Baby is sixty today

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Manchester's Small Scale Experimental Machine 'Baby' was officially put through its paces on this day sixty years ago.

With a storage of 128 bits of information, it was way down in the evolutionary tree of computing, but at the time it was able to perform quite complex mathematical processes.

Using 1500 valves, it needed a large room, and I should think it was probably a bit warm in there when fired up :-rofl2

See HERE

And have a go at programming it yourself :)

_www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/Digital60/Baby/

Llew

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks Llew for this remider about how computers evolved. :)
Hope that today's youngesters would have enough wisdom to appreciate it.
But has our world become better as a result of technology?
I think the quality of life was better with horse carriages instead of cars, ships instead of aeroplanes, books instead of TV, pigeon post instead of mobile phones and without computers to type this post.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
This is funny.

Yesterday I read in the news that Sweden (secret police) just had teh new and fresh computer installed.

It is # 5 in the world (wonder why we need such a baby ?)

The State has always funds for stuff like this. I know a friend who has an uncle that usually meets this guy that is woaking at the time schedule at
one of them old Super Computer ( a Cray) and he fixed me some spare time using this wonder baby (counted in second, doing a man year work)

This new baby will be harder:-rofl2 to lend