Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A few frosty mornings heralds the start of the annual Winter Chat Thread.

Enjoy! :-shh

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Actually, after a heavy frost and then dense fog in the Vale of Mowbray, it's quite pleasant so I've been out with the napalm and cut the garden down to size.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its a cold morning here - the bird bath froze overnight, but the sun is out and Ive tweaked the alignment of the 42E dish and got another 100 channels (I jammed a bamboo garden cane behind it to nudge it round a fraction!)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I had this with the new 7W ................. every tweak brought more and more stuff in and I've never watched any of it!

Just booked a week's stay in a cottage up near Kirby Lonsdale (Ravenstonedale) for the beginning of November.

Warm clothing and some walking in The Howgills will be on the agenda.

Had thought of a cheap mainland Europe City Break, but it seems true cheap Air Fares are a thing of the past.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Kirby Lonsdale area is nice. :) I driven along the bottom of the Howgills on the M6 many times, but never made it up onto those fells yet.

I prpoably will never actually watch the new 42E channels - its more a matter of being able to get them :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's just it - we have passed by and through many times on the way to the Lake District or to Dumfries & Galloway and always thought it very beautiful.

Plus, it's only an hour and a half drive from home.

And cheap(ish).

Apart from The Howgills, there's the Upper Eden Valley to explore and I've just taken delivery of a 1:25000 OS Exploder Map. Lots of detail, but a bit impractical for taking on the walks themselves as they fold out to something bigger than a tablecloth!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The 42E dish tweak has worked nicely - Ive now got almost all the high frequency low symbol rate tp's.

There wont be much rain fade capability on the old 60 cm dish Im using, but its working nicely on the clear blue sky day we have today :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So how long before the Bamboo Cane slips or breaks?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If I get 2 years out of it Im happy - by then I'll have set the dish up properly on a warm afternoon (remember those? :D ) - plenty more of them in the shed though as long as the missus doesnt realise Im nicking them!!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I suppose the opening of this thread means I should really chase up the delivery of my anthracite (and peasants).

@Tivù : I agree, really cheap air fares are a thing of the past, even the dreaded Ryanair aren't quite the budget option they used to be.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I was out in Durham this morning to get to Lidl (yeah, Consett's lidl is closer, but cos of the way GNE's pricing structure works, it's cheaper to go to Durham!!) and I was neezing my frads off at 8am waiting for the no. 14 bus, it was frosty here (and had been for the past few nights), but in Durham itself it felt really cold... :-wow

And Lidl seems to be selling a Silvercrest HDMI ready FTA satellite box for £60, if anyone's interested, I took a gander at the box, but unlike past Lidl stuff, it didn't float my boat... O-Ha

Main reason I went there was for the twin-tube (2x18w) fluorescent light fitting, for £9.99 it's surprisingly okay, I'll admit the metal casing is thin and flexible, but the ballasts inside are electronic, meaning it's epilepsy-safe(ish), so I can finally throw those god awful 200w-total halogen things out that are int he kitchen in favour of nice, soft, even light that doesn't need it's own power station to run... :-nuts

Aafter all, need to save every bit of electric this year to cover the cost of the gas and the nasty black prehistoric lumps that the mother insists are worth the £36 for four mixed sacks that last less than a week and cost waaaaay more than the gas for the month than if I just shoved something up the chimney to stop the warm air from the rads disappearing off up into the atmosphere.... O-no

Still, I suppose some people just don't believe in physics... :-rofl2

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
No Frost here yet lads[And lasses]! temp this afternoon 27degrees,too Hot to garden but I could reinstall my motorised system.Trouble is I keep forgetting how to do it. Three years now since it worked properly! Where are the best and simplest setting up instructions to be Found .Its ok I can do it.Even at 87 i'm still good on ladders and roofs. Its the memory you see, keeps me running up and down the ladder to check the notes again !

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
temp this afternoon 27degrees,too Hot to garden

Lucky blighter!! There's a vast north south divide today!! It's mild but really wet 'oop in t'north'.

A nonymous

Reaction score
I duuno its been persisting it down here today.

If I get 2 years out of it Im happy - by then I'll have set the dish up properly on a warm afternoon

I didn't think they had those up in Scotland. I never saw one in the 8 years i was up there :D

Nano

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Raining here as well, and the weather forecast is for another four days of it.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Fog this morning, burning away rapidly. Hopefully heralding a gin-clear, sunny day.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Clear and bright, with a reminder from SWMBO to get some Windscreen De-Icer.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yes lovely sunrise today here a bright crisp and clear day

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Another sharp frost overnight, with the weather station recording the minimum overnight air temperature as 0.3C Brrrr!!!!

The field opposite the house still has hints of frost on it where the sun hasnt got to it, but its a beautiful morning with clear blue skies. Why couldnt it have been this clear last night when there was auroral activity being reported? :(

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Why couldnt it have been this clear last night when there was auroral activity being reported?
I did wonder whether you had seen it as there were reports going down to north Yorkshire.

North Yorkshire? Call for Tivu!

Status
Not open for further replies.