ATTN: Web developers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Guys, please help me out. I'm getting very frustrated!! Going round in circles!!!

I want to create a simple relational database to store names, addresses and some other basic data. A club membership database, actually.

I want to be able to custom design it. It has to use SQL to build it and access it. My SQL skills are pretty good, but I've never written for the Web.

I want to be able to write some simple scripts to add, update and delete rows and I want to access these via a form-like structure on a password protected web page. The database has to be updated by non-techies.

The existing site is not hosted by me and I don't have access to a database server, other than some stuff I started to play with at www.freesql.org. I've started looking at phpMyAdmin, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go.

Do I need to learn some PHP into which to incorporate my SQL queries?!?!

I don't really want an out-of-the-box solution. I don't want to run my own server. I don't want to pay for it.

<<Edit - I've actually managed to do the DBMS side of what I wanted very easily at freesql.org (excellent resource) - now just need some direction on the web development side...>>

(Nearly) Clueless.

Thanks people.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I had a quick look at Frontpage, which should be on most Windows computers, it seems to support sql directly, and even has a database connection wizard, would that help?
I haven't tried this, but presumably the wizard will write sql commands that interface directly with Access, then you can just upload the web pages to your local providor?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was after something a little more bespoke. I ended up building my own web server, running Apache 2.0 and MySQL server. It was the only way to get the flexibility I needed. Two fantastic pieces of software.

Built and tested my databases OK.

I just need to write some code now.

Anyone have any pointers as to which direction to take?

I want to embed native SQL into a range of access modules providing basic table commands (Insert, Update, Delete and a few Selects), invoked from HTML.

STICK

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I'm not a web development expert, but no one else has replied to this, so trying to be helpful ....

If you were running on NT, you could import the wanted SQL commands into Frontpage, and the "database wizard" would automatically turn them into web pages, connecting directly to Access database using activX control.

(Microsoft get lots of criticism, and in general I agree with it, but they have made “quick and easy development” much easier, for most people who want to run small size applications).

But, it seems mysql dowsn’t run on NT, so your apache must be the linux version. Then, I suppose, it’s cgi applications written in perl!

It’s open software, so if you’re lucky, maybe there’s already “sample” code modules somewhere, then all you have to do is insert the wanted SQL statements into these (replacing the "example" ones), and just compile? I don’t know where to look, but there are apache newsgroups and forums, perhaps you could ask someone in these?