCI-Express X16 empty slot, I need to use one tuner on it and the other on a USB port. However, I'm concerned about the performance for the DVB-S2 one. Do you guys think that this Zotac board I've mentioned (Atom 330 / ION platform) will fulfill the system requirements bellow?

Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 (PCI board)
Code:
System Requirements

* [B]Minimum processor 3.2 GHz Intel® P4 or equivalent.[/B]
* Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) or Windows XP Service Pack 3.
* Graphics with 64 MB of memory (minimum).
* Sound card or on board sound.
* A free PCI slot.
* CD-ROM drive (for Software installation).

SkyStar USB 2 HD CI (USB tuner)

Code:
[B]System requirements for HDTV reception[/B]

[B]Intel P4D830 or AMD Athlon x2 (DualCore) with at least 3 GHz or higher[/B]
1024 MB RAM (Dual Channel recommended)

PCI-Express graphics card (with at least 256 MB RAM, hardware overlay backup and up-to-date drives)

So my real concern is if Zotac IONITX-L-E board (Atom 330 / ION) will be able to play/record HD content received from a DVB-S2 tuner.

I'm looking for your valueable feedback on this, so that I can continue my HTPC build.

fuzzydunlop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500 and MythTV
My Location
IE
I have seen TeVii660 (USB DVB-S2 device) run a similar similar spec and deliver good HD content.

Best of luck with the HTPC.