BBC and ITV in Malta?

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
Can't say I'll miss channel 5 too much, can't remember last time I watched.

I have a Sky HD box. I believe that HD channels take up around 7-8 times the bandwith of SD channels, if so this would hopefully hold Channel 4 HD from going to 2D for a while because of space, right?

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Analoguesat said:
There are a couple of test channels freom C4 srtill available on the widebeams. These will cease at some point and C4 will end up just transmitting on Astra 2D. At this point anyone out of range of the Astra 2D spotbeam will lose access.

C4 +1 will almost certainly eventually join its sister on Astra 2D as well - simply because its going fta so it can join the UK Freesat service.

You will probably lose C5 as well at some point as they will be joining Freesat later in the year..

Thanks For the reply. Yes it would seem that we will lose all Channel 4 at some point and channel 5 too (maybe be a problem with space for the HD).

What I dont understand is that I am still recieving the same region (channel 4 Scotland) as I was before, and there are at least 5 other regions I am still able to view the only thing I have a lost is EPG. This seems not to agree with what people are saying about test channels or am I missing the simple?

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
PaulR said:
The default region for a $ly DIgibox without a card is BBC1 London, BBC2 England and ITV1 London.

Should read BBC1 London, BBC2 England and ITV1 Central W

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
cric2k said:
Ladybug go into Services with your sky remote, go into settings and then go to Add Channels.

Put these details in:
V
2/3

You will then see a load of ITV channels, save them and then you can view them in Other Channels.

Unfortunately they are several English ITVs and I don't get UTV for my home local news :(

Thank you so much for this. It works perfectly and we now have ITV central!!

Atomicbullet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Motorised
My Location
Barnsley
Just reading up on this for a reliative who lives in the Msida area, My aunt is english so likes all the english channels carried on Melita Cable. But they have a dish that i believe is pointing to Hotbird for the itallian channels. although it has not been used in years. I may tell them it would be possible to pick up some uk FTA channels with the dish they have, i think it is around 1.2m with a dual LNB too, so maybe pointing towards 19.2e.

I'll send them an email.

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
As I have said here before I was delighted to be able to get ITV and the other channels via my sky dish.

I know there are folks in Malta who want BBC live and I inadvertently stumbled on a solution, (not through my sky dish) which has saved me money and allows the teens to have British TV in their room without having to have wires and more cost.

It also means I can have BBC1 or ITV in the kitchen which is where I spend most of my time. :) I hasten to add this is not on Sky. It's on my pc and works beautifully.

I don't think I will be permitted to post the link here so I will hold off.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2600 &
Humax 5400Z (sat)
Dell pentium 3 (comp)
My Location
Malta
I live in Malta too & would like to know of this supposed link. Tried to send a private message to "Ladybug" but she has chosen not to receive private messages. If anyone in the know can help I would appreciate receiving a p.m. to this effect. Thanks in advance & regards.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
DAVID CARABOTT said:
I live in Malta too & would like to know of this supposed link. Tried to send a private message to "Ladybug" but she has chosen not to receive private messages. If anyone in the know can help I would appreciate receiving a p.m. to this effect. Thanks in advance & regards.

Both of you have not been members long enough to get PM privileges but you could tick the box on your Vcard options in you profile to allow each other to download respective Email addresses

ladybug said:
It also means I can have BBC1 or ITV in the kitchen which is where I spend most of my time. :) I hasten to add this is not on Sky. It's on my pc and works beautifully.

I don't think I will be permitted to post the link here so I will hold off.

Links may be posted provided they are inactive links to do this precede by an underscore thus
_www.google.com as you can see it is not active

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
I thought it might be the right thread to ask this;

In Malta, can you legally subscribe to SKY ITALIA, as if you resided in Italy? Is it legally distributed in Malta???

Atomicbullet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Motorised
My Location
Barnsley
Maybe?

I don't know of any official satellite subs and services in Malta. apart from the fta channels about?

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
DAVID CARABOTT said:

David I'm sorry I wasn't faster with this reply. Getting children back to school UGH

here is the link.

_http://www.britishtvabroad.com

I believe it is a VPN connection if that makes any sense to you and of course I can watch it anywhere in the house.

Tiggi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Best way to watch BBC & ITV in Malta
My Location
Malta
Ladybug,
I live in Kappara and I have one question for you. Did you have to upgrade your broadband connection from 512 kbps to 1000 kbps
Regards

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
Hi Ladybug.
I think you received some good advice from the forum,now it could be your time to help others,by giving some feedback about the live tv solution on pc you found.
How is the picture quality?Is the service reliable?
When it comes to getting uk tv,it doesn´t matter if it´s by satellite or computer,if the service is good.
It can´t just be a business for satellite dish installers...:)

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
I am with Melita cable. I am not thrilled with them but that has nothing to do with british tv abroad.

I just did one of those speed tests and the results were, 5839kbs download and 455 kbs upload. Now I know that will mean a whole lot to people here but not to me LOL

If you tell me how to find out tiggi I can tell you exactly what we have.

The picture quality is good. I get the very occasional buffering but I think that's more to do with my wireless connection.

I just got this system for my daughter who watches way more tv than I do and seemingly there is a Forum for this system that she has started visiting that is very informative.

So far, I am very happy and I like the fact that the Customer Service team are on the ball. I had a problem with enabling PtP? or PPtP, and they did a walk through for me via SKYPE and it was resolved.

Right now I am watching BBC1 news. I also get BBC2 channel 4 and 5 ITV and all the other regular channels.

I think what impressed me most was the installation and how it was explained. It was obviously designed for people like me. It was so simple.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
Thanks ladybug for this report.
I´ve been to Malta before,such a nice island,but terrible when it comes to watching tv programs.
This seems a viable option then,only pity is you can´t get different regional versions of the main channels,so you have to watch the only region provided(England I suppose).

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
Wow I am just glad it all made sense LOL

There is an option in the channel list to add regional channels sat345rg At the moment I have ITV London but one of the other mums here has ITV Ulster.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
ladybug said:
There is an option in the channel list to add regional channels sat345rg At the moment I have ITV London but one of the other mums here has ITV Ulster.

What?Please expand on this ladybug.
Is it possible to get the Scottish version of bbc and itv?
This would be important because not everybody comes from England...

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
I have just looked in my optional channels list since I am also a Scot :)

BBC 1 Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
BBC 2 Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

ITV local ITV Wales

STV

Ulster TV

Now that's only the ones I can see there may well be a way to get other ones I am just not sure how to do it.

I didn't even know this existed until I had a look around.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly useful for those outside reasonable reception footprints, but don't be completely assured by their hair splitting claims of legality, they may not last long term. I'm sure someone else will pop up in their place though should they disappear.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
ladybug said:
I have just looked in my optional channels list since I am also a Scot :)
And why are you using ITV1 England then?:)
Thanks for this useful information.

To Rolfw:We see other posts here where people from Spain or Cyprus say they have s*y subscriptions and nobody (rightly) has problems with this,although it should only be available in the uk.
Why when a pc solution comes up,where no dish installation is required,all sorts of legalities concerns start here?