Automate Duplicator

S

steve_3119

I am about to purchase an Elvis programmer,,, however i have picked up very cheaply, an Automate duplicator, it is quite clear that the card to be copied 'must not' be protected, how do i know or how can i establish if a wafer card is protected or not, will a gold wafer card with I*V D*git*l be protected? i only want to make a duplicate in case of corruption to the one i have!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not to sound too stuffy Steve, but a card duplicator is only used for one purpose and as this is a hobby forum it is not appropriate. The Elvis is more than capable of reprogramming an educational card in the case of corruption.

Rolf

C

Cardman

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jan-02 AT 11:43 AM (GMT) by nobbly (moderator)]Well the automate is a little more flexible then you think, but with such a model having a second model of a programmer is usually a good idea.

The GoldMate PC+ model, which as the name says can be connected to a PC and act like a card programmer. Naturally it can be used in stand-alone mode as well to either read or program cards.

The plus on that name means that it can also program PIC16F877 + 24LC64 (Silver) and my PIC16F628 + 24LC65 (Green) cards.

Also my version allows you to change the EEPROM over, which can be useful in case your friend changes his mind of what he wants on his card. However with a 24C256 EEPROM, then it can say store card images of the Gold and Silver cards at the same time.

And so that one a very flexible model when you can even program cards in a middle of a field if you wanted. However when you have friends in the same hobby, then it is a useful tool to have along.

As to the automate , then that should flash a warning on the LED when the card has the code protection fuse set.

Cardman.

READ THE RULES
Advertising or promotion is not permitted

nobbly :+

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Much as your knowledge and input is appreciated Cardman, I think it would be preferred if the adverts are omitted from your posts, correcting misinformation is one thing, blatent advertising is another. As you are probably aware this is a sponsored forum and we leave it to the members as to whether they use the sponsors services or not, but we will not continue to have sponsors if we allow all and sundry to advertise similar products in the guise of posts.

C

Cardman

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jan-02 AT 11:46 AM (GMT) by nobbly (moderator)]Well I was just pointing out the flexibility of such models, when I directly know the creator of the Goldmate models, which the automate is a clone of.

As the Automate and Goldmate are no more, then I included mention of the latest Goldmate PC+ model and all the feature that made this model very flexible.

I am not sure what you have against card copiers, but these items are no more immoral then a card programmer. And that of course depends on the person using this "tool".

In my previous post I just corrected false information and showed clearly who does have the best value items around.

Anyway I will keep that in mind.

Cardman.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I have no objections as such to card copiers, only in what they are generally used for. In the vast majority of cases they are used for multiple production of ITV Digital cards, which are subsequently sold or given to friends and friends of friends.

I'm sure you can understand why the forum does not want to be seen to be involved in the support of that sort of activity, my personal view is that we are skating on thin ice with the content of the ITV Digital forum already, so compounding the problem by tacit approval of mass card production is just one step closer to the brink.

With regard to the advertising question, I have no objection at all to the major portion of both your posts, particularly as it was in reply to a specific incorrect assertion. What I feel may prove to be unacceptable is the full description of packages and prices, followed by the URLs to your site in your signature. It wouldn't take a genius to find your site without the URLs, so I would be obliged if you would remove them from your signature.

The forum prides itself on being a source of unbiased information to the satellite and miscellaneous hobbyist, so having an informed contributor who is also very obviously selling the product on debate, would appear to be flying in the face of that impartiallity.

No objection whatsoever to your contributions Cardman, in fact I welcome them as you are obviously very well versed in your field and look forward to seeing your postings in the future.

Rolf

C

Cardman

Well this is starting to get complex, which should equal a sizable post. And although much of this will fall outside the subject of this group, then well all I can say is that you started it. :-]

First I should remind you that illeg*l ITV Digital use is still a new subject compared to the much older and perfectly legal and often morally correct use for such items. This subject I presume equals your use of the "hobby" word.

As I know this Unauthorised Decoders 2000 law very well, then you may find my knowledge on this subject helpful.

First it is not wise for a forum that includes the legal "hobby" aspect to also support an ITV Digital group, when such a group could be considered support of an illeg*l pir*cy subject.

Since you said yourself that this is a sponsered forum, then that makes it a commercial action. That means under these changes to copyright law that such support could be illeg*l.

However that is far from the end of the story, when to commit an act of copyright infringement, or more likely copyright fraud, then that support must be of something that belongs to someone else.

And that something is piracy firmware (using SECA's algorithms) and keys (owned by the service provider and SECA). Therefore if you feel the need to have an ITV Digital group, then keys and firmware are a big no-no.

So I hope you find that legal information helpful when it comes to thin ice.

Now if you are talking about mass production of pir*te cards, then while such a model can be helpful, there are more useful devices out there. And the one that comes to mind is the model that can program like 10 or 12 cards at once, which I won't name here for obvious reasons.

Since I know a few things about (legal) pir*te card supply, having done that for 3 years before the law change, then I would have preferred to use a card programmer.

The reason for that what with key changes is that it is easier to keep firmware on computer, where it is much quicker to add the latest key. However as ITV Digital is slow with the old key changes, then as it is just as easy to make cards in advance, then there is no special reason to make cards on site.

And so while the Automate/Goldmate may be a flexible model, there is not much special about them when it comes to pir*te card creation.

Also if you happen to have seen the instructions that come with the Goldmate PC+, then I have yet to see a stronger statement against using this item for a pir*cy purpose.

Speaking about the enemy, then I know from first hand experience that they are much more interested in ELVIS then with these copiers, which could be something to do with the fact that while I have sold hundreds of copiers I have sold thousands of the ELVIS model.

As if you think about it then organisations like STOP, FACT, and FAST think about numbers. And that is why targeting the supplier with the lowest Gold price around is the top target.

Now if you think my item descriptions mentioned here are detailed then you have not seen my site yet. :-]

And so I cannot see that pointing out a few main features to give someone an idea of what it does is a problem. Since I directly know how one item is better than another, then I would have thought that would be useful information.

As to price then that was another thread, when I bet you cannot spot my Goldmate PC+ price here.

The other thread I mentioned prices to show against incorrect information, which I believed helpful when the first post in that thread mentioned Cardman and ELVIS.

Two names that belong to me and so here I am, when I then noticed questionable following information.

As to my URLs, then if you wish I will remove them. However I do not see that mentioning your web address as advertising, when my name could be considered the same way.

The reason I decided to add them was because of the first poster who contacted me from this board, when it was obvious that he had not seen my site, which is always a good idea if you are wanting to buy something.

Now when you mention "unbiased information" then you touch on one of my public attributes, which happen to be "honest and fair". And that means that I would not knowingly recommend someone to buy one of my items if I know they was interested in a better one.

In fact I have very often recommended using other suppliers. When you can certainly consider me baised towards the best equipment and prices around.

Well consider it this way when if I had not been vocal about ELVIS, then the most recommended programmer about could still be the Millenium. As only when I clearly pointed out why ELVIS kicked Millenium arse did people end up with a much better card programmer.

And so I believe that benefitted the whole market, when I made this model as popular as it is (No1). Also as I brought this model to this country and helped to establish this reputation with the users, then about two dozens other UK suppliers alone (and many more users) now benefit from this.

When don't forget that the then little known multiprogrammer was around for over two years before I supported it. These days the last I heard was that the manufacturer was awaiting delivery of 30000 units.

And so due to my support of this model I believe that it is clear to see that a lot of users are now a lot better off than what they were.

These days the Goldmate PC+ is my new ELVIS, when while the Goldmate/Automate were useful and interesting models, then this new model is awesome.

As a supplier then you really have to understand my history, but I won't go into that here.

Anyway just lets say that I have an interest in seeing that people end up with the best items (at the best price) around. Since a good service is an idea as well, then that is why I directly supply many of the items that I recommend.

Well anyway I can see your motivations, which means that I will now go and look and see who your sponsers are. Is that unbiased I don't know, but from my ELVIS example then if they got good items then they should be here telling everyone this fact.

On their behalf I will see what good items they do have, which will at least make my posts less biased in your eyes.

Cardman.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Christ, I thought I could be long winded :)

Thanks for removing the sig.

Rolf

C

Cardman

LOL, that gave me a laugh. :)

Well when I get started then there is no stopping me, when just look at my site.

Also on the Usenet once when someone questioned the need for a change in how programming should be sold in Europe, then that time I gave him a 800 line reply.

So I am certain that was just a warm up post. ;-)

Cardman.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Didnt I say ITV digital enquiries might lead to this ?

Rolf is right, I run a legit business and wouldnt dream of advertising (except maybe as a sponser - once the lottery numbers come up)

Automated card copiers as well - if its not a hobby its surely an obsession to have 10 or more cards knocking around the home

www.satelliteequipmentyoumustbuyfromthiscompanyitsthemuttsnuts.com

C

Cardman

So if 10+ cards makes an obsession, then what about me?

At this time I should have around 5000 cards in stock. Naturally those are sold blank, but even for my personal use cards I must have more than that.

Well being a supplier these smartcard factories send me funny coloured test cards, which as I do actually test them, then I tend to end up with lots of cards lying about.

Cardman.

S

steve_3119

What can i say!!!,,, Sorry, i did not mean to cause problems, I just wanted to ask a question,,, I do not want to become 'obsessed' I want to play about with programming smartcards for data recording, usage attendances etc. I will probably never use the duplicator, however i will consider an 'Elvis' programmer in the next week or so, I never thought I could get such and answer from such a question... thank you for your comments, please dont fall out over it!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't worry Steve :) nobody's falling out, just healthy discussion.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Maybe the only two justifications to have for multiple cards in the home are for those that use one for each broadcast - ie one provider on each, or to have a spare one or two handy to put in immediately after an ECM is sent over. An emulator running with Wallbanger or similar would make these somewhat redundant though.

Duplicators still have one purpose only, for money making. Cardman is honest (well it was obvious really) to come out as a dealer, however with the numbers quoted I would have to say youve got more viewers ooks than ITVD anyway -unless you are ITVD !

Almost all other forums out there put an active block on these enuiries or posts that lead back to UK channel viewing without subscription. I still say this hobby board is sailing very close to the wind on keeping them.