B&Q satellite system

Monkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
West Yorkshire
Hi just noticed the Ross satellite system in B&Q £40.00 all in could anyone tell me how this will compare to buying a dish and a free sat box.

Thanks Rob

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What size is the dish? If the dish is a reasonable size, then it should work fine, you won't of course get the Freesat electronic programme guide, only now and next.

Monkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
West Yorkshire
So would that mean i would be best to go with the standard free sat package if i am new to all of this

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The Freesat receivers are plug'n' play once a working dish has been installed.

FTA receivers like the one in B&Q will require initial tuning and periodically after that too as transponders and channels change.

For a cost point of view the b&q system is better, I have seen the dish and it should be OK.

If you just want to watch TV, and not interested in learning any satellite stuff, want a reasonable epg, then thw Freesat system is best, but it will cost you more.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Don't forget any dual dish installations if you are looking for 'other' channels.

The Freesat box (at the moment) has no internal switching for connection to anything other than the Astra 2 dish, the B+Q system will most likely have a DiSEqC 1.2 switching as a minimum, and with any luck a DiSEqC 2.0 which allows you connection to a motor in the future.

makbar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
abip 9000hd
srt3475
1.5 diamond motorised
My Location
uk
screwfix doing similar deal with dish/receiver/lnb/cable and all you need.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Channel Hopper said:
DiSEqC 1.2 switching as a minimum, and with any luck a DiSEqC 2.0 which allows you connection to a motor in the future.

DiSEqC 1.0 for switching and DiSEqC 1.2 for motors. DiSEqC 2.0 is just switchng but with two-way comms to the rec.;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Damn, shows just how 'hip' I am with modern fangled systems.