Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
Good Morning.

We have recently moved to Malta and we are having problems deciding which satellite Dish to buy. (if any)

I thought I had done my homework before leaving the UK and made sure my tv license was current and I also bought a Sky subscription and we have our digi box.

However, everywhere we turn we are told that we cannot receive E4, ITV BBC etc, which was not the information I had garnered before I left the UK :confused

Any help would be most appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately there are no reports of successful reception available for Malta that I can find, but it would appear that a 3m dish or possibly larger is required to receive the channels on Astra 2D (BBC, ITV etc), the nearest report being Algeria.

Who advised you otherwise?

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
rolfw said:
Unfortunately there are no reports of successful reception available for Malta that I can find, but it would appear that a 3m dish or possibly larger is required to receive the channels on Astra 2D (BBC, ITV etc), the neraest report being Algeria.

Who advised you otherwise?

When we bought our Sky, Irish subscription package it was priced on receiving those channels. I don't want to post who from because to be quite honest my brain never works well when I am neck deep in boxes and children screaming we want sky tv :mad: and I may well have misunderstood. I now understand from contacting this provider the following:

"E4 and ITV are actually free and not part of a subscription as such but you will need a dish of at least 2m in size for those channels. Most other channels only require a 1m dish".

Strange that E4 and ITV weren't in the cheaper package however :)

Good Afternoon Worth2. :) Does everyone charge sooooooooooo much for satellite dishes out here?

jtkeep

Reaction score
Hi Ladybug
If you have a skydigibox with valid sky subscription, you can see a lot of sky stuff on Astra 2a and Astra 2b, both have a North beam and a South beam, in Malta you need a 50-60 cm dish for the south beams, and a 120cm dish for the North beams.

Here is a link for details of sky programs footprints etc. _http://www.astra2d.com/
All the best Thomas

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
jtkeep said:
Hi Ladybug
If you have a skydigibox with valid sky subscription, you can see a lot of sky stuff on Astra 2a and Astra 2b, both have a North beam and a South beam, in Malta you need a 50-60 cm dish for the south beams, and a 120cm dish for the North beams.

Here is a link for details of sky programs footprints etc. _http://www.astra2d.com/

All the best Thomas

Thank you so much for this Thomas.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Hi

It is possible to get E4 and more More4 (irish versions) in malta along with Channel 4 and Just recently ITV.

Ideally you need a 1.5m dish but many people get away with 1.2m ( i get away with 1.1m

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Have NOT been able to get BBC for a few years now ( I dont know of anyone who manages even with large dishes).

Although ITV is free, you need the sky card to access it.

The SKY can be very expensive package in Malta, because they have to generally have an address or bribe somebody.
The ideal way to do it is if you have a propertly available in the Uk is to get a subscription for there and manage to keep it via direct debit.

but shop around there are a few Sat shops around, some will rip you off but some won't in Malta always best to be recommended to somebody or become friends with someone.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dm066 said:
Have NOT been able to get BBC for a few years now ( I dont know of anyone who manages even with large dishes).

No you dont - ITV is FREE - all the card does is set the correct regionalisation.

UNLESS your region is one of the half dozen that has moved back onto the widebeams - they have had to scramble again.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Probably wrong sorry. However, ITV doesn't seem to work for me without card access.

jtkeep

Reaction score
As far as i can see ITV1 central is clear no card needed.

the frequency is 12402 vertical S/R 27500 FEC 2/3

This the north beam 1.2m dish needed for malta

All the best Thomas

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta
jtkeep said:
As far as i can see ITV1 central is clear no card needed.

the frequency is 12402 vertical S/R 27500 FEC 2/3

This the north beam 1.2m dish needed for malta

All the best Thomas

Can I just say a massive thank you to everyone who took time to reply to this rather frazzled mummy. Our 1.2 dish was installed today (We only ordered it this morning) by a local company and we have E4 channel 4 and all the channels that we wanted. (Until the yell goes up one's missing LOL) We had BBC1 NI briefly but it seems to be showing no satellite right now.

We have the sky Irish subscription and so far, so good.

The Company who installed for us said that there is something going on that will allow BBC shortly but to be entirely honest I didn't understand a fig of what he was saying. Something about a new satellite which will be in place next week?

I can truly recommend our suppliers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You will probably find some of the channels come and go throughout the day - its quite usual in extreme fringe reception conditions.

Your supplier is talking rubbish - theres no new satellites going into service next week.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
ladybug said:
Can I just say a massive thank you to everyone who took time to reply to this rather frazzled mummy. Our 1.2 dish was installed today (We only ordered it this morning) by a local company and we have E4 channel 4 and all the channels that we wanted. (Until the yell goes up one's missing LOL) We had BBC1 NI briefly but it seems to be showing no satellite right now.

We have the sky Irish subscription and so far, so good.

The Company who installed for us said that there is something going on that will allow BBC shortly but to be entirely honest I didn't understand a fig of what he was saying. Something about a new satellite which will be in place next week?

I can truly recommend our suppliers.

Glad you got what you wanted. Are you sure you got BBC 1 N.Ireland??? Don't think that as been available at all in Malta. Maybe it was BBC news channel which shows BBC 1 breakfast in the morning ?
Think the supplier is probably talking rubbish as we are more likely to lose more channels than gain BBC.

On another note can someone explain in very simple terms why I can still get Channel 4 but no EPG and what that possible means for the Future? will any channel 4's stay like channel 4 HD of the channel 4 Test channel?

Thanks

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
I've a 1.5m dish in Malta and haven't been able to receive BBC1 NI at any time in the last 2 years - my card is registered to my n.Irish address so it defaults there.

As mentioned in another thread I've lost Channel 4 NI but still have the HD and +1 channels so not too bothered at the minute.

jim1228

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at present
My Location
Mellieha Malta
Please can anyone advise me of what can be done to receive UK TV programmes in Malta. So Far I have made no firm decision and I shall purchase a Television receiver when I arrive in Malta on 3 November

ladybug

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Irish subscription.
British TV license
Sky digi box
My Location
Sliema, Malta

or not.

With or without the card, I don't see a choice for ITV. I am wondering if my dish is set correctly

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
Ladybug go into Services with your sky remote, go into settings and then go to Add Channels.

Put these details in:
V
2/3

You will then see a load of ITV channels, save them and then you can view them in Other Channels.

Unfortunately they are several English ITVs and I don't get UTV for my home local news :(

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The default region for a $ly DIgibox without a card is BBC1 London, BBC2 England and ITV1 London.

If the card comes from another area then it will change these to the relevent regionallsed variants. If the card's from the London area then there will be no change!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dm066 said:
On another note can someone explain in very simple terms why I can still get Channel 4 but no EPG and what that possible means for the Future? will any channel 4's stay like channel 4 HD of the channel 4 Test channel?

Thanks

There are a couple of test channels freom C4 srtill available on the widebeams. These will cease at some point and C4 will end up just transmitting on Astra 2D. At this point anyone out of range of the Astra 2D spotbeam will lose access.

C4 +1 will almost certainly eventually join its sister on Astra 2D as well - simply because its going fta so it can join the UK Freesat service.

You will probably lose C5 as well at some point as they will be joining Freesat later in the year..