basic questions on aligning my dish from 28.2 to 19.2

lutek lobster

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Central Europe, splitting my time between warsaw and nthn poland. At one, I have a skybox and card where I happily receive everything except astra 2d stuff. So I guess this dish is aligned to 19.2E?

At the second location, there is no sky box, just some generic receiver, and I get lots of German channels, I think the dish is aligned to 28.2 E ?

My questions are (and the first is really dumb):

1) In warsaw, whenever I move, my sat guy always checks the line of sight to the south - why does he do this if the sky dish needs to collect a 19.2E signal (although the dish is pointed south)? Am I mixing up concepts?
2) If I wanted to temporarily re-allign my dish in Nthn Poland to 19.2E from what I assume is the current 28.2e alignment (and move my skybox from warsaw), how difficult would it be to manually move the dish, and would I need any special equipment (no satellite guys are available in the middle of Nthn Poland!) in order to get the compass reading?

Many thanks,
Lutek Lobster:confused

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
lutek lobster said:
1) In warsaw, whenever I move, my sat guy always checks the line of sight to the south - why does he do this if the sky dish needs to collect a 19.2E signal (although the dish is pointed south)? Am I mixing up concepts?

The dish is pointing exactly 19.2 deg East or you would not be getting the channels.
He is probably getting South correct so that he can find 19.2E. South is the direction of the Clark belt where all the geostationary satellites live.

2) If I wanted to temporarily re-allign my dish in Nthn Poland to 19.2E from what I assume is the current 28.2e alignment (and move my skybox from warsaw), how difficult would it be to manually move the dish, and would I need any special equipment (no satellite guys are available in the middle of Nthn Poland!) in order to get the compass reading?

Should be easy - to move dish loosen bolts and rotate. Don't adjust the tilt of the dish - just the rotation. A satellite meter will make the job easier but as you have a reference position that works (28.2E) try this.
Before you start mark a line on the dish and mount so you know where 28.2E is, this will help you get it back if needed.
Then tune in a strong transponder from 19.2 on your receiver and slowly move the dish round until you get the best signal. When you have it mark another line on the mount and dish so you can find it again if you move it back. Tighten the bolts and enjoy.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
lutek lobster said:
Hi, I live in Central Europe, splitting my time between warsaw and nthn poland. At one, I have a skybox and card where I happily receive everything except astra 2d stuff. So I guess this dish is aligned to 19.2E?

Your dish will still be aligned to 28.2E

lutek lobster said:
At the second location, there is no sky box, just some generic receiver, and I get lots of German channels, I think the dish is aligned to 28.2 E ?

This one will be 19.2E

lutek lobster said:
My questions are (and the first is really dumb):

Many thanks,
Lutek Lobster:confused

The position of the satellite 28.2E, refers to 28.2 degrees East of the Greenwich meridian, so if you lived at a longitude of 28.2 degrees East, you would point your dish due South.

To find out your exact coordinates go to www.heavens-above.com and then download the Swedish microwave calculator from www.smw.se in the downloads section, this will give you all of the pointing information you require.

lutek lobster

Reaction score
Many thanks for the useful replies...will let you know next week, if I haven't fallen off the ladder...