BBC Digital Terestial in Tenerife?

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
I live in the south of Tenerife and have purchased a system that receives BBC1, 2, ITV and Sky News via an aerial! The signals are received via a large dish and then re-broadcast digitally via terrestrial from the nearby Island of La Gomera by a local company.
The digibox receiver I was sold (€550 inc installation from a local Tenerife company) is a digenius® TVBOX® S6.

My question is this... If I buy one of these boxes from the manufacturers web site in Germany (http://www.digenius.de/Produkte_en) will it just work? Or will the box need to be configured to match their digital terrestrial transmission systems?

I have noticed that on the back of the box there is a 'PC Interface' serial connector/socket. What's this for?

Any help much appreciated.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
makum101 said:
I live in the south of Tenerife and have purchased a system that receives BBC1, 2, ITV and Sky News via an aerial! The signals are received via a large dish and then re-broadcast digitally via terrestrial from the nearby Island of La Gomera by a local company.
The digibox receiver I was sold (€550 inc installation from a local Tenerife company) is a digenius® TVBOX® S6.

My question is this... If I buy one of these boxes from the manufacturers web site in Germany (http://www.digenius.de/Produkte_en) will it just work? Or will the box need to be configured to match their digital terrestrial transmission systems?

I have noticed that on the back of the box there is a 'PC Interface' serial connector/socket. What's this for?

Any help much appreciated.

This receiver is for digital satellite only, and is incompatible with digital terrestial transmissions.
The PC interface is used for uploading software to the receiver.

Llew

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Llew said:
This receiver is for digital satellite only, and is incompatible with digital terrestial transmissions.
Hmmmm, That's puzzling - Just checked the box and compared it to the one on the web and its defiantly a TVBOX® S6. The cable that comes into it is a screw in 'F' connector and the other end of the cable connects to an AERIAL on my roof! (there are many installations of this in South Tenerife)

Llew said:
The PC interface is used for uploading software to the receiver.

Llew
Yes. I Guessed that much, but what does the software do and can it be used to customise the box so that a person like me who buys one from the manufacturer can not simply plug it in and use it?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
PoloMint said:
Hi makum101 – This type of retransmission system has been discussed here http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=8140 and might give you some more clues about how the system works. :)

Ah, I see Polo. the Astra's signals are converted at the relay and re-transmitted (presumably still DVB-S) in the receiver tuner's IF range.
Presumably a wideband aerial would be needed to receive this range of frequencies, or perhaps a narrower band is used within this IF range?
I remember using a similar set-up with an old Echostar SR50 analogue receiver and a log periodic aerial, to receive SSTV transmissions via the 70MHz IF output of the SR50.

Llew

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Cheers Guys. After reading that thread i thnk I'll not bother. I have one but just thought I could help my (less well off) friends out here in tenerife with a cheaper option. Seems not.

Thanks anyway

enoc

What?
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
Whit the new Spanish rules (since 1/Oct/2004) this system will swich off soon......

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
enoc said:
Whit the new Spanish rules (since 1/Oct/2004) this system will swich off soon......

Enoc - Very interested in your comment about new Spanish rules from 1st October. Where did you hear or read about this? A similar service operates in Fuerteventura and I was thinking of buying/subscribing to it. I now have reservations!

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
What new Spanish rules Enoc?

enoc

What?
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location

enoc

What?
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
the signal it is now encrypted? any news about this?

jacko

Reaction score
don¨t know about it being encrypted.
i know the supplier has had these new
boxes made in germany.apparently theres
no makers name on the box,
on his previous "strong" boxes you could
get into the menu and get the frequency,
s/r,and the pids.hopefully he¨s just changed
the frequency and pids.
the area i¨m in is still working atm from the
gomera transmitter.

jacko

Reaction score
hi , anybody know if there is such a thing as a program
or universal channel editor to extract the frequency and
pids out of these new boxes.as there is no name or serial
number on them its a little bit difficult.
there are only 4 channels and they are fta.
still watching these channels atm on my TM5500dapci,
but the tansmitter in my area (gomera) is soon going to
transmit on the new frequency.
cheers.

peter Hodgson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have sky digital in Tenerfie
Can anyone help further on this subject I have been quoted 620 Euro for a system in Los Gigantes to receive BBC/ITV via La Gomera and was wondering if I can buy a box and intall it myself?

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
peter Hodgson said:
Can anyone help further on this subject I have been quoted 620 Euro for a system in Los Gigantes to receive BBC/ITV via La Gomera and was wondering if I can buy a box and intall it myself?

you won´t be able to buy a box and install it yourself. but look in the different english language rags for prices, i´ve noticed various ones advertising a similar system for around 400+

enoc

What?
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
hi.

just listen power fm or any other radio station and you will ear many publicity about it.

also in all the free newspaper you will see thems.

good luck!