BBC FTV cards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They are probably not that bothered, as long as they can count Sky's 6.5M viewers as potential advertising revenue, the odd few thousand here or there are not important to them.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STBs = Ultimo4K, VUDUO2, VuSolo2, Alien2, AzBox HD Elite, ET8000:
Dishes = 180cm PF, 80cm offset, 60cm offset, Sky mini:
LNBs c120 for PF dish = Ku-Band White Smart Titanium (modified to c120)
and for C-Band Titanium C1W-PLL
My Location
UK
I tried to get a replacement new FTV card today. I was refused.
When said I wanted to retain viewing of ITV, C4 & C5 when SK* switch off the P1 stream, I was told to apply to Sk* for a P2 FTV card!!!
I was told that they were only concerned about the BBC channels and were not interested in what would happen when the BBC goes FTA.
Could be a lot of unhappy FTViewers next month :-(

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
PoloMint said:
The new cards work just like the old ones did in non-paired boxes, (ie BBC and Sky premium channels blocked, but ITV, CH4+5 and sky ‘family package’ shown) provided that the box is running the latest software.

Most of the confusion comes when people take new cards to holiday homes where the box has been off for months and missed all updates, the box then wont read the card at all and the owner thinks it’s not working because the new cards are more picky as to what boxes they are used in - but they aren’t.

So yes, any FTV/cancelled Sky card can give ITV Ch4+5 in any box.
Thats what I wanted to hear poloMint, cheers. :-cheers

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
I can confirm what 007.4 said, my brother just called the BBC and they are not going to issue anymore cards, as they dont know, neither care about whats going to happen to CH4 and 5

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Having acquired an out of contract D*G*B*X only recently, I'm still trying to get my head round the FTA and card debate. I have a S** card which came with the STB. With it in the CAM slot, I can receive all I want (5 terrestrial channels plus BBC 3, 4, TCM etc.

Having read the comments in this thread, I ordered a card from the Beeb and it arrived this morning. Presumably, I just follow the instructions on the attached paperwork and activate it. What will then happen to the S** card? Will it be deactivated? How long will I be able to receive BBC digital services, Channels 4 & 5 with the Beeb card?

:confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you've just received the BBC FTV card it should last until the next change of cards Wolsty.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
So I can just put it in the slot, follow the instructions and forget it?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, I believe so.

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I understood from the following statement that Sky were now going to be responsible for issuing Free to view (Solus) cards. Although its not completely clear on this topic, it does imply that Solus cards will continue to exist.

Full BBC statement on Sky agreement
21:11 BST, Friday 13th June 2003 -- by James Welsh
BSkyB and the BBC today (Friday 13th June 2003) announced a five year agreement which includes the continued allocation to BBC One and BBC Two of channel numbers 101 and 102 on BSkyB's Electronic Programme Guide (EPG). Therefore the BBC will withdraw its complaint, made in April 2003, to the Independent Television Commission.

From 10th July, the BBC will broadcast all eight television channels in the clear. By Autumn 2003, all 22 national and regional variations of BBC One and BBC Two will be available and listed on the EPG.

As part of the agreement, the BBC is buying a regionalisation service from BSkyB to ensure that viewers within the UK with Sky viewing cards will continue to automatically receive the right national and regional versions of BBC One and BBC Two at 101 and 102 respectively.

The agreement will end the payment by the BBC to BSkyB for the provision of "Solus" viewing cards to digital satellite viewers who do not have a subscription to a pay-TV service. In future, viewers will continue to be able to view all unencrypted channels and will receive versions of BBC One London and BBC Two England in the 101 and 102 positions. They will also be able to manually select the rest of the BBC's national and regional variations listed on the EPG.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
The statement says that the BBC will stop paying Sky for the provision of Solus cards. It does not say that Sky will take financial responsibility for the cards. This implies that the cards will no longer be available.

The statement also states, that in future, viewers will be able to receive FTA channels. This implies that viewers using a Solus card, will be able to receive FTA channels only.

What is unclear in the statement, is what will happen to existing Solus cards as there is no mention of FTV channels.

We shall find out in ten days time...

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I sent this email to the ITC:-

I note that on the ITC Website (1 July 2003) in the section called "Digital Satellite Free-to-View" the ITC states that "Once you have obtained an appropriate satellite receiver there are no other ongoing charges" (to receive ITV1, Channel 4 / S4C Digital, and Channel 5).
Can you tell me what steps the ITC is taking to ensure that this statement continues to be accurate from July 10 2003 ?

lifeboatdoc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I spoke to one of the girls in the FTV Centre again this evening. She told me that existing FTV cards would not receive ITV Ch 4 and Five after a few weeks and that a subscription would be necessary like RTE in Ireland.

But RTE pay no carriage fee to to Sky and I believe that ITV/CH4/Five do-so why a sub necessary

I live in an area where neither Ch4 or Five are available on analogue so if we lose it from Astra ?!

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
From Five's website (2 July 2003)

"I think I live outside Five's coverage area. Does this mean I'll never get Five?

Firstly check in our postcode search facility to confirm whether you live outside our coverage area or not.

If you do live outside our coverage area then it is likely that you will never be able to recieve Five terrestrially. However, Five is available, SUBSCRIPTION FREE, on digital terrestrial and SATELLITE services. "

I suspect that if enough people write to the ITC,DPMS,Five and Channel 4 and their MP, then new arrangements will made for free to view on Satellite.
After all some people will never be able to get digital terrestrial. When the digital switch over takes place will they all have to pay SKY more than the licence fee just to receive ITV, Channel 4 and Five ?

The contact for five is dutyoffice@five.tv
ITC: viewer.relations@itc.org.uk
DPMS broadcasting@culture.gov.uk
tessa.jowell@culture.gov.uk
House of Commons Media Committee cmscom@parliament.uk

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just got the following from viewer.relations@itc.org.uk :-

Things are still uncertain. We have spoken with the free-to-air
(FTA) broadcasters to remind them of the viewers' interest in a long-term solution. But this is really a matter for the broadcasters themselves.

Now that the BBC/Sky issue is resolved, it could be that the other
commercial public service channels may consider alternative arrangements if they wish to continue to provide free-to-air access to their services by satellite without the need for a BSkyB viewing card.

But as things stand, once existing cards are disabled, access to FTA
services that currently require a valid viewing card will cease.

BSkyB will not be sending new viewing cards to Solus card viewers as
part of the card swap-out programme - unless a FTA broadcaster, other than the BBC, wishes to strike an agreement to provide replacement cards.

The ITC is not involved in the supply of viewing cards for free to
air satellite viewers; and the financial arrangements and the timing of
renewal of existing cards is a matter for the parties involved.
The ITC has no grounds for intervention.

We would urge viewers to contact the broadcasters.

Viewer Relations

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Wonderful, the ITC doing their normal handwashing exercise, so what do they say to the viewers unable to receive terrestrial broadcasts, I would have thought that was well withing their remit.

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
rolfw said:
Wonderful, the ITC doing their normal handwashing exercise, so what do they say to the viewers unable to receive terrestrial broadcasts, I would have thought that was well withing their remit.

bbc webby quotes

What is going to happen with
my Sky Card

If you have a Free-to-View, or 'Solus' card
(You have never paid monthly fee to Sky, or any other broadcaster)

This card is very likely to be pale blue with the words “Sky Digital” printed on it, and will very shortly cease working to the best of our knowledge mid to end of August. Ultimately SKY will decide the day they will switch off the cards, this is not within the control of the BBC.

IF YOUR CARD IS PALE BLUE
(1st Generation and obtained before Feb 2003, with the words 'SKY Digital' branded onto it)

You will still get the BBC channels that are “Free-to-Air”, and the correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE at 101, and BBC TWO England at 102, for approximately two weeks after card deactivation. The box will then default to BBC ONE London at 101, and BBC TWO England at 102, independent of where you live in the UK. Your local BBC regional output will be available in the 900’s numbers of the EPG. However without your viewing card you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package..

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services, any enquiries relating to ITV,CH4 and CH5 should be directed to the individual broadcaster..

IF YOUR CARD IS DARK BLUE
(With a picture of a yellow house on it, and was received after February 2003)

You will get access to all the
FREE-TO-AIR channels,
& the FREE-to-VIEW CHANNELS..

You will get your correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE and BBC TWO, plus your localised ITV region, at channels 101, 102 and 103 respectively..

Additionally, if you live in England, your local version of BBC ONE will appear at channel 101 when it is launched at the end of July.

If you live in Wales you will get S4C at Channel 104, instead of Channel Four.

You will be able to get all the other regional & national variants of BBC 1 & 2 from the BBC in the 900 numbers on the EPG from the end of July, independent of where you live.

This card will also cease to function when SKY change their encryption again in the future. We are not able to say at this time how long the dark blue card will continue to function; we will provide further information when it becomes available. When this card ceases to function you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package.

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services, any enquiries relating to ITV,CH4 and CH5 should be directed to the individual broadcaster.

can someone tell me the type have card i have?
ftv card or solus
card and the 'IF YOUR CARD IS PALE BLUE
(1st Generation and obtained before Feb 2003, with the words 'SKY
Digital' branded onto it)

anyone clear it up mine is blue with white writing on it. possible
this branding means that thw writing is somehow indented in to the
card?

ta like

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Look at the back of the card.If the phone nimber is 08702-438000 then it is a bbc supplied free to view card.if the number is 08702 404040 then it is switched off subscription card from sky,which now works as a free to view card.

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
There has been some discussion about FTV cards during the discussion of the Communications Bill in the House of Lords. They go on a bit but some of it is interesting.
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds03/text/30603-12.htm
Looks like it will be sorted in four years - by which time we will all have thrown away our digiboxes.
Musn't do anything to upset to upset those Americans especially if they happen to be called "Rupert". We must fight for their right to charge us 150 pounds per year for two crappy TV channels, buy up ITV and Channel Five and generally dominate our culture with their superb ideas of freedom and justice. Rupert needs the money and power much more than we do.

gensavage

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Rolfw,

I have the older viewing card version,.e.,the one WITHOUT the house on the card.Is it still possible to have my sisiter call the BBC and have them send out a newer version then have it activated by Sky?

PAUL

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
gensavage said:
Hi Rolfw,

I have the older viewing card version,.e.,the one WITHOUT the house on the card.Is it still possible to have my sisiter call the BBC and have them send out a newer version then have it activated by Sky?

PAUL

Answered in other thread. :)