Barracuda 160Gb 8mb Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi.
Would you dreambox experts recommend the following harddrive "Barracuda 160Gb 8mb Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM" , also can you explain what the 8mb cache is as I can get the same harddrive but with a 2mb cache.
Thank you.
Richard.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dream recommend 5400PRM drives, or the new Seagate drives built especially for the DB. Check the Dream site for a list of approved drives. The cache is the amount of on-drive memory used as a disk buffer. More is better, but there is a working limit.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

I'm using an 80GB Samsung 7200rpm 2MB cache drive, that's not on the list with no problems.
If you've got it (as I had) then try it. If you're going to buy one, then best to get one that's on the list.

73 & Happy Easter.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
I don't think the 'performance' of a drive matters for Dreambox - fast or slow - 2mb or 8mb cache, it all works OK. (The DB only has an ATA66 interface?)

What you want is a drive that runs cool & has modest power requirements.

I'm running a 80gb 2.5" 4200rpm laptop drive mounted internally with no problems.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i was actually looking for a 160 gig HDD for mine when i wanted one, but found 5400rpm drives very hard to come by now :(
ended up paying £150 for a 300gig drive instead.... it was the only one i could get my hands on.
Like racingclub says above, the hard drive speed is relative to the bus speed on board (like a PC) so dont pay extra for a super fast drive, your just gonna waste your money, if anything buy a slow drive, if you can get one :)

as far as PCs go the drive in my DB is really slow... i wouldnt have it in my PC, but it performs superb in the DB

last night i recorded a program to hard drive, and watched something i recorded earlier from the same drive, at the same time.... with no problems at all.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
as an aside - I quite like the 8mb Barracuda - usually runs nice & quiet.

I've got 2 in my TiVo, 1 in my Xbox & 1 in my PS2 :)

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Could I ask you if you can store DIVX movies on the PS2 hard drive to play using the action replay plug in device????

I am considering buying an Xbox which can run with media centre and can play Divx movies from a network source which really is missing from the DB I think.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
zanders said:
Could I ask you if you can store DIVX movies on the PS2 hard drive to play using the action replay plug in device????

I am considering buying an Xbox which can run with media centre and can play Divx movies from a network source which really is missing from the DB I think.

I dont really use the PS2 for divx - although I believe there is a mediaplayer for it.

I use the xbox for movie & mp3 playback - get it chipped & install XboxMediaCenter - buy a DVD remote & relax as you stream stuff off your PC.....

hxxp://www.xboxmediacenter.de/

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
I had already started looking into with a view to buying a secondhand Xbox from Ebay.

Its just that I already have a PS2 which I dont really use that much and I did'nt want to have to buy another box for the front room - but the Xbox does exactly what I want it to do.

And I think the Software Mod is downloadable FREE as is XBMC?

Is that Right?

I really use My PC for playing games so another console was not the way I wanted to go. I was hoping for a DIVX player on the DB but apparently the processor is not up to the task - shame. Still its good at what it does.

Thanks.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
there are rumours of a price drop soon(ish)...........

* Microsoft Drops Xbox Price at E3
Pretty much a no-brainer, this one. In its fourth year as a console manufacturer, Microsoft looks at its calendar 2005 with two potential goals in mind: 1) To continue its support for the second-place Xbox, and 2) to commence the hype for Xbox 2. Although it's not written in stone in the "Rules of How to Handle a Console for Dummies" manual, anyone who's casually glanced at the history of consoles knows that price drops are inevitable. It happens once or twice a year, and in 2005 you can rest assured that the house that Bill Built will lower the price of its Xbox from $149.99 to $99.99, almost assuredly at E3 in May. This lower price opens the system's availability to newcomers, less financially able folks, and to fence-sitters who wait for the price of everything to drop.