Auto Transponder Scan Issues

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Me again!

Strange one this, whatever sat I lock on to and then do an auto transponder search I only get BSKYB services. Other transponder numbers appear to be logged in the sat settings but are ignored

I get no other services whatsoever FTA or otherwise. Only stuff from BskyB.

I have a diseq motor and am succesful scanning and locking on a number of sats.

I am totally confused, please help

Thanks

Kingman

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would guess that the motor is not moving, have you individually found and saved the different satellites first?

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Looks like you are right, I dont think the motor is moving. What inputs should I make in the motor setup menu. It is a cheap diseq motor and I have a single LNB.

What are the motor power and Go o settings? Also do I need to set Longitude and Latitude?

Thanks

Kingman

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which image are you using?

If you set up for complex DiseqC, set power to 80 and tick the goto X box, then you should be able to enter your coordinates, it may or may not work for goto X. Then go into the next page and use the send to 0, the motor should then be ready for a manual search for the satellites, Thor 1W should be your first one to find.

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
I cant seem to pick up Thor at all. tried with go to on/off and with power upped to 80.

Could it be somethg to do with new Gemini image do I need to start afresh with new Sats file

Cheers

Kingman

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Do you know for sure that the dish arc is set up properly, have you had another receiver running with all satellites?

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
No, but I was picking up all the sats and channels Ok at the end of last week, before I attempted loading fresh images and saving sat settings in Dream edit etc.

I am still convinced its a Dreambox issue rather than a dish/motor issue because its the DB parameters that have changed

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kingman

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
ummm are you using the coax loopthrough on the back of the Dreambox?
are you manually scanning for sats or using gotoxx?

have you sent the dish to say 30w and gone outside for a nosey to see if its actually moving???

lastly, with it being a new set up, you wouldnt be the first poor soul to have a coax thats been to tight, and the dish has stretched the coax, or like in my case first day snapped it!!... can you get to the dish for a inspection?

tips on finding sats manually..
send your channels onto your Dreambox over the network from your PC using Dreambox edit..
make sure you have the latest cam/key combo ie NewcamD for example and that its selected for use.

then select a channel... say Reality TV on 28.2e (its clear)
on the screen were you put your motor setups, press blue choose Astra 28.2 then goto step east and west...
keep and eye on the signal and when you get round to 28.2 the picture for RealityTV will suddenly pop up :)

keep stepping until your signal is the best you can get... then save :)

sometimes once you have one satellite GotoXX will locate the rest after you have put in your Long Lat etc etc..

if not you will have to repeat the process of the above for 28.2, with channels on 13e, 30w etc etc

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Hi Red Devil

Its nothing obvious, co-ax is Ok and no loopthrough in place. I am sure everything was Ok a week ago, but now only BSKYB services on any sat I try and scan.
For instance when I scan for Thor 1%W it does pick up BSKYB service on this sat but no other transponders. Same with Hotbird.

Motor or set-up, how do I tell

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you need to find the satellites again, it obviously hasn't transferred your settings and has stayed on 28.2.

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Thanks

At the risk of sounding stupid whats the best way of doing that

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i agree, there is no BSkyB on 1w only on 28.2 and an Italian version on 13e :)

although i would say its definately a hardware problem, it could be caused by software/settings.
on the coax make sure on the plug at each end, that the outer copper wire isnt touching the inner core wire too... that can cause problems.

other than that, in motor setup, what have you got for each setting?

just had a thought....
your not leaving your dish at 28.2 then going straight into Automatic Transponder scan and choosing a satellite to scan then scanning are you???
because you will always scan 28.2 if thats the case, by choosing another satellite in Automatic Transponder scan, it wont turn the dish then scan... its just scans as is.
if that is the case, try moving the dish to the satellite you want to scan first, then going into ATS and choosing that same satellite from the list then scanning.
Just a thought :)

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Hi Red Devil

We may be getting somewhere with your diagnosis.

I am using ATS as a means of moving from sat to sat. Are you suggesting this wont actually move the motor?

If this is not the way to do things please wil you explain (in idiot step fashion please) what I need to do to get hold of the sat first.

Hopefully this might be the answer

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Kingman

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Are you suggesting this wont actually move the motor?
thats what im saying yes :)

Ok, i will go through setting your box up step by step...no problem.

with your Gemini image in place, goto a website and download a list of channels from _http://www.dreamboxworld.com/dbw/main.htm
Look for the download...
Settings DBW E90° -> W45° Rotor All Packets

download this and use Dreambox edit to first load then send the channels to your Dreambox over the LAN :)

im hoping you have a shared internet connection that your Dreambox can use... to make it easier to get the latest Cam and keys.

Boot Dreambox, and choose a cam/key combo.. ie NewcamD cam and latest keys
if they arnt there your going to have to download them via the addon feature.

now on your Dreambox you will have a list of channels.
in motor setup try setting up your GotoXX info.. ie long and lat etc.
if you dont know your long/lat use this site to find it
_http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

if your really lucky, now by choosing a channel, your dish will automatically lock on (more likely that your going to be unlucky though)

if not, your going to have to find one manually and lock on, then try the GotoXX thing again.

so from a clear screen (ie not in a menu) choose RealityTV 28.2e
and lets presume the dish doesnt move...

(tip: i think your dish will already be parked at 28.2 as you said you can pick up BskyB channels when you scan, so you may already be looking at RealityTV without doing anything)

if not, do the following.

press menu and go into your motor settings press blue and goto the step dish west and east screen :)

change the choice of satellite to Astra 28.2 and move dish till RealityTV pops up in the background
if your not sure what way to move the dish, pop outside and compare your dish to any nearby Sky dishes, and see how your dish is in relation to them, as you look at it, (facing the wall) moving right is east.

once you have a lock, and have got the best signal you can save it!! and try the gotoXX

if you do get a picture, but your cant move to any other satellite then you will have to repeat the process for each sat...

ie choose TPS Foot on 13e and goto motor setting move dish till picture pops up or you get a good signal lock etc etc

the first time you do this it takes a while.... but it does get easier and quicker.

try that and let me know how you get on, asking any questions along the way :) lets get this baby up and running.

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Hi Red Devil

I think we are moving in the right direction

1. I have proved the motor is working
2. I have manually scanned 3 satelites (hotbird, Astra 28.2 and 19).
3. I now have a huge amount of foreign channels - so far so good

To get this far I had to save the sats as position 1 , 2 and 3 and scan for them manually rather than use the go to function.

Does this mean I have to do this everytime? Will go to not work?

Now the next big question......

I only got thids far after loading a factory image (rel109) - I managed to screw Gemini in the process.

How do I save what I have done when I reflash Gemini - I dont want to go through all the sat set-up again.

I know about DBedit but this doesnt save the position data

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help, without it I would have assumed hardware and called out the engineers!

Cheers

Kingman

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
GotoXX seems to be hit and miss, although ive never had a problem with it, alot of people on here have reported difficulty in getting it working.

also if your going to multiboot and try a few images, make sure the smartsettings copy from active image is ticked, then the settings and channels you have working with one image will be copied to the new one :)

FWP can save your settings mate :)

get it so your happy then save the settings.
then in the install new firmware button (top left) choose the big button in the middle flash image backup

if all goes pear shaped after that, flash erase and use FWP to reload it :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Kingman said:
SNIP

Does this mean I have to do this everytime? Will go to not work?

SNIP

How do I save what I have done when I reflash Gemini - I dont want to go through all the sat set-up again.

Cheers

Kingman

The transfer of satellite settings does not always work perfectly. I started having multiple images on my DB, but after a while, I found that I only actually used one of them, so now have it in flash and use the USB stick for the VAR directory, then I can have as many plugins as I like. :)

I can rescan all of the satellites within an hour, for the odd occasion when I do decide to change image. :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Same here Rolf, i just use Gemini now...
i did have about 6 at one time lol, just because i could i think :)

Oh kingman,
Just so you know, the benefit of having just one image in flash and the Var on a USB stick as Rolf does is that it gives your hard drive chance to spin down, resulting in less wear and tear.... and HEAT!!!
when you keep putting addons on, as you will see in the downloads.. they are kept in a VAR Folder in flash, but it soon gets full. a USB stick is a great idea :)

Kingman

Reaction score
My Location
Suffolk, Englnad
Now up and running with 5 sats. Motor is working fine but have to use postion rather than go to. Have now got Evocamd working well, didnt have much success with Newcamd (might have copied the k*ys incorrectly)

The channel world it would appear is now my oyster!

I Have quickly discovered a need for the child lock however!!

Thanks again for helping, appreciate its a pain to get people up and running

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Thanks again for helping, appreciate its a pain to get people up and running

no problem mate, that why were here :)

when you say you have to use position rather than goto??

do you mean your using manually stored positions??? or the positions option in motor setup?

keep playing mate, thats basically how you will learn.... ask questions, read alot and fiddle :D

there will be times when your system will go tits up, 5 minutes before kick off lol.... thats a particular favourite :)

the motto for the Dreambox should be
"You live and learn"

Good luck