BBC Choice

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
This is what the BBC say
BBC THREE replaces BBC CHOICE on 9 Feb. We're set to provide you with the best in new comedy, drama, satire and music as well as inform you with distinct news and current affairs. Go on... we think you'll like it!

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Yes this annoys me.

BBC tell us you are getting a "NEW" television channel "BBC 3"

What they don't tell you is it is just a re brand and makeover of BBC Choice.

Just the same as the "new" BBC4 was a makeover of BBC Knowledge.

And just the same as the "new" childrens channels CBBC and CBeebies were just the daytime output of BBC Choice and BBC Knowledge, sharing the same mux, but given the inconvenience of different EPG numbers to try and fool you into thinking they are something different.

Just as the BBC's Digital channels are "now available for free on the new freeview service" Erm they have allways been free on digital terestrial.

So the BBC like to keep telling you that you are getting something NEW where in fact you are just getting some CHANGES.

This is more like the advertising standards that you expect from a double glazing company, not the BBC.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
i think we (people in the uk) are forgetting that we DON`T get these channels for free because we pay about £8 a month for our license fee. this tends to be forgotten about. i wonder if the long term plan is to encrypt BBC channels and then subscriptions replace licence fees?

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Originally posted by malling
Yes it is on freeview and Sky....

Malling.

No. It's FREE TO AIR on Freeview.

But on Sky It's FREE TO VIEW.

That means it is encrypted, but anyone with a valid UK address and UK television licence can get a "free to view" card to decode it, free of charge.

This is all to do with rights issues, to stop it being watched outside the UK.

All UK subscription cards also include them free.

They are not (officcially) available in the RIO, but of course many people in the ROI have friends / relatives in the UK who sent them a free to view card.