Babylon 5: the Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark *NEW*

jeremiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amd sempron 64 3000+ system
My Location
UK
This is not an advert. There are no links to any retailers.

This is a Babylon 5 fan informing other Babylon 5 fans that there's a new instalment of the greatest sci-fi series of all time coming straight to DVD this 31st July in the US... 3rd September in the UK. This hasn't been shown on TV before and has no immediate plans to but will eventually.

Apparently if this DVD sells well and it is widely expected to JMS will be making more "lost tales". This first DVD is entitled Babylon 5: the Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark and is set 10 years after forming the Interstellar Alliance. President Sheridan , Captain Lochley and Galen (Crusade, A Call To Arms) are the returning Babylon 5 universe characters in the first instalment.

Personally I'm very excited about this and hope we get to see many more lost tales from the B 5 universe... Maybe even a continuation of Crusade?

DVD info and cover art below

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, starring original cast members Bruce Boxleitner, Tracy Scoggins and Peter Woodward will be released on July 31, and will sell for $24.98 (approx 75 mins). The movie will be in Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1), with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. It looks like just a single bonus item for the set, "Straczynski Diaries" - A first person, inside look at the creative process involved in making the Babylon 5 film.

B5Movie.jpg

jeremiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
‘Babylon’ is back
The latest Babylon 5 adventure, Babylon 5: The Lost Tales — Voices in the Dark, won’t air on TV — at least not right away — but will instead by released as a direct-to-DVD movie in late July, timed to coincide, promotionally, with the annual Comic-Con in San Diego.

Bruce Boxleitner returns as Interstellar Alliance President John Sheridan, who returns to Babylon 5 for the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Alliance. The only other returning series regulars in this first of the proposed series of Lost Tales DVD movies are Elizabeth Lochley (Tracy Scoggins), now a Colonel and still commanding Babylon 5, and Galen (Peter Woodward). A third story featuring Michael Garibaldi (Mike Doyle) was dropped due to time constraints on the production but may be used in a future installment. J. Michael Straczynski, the series creator, returned to write and direct this production, which was filmed on virtual sets in Vancouver.

“We had two old pieces,” Boxleitner said after a panel for an upcoming Hallmark Channel film he stars in. “Two Star Furies they found somewhere on a back lot and dusted them off.

“In one way it was a great reunion, and in one way, it felt like we had never shut down production. It’s a great script. Joe is one of the finest television writers I’ve ever worked with and he gave me material I haven’t seen the likes of since the show, really juicy stuff to delve into — aspects of Sheridan we had not played before.”

Sheridan will be more of an elder statesmen, Boxleitner said. “He’s a man who’s more likely to weigh things instead of being so action-oriented. We used to joke he was John ‘Nuke Em’ Sheridan. He’s much wiser now and more seasoned.”

Some things stayed the same, much to Boxleitner’s delight: “They found the original wardrobe and I proudly say I still fit.”

Boxleitner said the company that produces visual effects for Sci Fi Channel’s Battlestar Galactica will do the FX for this new Babylon 5 production.

“The ships, the station, they’ll all be recognizable but new. There are some additions and some of the original ships will have things added to them just like we do nowadays, new weaponry, things like that,” Boxleitner said.

The film will also include mentions of the whereabouts of characters that will never be seen again because the actors who played them have died: Richard Biggs (he played Dr. Franklin) and Andreas Katsulas (G’Kar).

“The way Joe handled the loss of those [actors] who are no longer with us, how he did it, I thank him so much,” Boxleitner said. “Their characters’ futures are revealed and I get to do it in a very loving way. They’re still around. It’s a way to give a nod to Andreas and Richard, an homage to them.”

more about the Lost Tales.:cool:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks good, I am a big B5 fan, having the whole boxed set and all of the movies. :)

Shame the offshoot series was a disappointment, could,ve been good, but never got going, I think poor scripts and casting were to blame.

jeremiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Looks good, I am a big B5 fan, having the whole boxed set and all of the movies. :)

Shame the offshoot series was a disappointment, could,ve been good, but never got going, I think poor scripts and casting were to blame.

I really enjoyed Crusade even though as you say it never really got going. However , from what I've read on the internet and after hearing the audio commentary by JMS the show was going to be amazing. The real story was not the Drakh virus but dealing with the after effects of the shadow War. The Excalibur and its crew were due to find a cure midway through season 2. At which point the main arc would kick in featuring more earth experimentation using shadow weaponry. ( I'll try and find a post I read about it :) )

With any luck we could see more from Crusade in future Lost Tales DVDs!

Atmosphere Visual Effects Joins Mission to Bring "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales" Direct to Video

DMN Newswire--2007-1-25--Atmosphere Visual Effects has begun VFX work on "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales," a made-for-video movie produced by Warner Home Video and Warner Bros. Television. Atmosphere's Andrew Karr is serving as VFX Supervisor.

Entitled "Voices in the Dark," the movie will feature two all-new stories written and directed by the original creator of "Babylon 5," Executive Producer J. Michael Straczynski. Doug Netter returns to the "Babylon 5" franchise as Executive Producer.

The sci-fi adventure story follows events transpiring several years after the conclusion of the original story and will reunite TV cast stars Bruce Boxleitner (President John Sheridan), Tracy Scoggins (Captain Elizabeth Lockley) and Peter Woodward (Galen).

"The original Babylon 5 series was a truly groundbreaking show," said Atmosphere VFX Producer Jeremy Hoey. "It heralded the beginning of the CG revolution in television visual effects. At Atmosphere, we feel tremendously privileged to have been chosen to continue that proud tradition. We're already hard at work creating what we hope fans will agree are truly exciting, cutting-edge visual effects."

For more information on Atmosphere Visual Effects, please visit: atmosphere-vfx.com

About Atmosphere Visual Effects
Located in Vancouver, B.C., one of the most beautiful and vibrant hubs in the world for film and broadcast production, Atmosphere Visual Effects is a dynamic, artist-driven studio with the creative skill and passion, fused with state-of-the-art technical expertise, to tackle the most ambitious and challenging VFX projects and deliver a high quality product with creative mastery and flair. Atmosphere's credits include: "Battlestar Galactica" (NBC Universal), "Stargate Atlantis" (MGM), 'The 4400" (USA Network), "Andromeda" (Sci Fi Channel), "Air Buddies" (Disney), "Chestnut" (New Line), "Wrong Turn II" and "Last Days of Planet Earth" (Hallmark).

SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING ABOUT PLOT DETAILS

This first DVD, entitled "Voices in the Dark," covers the same 72 hour period of time as Sheridan travels on board a Presidential Cruiser en route to Babylon 5 from Minbar for a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Interstellar Alliance. One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno-mage, Galen. The other part of the story is set aboard Babylon 5, as Colonel Lochley summons a priest from Earth space to deal with a problem that may have dark supernatural overtones. The two parts of the greater story intersect at certain key plot and thematic points, so that they overlap and complement each other while telling separate, but simultaneous, stories.

The first DVD is going to require nearly 200 EFX shots, taking us all over Alliance space, and Babylon 5, which is being redesigned using the latest CGI technology. The same CGI is being used to create virtual sets a la Sin City, but on an even more detailed basis, in many cases integrating them with practical sets based on the original blueprint designs for Babylon 5.

A number of behind-the-scenes pieces were shot for inclusion on the DVD, as well as a number of original short pieces that will be filmed in February which feature glimpses into the future of Babylon 5 and her characters.

We have set-up a temporary webpage of photos from the shoot from my personal collection. These images mark the very first photos to emerge from production.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure I'd look forward to any Crusade cast involvement, as I really thought that the characters were weak and stereotyped, Galen probably being one of the worst, didn't like him when he appeared in B5 either.

jeremiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Not sure I'd look forward to any Crusade cast involvement, as I really thought that the characters were weak and stereotyped, Galen probably being one of the worst, didn't like him when he appeared in B5 either.

if you don't mind me asking Rolf in which way were they stereotyped? I can see how you thought the doctor was but I couldn't see any of the rest of the cast being stereotypical characters. As for weak I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that?

Either way these characters only had about 13 episodes to develop in and I think JMS did a great job especially as he had to fight off TNT studio executives from bringing in wrestlers and all kinds of other nonsense. In particular I thought Captain Gideon was an extremely interesting captain adding lots of shades of grey to the usual role of captain of the ship.

I hope could don't see this as advertising but I thought other forum members might be interested in picking up the Babylon 5 season DVDs at exceptional prices

Babylon 5 season three - £12.99

_http://dvd.co.uk/DVD/Babylon-5-Series-3/D027461/product.htm

Babylon 5 series four - £14.99

_http://dvd.co.uk/DVD/Babylon-5-Series-4/D027972/product.htm

Babylon 5 series 5 - £10.99

_http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=285;5;-1;-1&sku=197505

Babylon 5 season box-sets 1-5 £17.49 each plus add the code "babylon" to reduce it by a further 10%

_http://www.choicesuk.com/specialoffersdetails.aspx?pt=BABYLON10%&cm_ven=ChoicesUK_Email300407&cm_cat=NA&cm_pla=NA&cm_ite=NBET9056