My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I've just been into my local electrical shop who also installs satellite systems. Anyway I asked him if he had ever installed a motorised system and he said yes, but he would never do another one as they are too hard to do. I told him I was getting a motor and he said get a bracket to hold 2 lnbs instead, then I could get Astra 1 and Eutelsat (I thought the twin lnb couldn't pick up Eutelsat, just Astra 1 and Hotbird). He said a motor is only set to pick up 2 or 3 sats, I said that's rubbish cos you can set it yourself. He basically told me I was wrong and I'd be better off getting the twin lnb. I said oh I got a new 80cm dish, to which he replied, that won't do you much good, you can't pick anything up with that. I told him that when I move my dish manually I can pick up at least 4 satellites, so his theory is not right. He was so condescending, it really bugged me. I'm still waiting for my motor to arrive from Germany, the days are just sooooo long. LOL. He has put me right off.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
T-E-E-N-A said:
I've just been into my local electrical shop who also installs satellite systems.

I wouldn't let him fit another system - not even a single LNB one.

Your correct he's wrong!

Tell him to stick to fitting plugs...

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
gameboy said:
I wouldn't let him fit another system - not even a single LNB one.

Your correct he's wrong!

Tell him to stick to fitting plugs...

Thanx Gameboy, well thanx to all of you here, you have taught me well. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hes obviously trying to sell you what he want to sell you. Dont be discouraged - the good folks here will chip in when you get stuck.

If you wnat to see what Ive got with a selection of scruffy old 80cm dishes have alook at

h**p://www.digitalsat.co.uk

Other sats should be visible to me, but I have trees in the way.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can pick other satellite than 19.2 and 13 deg with a multi LNB set-up it depends on the bracket and the number of LNB and size of dish.

But if you motorise an 80cm dish in the UK you will receive a lot more than two satellite positions. I say positions as some are shared by a number of satellite not just one, like 13 deg Esat has several that you can pick up with a single LNB.

The most important part of a motorised system is getting the mount completely vertical - then it's up to you how long you spend tweeking the set-up.

If the mount isn't spot-on no matter how long you spent you will never have the full set-up.

andy653cc

Reaction score
That guy sounds like a right jerk. When i first started to enquire about a new dish and being able to receive more sattelites than S*y, the local installer said why would you want to do that? He tried to sell me a new S*y dish( I have moved house) and i would need a survey which he would'nt be able to do until after Xmas, nearly a month later. I have managed to install and set up my motorised system, and am receiving from 30w to 42e, i must admit that i did get frustrated when after the first few attempts i did'nt receive a signal. I went back to the instruction book for the motor and read it again to notice i had missed an instruction to reset the motor after alining it all up, straight away i was picking up signals and the receiver did the rest. So good luck to you, the feeling when it all works is great and becomes all worthwhile. My only problem is i haven't managed to find the premership football, YET!!!

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Hes obviously trying to sell you what he want to sell you. Dont be discouraged - the good folks here will chip in when you get stuck.

If you wnat to see what Ive got with a selection of scruffy old 80cm dishes have alook at

h**p://www.digitalsat.co.uk

Other sats should be visible to me, but I have trees in the way.

That's a good site Analoguesat, I've put it on my faves, which is building up rapidly. :D

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Andy that guy in the shop is a right jerk, I never did like him, but I wanted to know if he was familiar with the motor system, (I remember last year my Dad and myself took 2 televisions to him for repair, and they all came back the same way saying can't be fixed, my Dad got them repaired elsewhere). I know it will be a tough task to set it up, but I'm willing to give it a go. Gameboy at the moment I am using the wall bracket for my old sky dish which has an adjustable mount, I put a spirit level on it the other day and got it spot on, I was going to buy a fixed mount, but the wall is pebble dashed, so I stuck with the old one, it's strong enough and does the job.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
andy653cc said:
My only problem is i haven't managed to find the premership football, YET!!!

Sure plenty here would like to help - tells a bit more about your equipment...

Receiver, do you have a PC or Internet connection...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
T-E-E-N-A said:
at the moment I am using the wall bracket for my old sky dish which has an adjustable mount, I put a spirit level on it the other day and got it spot on, I was going to buy a fixed mount, but the wall is pebble dashed

Do you have a picture? The mount for a motorised systems has to take more weight and withstand a greater load during wind.

When I fixed mine I put large washers between the wall and the mount to level it off - you'll be amazed to find that the wall may not be as vertical as you think.

The bracket I picked was from Maplin and is in two parts that are fully adjustable. they hold a pole that holds the motor that holds the dish.

Don't know if you've seen this picture (from Rolfw) but this is the way to do it to get the best results...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
TEENA - Ive just spotted this from your first post:

I thought the twin lnb couldn't pick up Eutelsat, just Astra 1 and Hotbird

Eutelsat is a satellite operator,they run numerous satellites including all the Hotbirds (13E), and W1 (10E), W2(16E), W3A(7E), W4(36E), W5(70E), and W6(21E), 2F2(48E) & 2F3(22E), eBird(33) and Eurobirds 1 (28.5E) and 2(25.5). They also sub lease capacity on some birds - full details from www.eutelsat.com

andy653cc

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Sure plenty here would like to help - tells a bit more about your equipment...

Receiver, do you have a PC or Internet connection...

Fortec star ci 5100 ultra, patched, motorised 80cm dish, i have internet access at work but have to be careful what i download as it is on a company laptop, not wanting any nasty viruses!

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
gameboy said:
Do you have a picture? The mount for a motorised systems has to take more weight and withstand a greater load during wind.

When I fixed mine I put large washers between the wall and the mount to level it off - you'll be amazed to find that the wall may not be as vertical as you think.

The bracket I picked was from Maplin and is in two parts that are fully adjustable. they hold a pole that holds the motor that holds the dish.

Don't know if you've seen this picture (from Rolfw) but this is the way to do it to get the best results...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278

Here I go again with my hand drawn picture, but it's too dark and windy to get up a ladder to take a proper pic, my neighbours would really call in the men in the white coats if I start taking pictures of my dish in this weather, LOL. As you can see the bracket has a hole in the middle, you simply place the L shaped pole into the hole and tighten the 2 u bolts, then it can be altered left or right. I hope this helps.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
TEENA - Ive just spotted this from your first post:

I thought the twin lnb couldn't pick up Eutelsat, just Astra 1 and Hotbird

Eutelsat is a satellite operator,they run numerous satellites including all the Hotbirds (13E), and W1 (10E), W2(16E), W3A(7E), W4(36E), W5(70E), and W6(21E), 2F2(48E) & 2F3(22E), eBird(33) and Eurobirds 1 (28.5E) and 2(25.5). They also sub lease capacity on some birds - full details from www.eutelsat.com

Thanx for that Analoguesat.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Quote " He said a motor is only set to pick up 2 or 3 sats,"end quote.

Oh dear! I must have done something wrong as I get signals from satellites at 28 positions across the arc.

Perhaps my dish is not really moving and I'm getting signals from the same satellite :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

That man needs a strong kick up the rear end.

Keep posting T-E-E-N-A with your tenacity and help from the members you will soon be scanning the skies once you motor arrives.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As AF says - keep at it. And remember its unlikely it will work perfectly first time. Dont try the initial install on a cold wet windy day as its sure to go horribly wrong. You need a warm dry windless day - I put my 1m fixed dish up a couple of weeks ago, and found its almost impossible to mount a 1m dish on your own without a lot of swear words - and I know dozens! You seem to need about 4 arms and a decent collection of spannersin your pockets!! :D And its never not windy here - apart from about 30 minutes in July, so I was fighting trying not going sailing off down the valley! ;)

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Can just picture that! Shades of Mary Poppins and her arrival via air and an umbrella.

Just imagine, hairy scot goes flying overhead clutching rim of satellite dish and wearing the usual under his kilt, god enough to put me off my breakfast. M:W

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Brings new meaning to the term 'Satellite Receiving Station'.

Don't think many of them have pre-existing runways though...

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
:g:g
You lot crack me up. I'm going to be brave and tackle this motor head on, I've learned a few swear words over the weeks trying to get reception with my dish, but I've had counselling and I've came out the other side ready for a new challenge. She posted it on Tuesday, so hopefully Friday or Saturday, oh hell, what if the instructions are all German? Sorry about that, a bit of a relapse.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That giraffe seems to have been quite successful! I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar. :)

German instructions are easy - so in the best traditions of "Allo Allo "

ve vill be getting zis dish straight yah?