BBC Digital Is Free

N

net1

The Advertising Standards Authority has ruled that the BBC can describe its digital channels as "free" even though viewers have to buy a digital box to watch them.

The ASA launched an investigation after viewers complained it was misleading to say the BBC channels were "free" when they had to pay £99 for a Freeview decoder as well as the licence fee.

A preliminary ASA judgment earlier this year concluded that the campaign had breached its code of practice.

The BBC however, argued that the its promotions made it clear that viewers who did not already have satellite or cable would need to buy an adapter for a one-off payment of £99.

They said the £99 was paid to the equipment supplier, not to them, and that all television viewers have to pay the licence fee regardless of what they watched.

The ASA today rejected 12 complaints about the campaign, saying it "made clear that the channels were available free with satellite or cable services and that they were also available through the new Freeview service".

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thank goodness another viictory over the guardians of pedantry.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Fully agree with the judgement.
If the requirement of having a special receiving device precluded calling the service free, then no transmissions (televisual or radiophonic) could be described as free. Unless of course some clever person has figured out a way of directly integrating the electromagnetic signals with the audio-visual centres of their brain.

2old