BBC Freeview to launch in November

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2203824.stm

The BBC is to call its new digital TV service, which launches in the autumn, Freeview.

A joint venture with transmission company Crown Castle and BSkyB, Freeview replaces the now-defunct ITV Digital operation, which went out of business in May.

Channels include:
BBC One
BBC Two
BBC Choice
ITV1
ITV2
Channel 4
Channel 5
BBC News 24
Sky News
CNN
CBBC

Freeview will provide a range of 24 channels on digital terrestrial TV, which will not require a subscription.

Viewers will be able to receive them with a set top box costing around £99, an old ITV Digital box or an integrated digital TV set.

BBC director of marketing and communications Andy Duncan said: "Freeview will be a fresh start for many consumers. As well as former ITV Digital customers, people who make a one-off equipment cost of around £99 willl be able to enjoy this simple, compelling proposition - more high quality channels, entirely free to view.

"Freeview will also make the BBC's digital channels available to many more licence payers.

"And the name tells people exactly what's on offer - more TV channels free-to-view."

As well as existing free digital channels like BBC Choice, BBC Four and ITV2, the new service will also feature channels like Sky Travel, Sky News, Sky Sports News and Turner Classic Movies.

The BBC said the new service would launch in the autumn as soon as changes to digital terrestrial signals had been made, to improve reception and to ensure fewer homes need to upgrade their aerials to get the service.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A little dicky bird tells me they are on schedule for a mid September start, probably the weekend of the IBC

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's what I'd heard, perhaps the November date is for the final completed service.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thanks Rolf, I thought (in fact I read it on this site somewhere) that the old ITV boxes would not be compatible. Seems that they will be then.

Jimbo :confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that all of the manufacturers have been working on software patches to work with the change of transmission protocol.

Although I suppose if you look at it from the manufacturers point of view, it would be better for them if the boxes didn't work.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Change of transmission protocol ?

I didnt think there was to be any change from the original for the new services, only the optimising of the signal into more areas

Any news to the contrary would be gratefully received

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry mistake in terminology, I was referring to the modulation method changing to 16QAM, which they are trying to get up and running for September.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
From the Horses mouth

http://www.dtg.org.uk/dtgactivities/press_releases/020612_dtt_test.pdf

The original signal sytem was designed really with cable type applications in mind. The revised version should improve ota coverage by the reduction of a few channels per multiplex

As you say Rolf Im sure the broadcasters would rather the older boxes simply disappeared, than design an upgrade for them

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, interesting article, hadn't seen it, but they certainly support the theory that it will be give similar results to dramatically increasing the transmission power.

It will be very interesting to see the results, I have several customers with boxes in fringe areas where reception is scratchy and if the change produces the required results, the customers will be delighted.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Signal strength has gone up with me (NW) - and if anyone wants a new Pace (itv digital) box Dixons are flogging 'em at £49.99.... :rolleyes:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Is there such a thing as a new Pace ITV Digital box, or does this mean the new STB with a hastily removed ITVD logo ?

Like all consumables £50 is really a disposable price, especially since it has to be sold with a 2 year warranty, not really worth taking out the extended warranty on something this cheap

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I would assume that the old stb's would have to be compatable because if they were not then that would meen that all the idtv's that have been sold over the last couple of years would not work either. As I have a Philips idtv I wouldn't be too impressed and would complain like mad if it ceased to work in digital mode.

pixey

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I know that there were problems with a lot of the IDTVs when they did a brief test a while ago, not sure whether it was with 16QAM. I believe that some makes of IDTV require that software upgrades are carried out in the workshop and not over the air.

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Do you know if that would be a free upgrade if it was required??

pixey

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I can only guess that it would be Pixey, particularly as many of these sets are less than a year old.

shnigganoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
as far east as you can go
Mmmm very interesting. I have an old On Dig box that I would like to use. It a Nokia 9??? Is this likely to work?:confused

Cheers,

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Its going to be an interesting three months

Im sure we will be posting a list of the pitfalls and success stories once firmware upgrades start on DTT

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Anyone with an old ON/ITV Digital box would be advised to have it connected before the change to 16QAM, I'm not sure whether any updates will be possible after the change, someone with a little more technical knowledge about modulation may be able to shed more light on this.