BBC FTV cards

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
gensavage said:
Hi Rolfw,

I have the older viewing card version,.e.,the one WITHOUT the house on the card.Is it still possible to have my sisiter call the BBC and have them send out a newer version then have it activated by Sky?

PAUL

You had better do it yesterday because bbc ftv stops on the 10th and they won't be activating any more after that.

gensavage

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zorba said:
You had better do it yesterday because bbc ftv stops on the 10th and they won't be activating any more after that.

If I ordered a card before then would I still keep the service we have now?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
gensavage said:
If I ordered a card before then would I still keep the service we have now?
If you already have a new card,then activate it asap.I saw on another thread earlier that bbc stopped issuing ftv cards june 3rd.Call them anyway,nothing to lose.08702 438000

FRAZER

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this issue discussed in the press? It seems just a little scandalous if people who chose to go digital, as we have all been encouraged to, by taking up the offer of paying for installation of a dish and receiving the digibox and card for free are now to be left without ITV, Channel 4/5.

I am a bit pissed off, having bought a second hand digibox and connected it to a motorized system as the (terrestial) analogue signal I get is very poor. Now I shall probably have to pay for someone to fix a better aerial and see if I can get terrestial digital instead, which won't be that cheap, or make do with a crap reception!

RogerP

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zorba said:
If you already have a new card,then activate it asap.I saw on another thread earlier that bbc stopped issuing ftv cards june 3rd.Call them anyway,nothing to lose.08702 438000

I phoned up on the 23rd June and ordered a card and was told that I needed to get it activated by 10 July. I then phoned up again to order another one on 2nd July, as I was going to buy another box on the quick, and was told then that they weren't issuing them any more. Needless to say I didn't buy another box!!

gensavage

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

Is this definite that we will lose ITV,C4,C5 or is it a ploy by Sky to 'encourage' everyone to subscribe to their minimum package of £12.50?

We live on the south coast of Spain,where it is estimated that there are 70.000+ satellite systems,if say 50% of these suddenly start applying for Sky cards it's going to be pretty obvious to Sky where we are living and if they stick to their rules then they shouldn't be issuing any cards at all?

If the channels are to be turned off does anyone know when,and will the BBc still be available without a viewing card?

PAUL

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Firstly, only the old P1 FTV viewing cards will be turned off. The new FTV cards with a house on them will remain active for the foreseable future.

I don't see any reason for Sky to become suspicious just because a lot of people might suddenly apply for a subscription. After all, the P1 card switch off will also effect a lot of FTV viewers living in the UK.

After tomorrow the BBC will be unencrypted an anybody within the footprint will be able to view all the BBC channels free, without a viewing card. This also means that viewers that do not have a Sky digibox but rather a 'normal' reciever (FTA, U-CAS, CI) will be able to receive all the BBC channels.

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
cjgall said:
Firstly, only the old P1 FTV viewing cards will be turned off. The new FTV cards with a house on them will remain active for the foreseable future.

I don't see any reason for Sky to become suspicious just because a lot of people might suddenly apply for a subscription. After all, the P1 card switch off will also effect a lot of FTV viewers living in the UK.

yeah about 500,000 !

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wouldn't mind betting that it is a lot less, most of the cards went overseas.

FRAZER

Reaction score
rolfw said:
I wouldn't mind betting that it is a lot less, most of the cards went overseas.

it would be interesting to know how many people are using the Solus card domestically, as it was offered as one of the methods of going digital, particularly for those in poor analogue reception areas like myself-I know my neighbour had a dish installed to be able to get Channel 5. Seeing as the government wants to turn off the analogue signal eventually, if significant numbers do rely on the Solus card at present, perhaps there could be some pressure asserted either to make the 3 other main terrestial channels go free to air as well (though I wonder if Channel 4 would have problems with it's plethora of American imports), or perhaps persuade Sky to simulcrypt those three channels in both their current and the updated encryption.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
gensavage said:
...We live on the south coast of Spain,where it is estimated that there are 70.000+ satellite systems,if say 50% of these suddenly start applying for Sky cards...

Just out of interest, where did this estimate of 70000 people on the coast come from?

It's something I have been wondering how people would work out for a while now, BTW I’m on the Costa del Sol.

gensavage

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

The estimated 70.000 people that watch Sky or BBC was the result of a survey done by the 'Costa Del Sol News',a local weekly paper serving the coast that costs about 75c,but that was some time ago,probably the figure is higher by now.

We live in Nerja,a coastal town with a population of only 18.000,and here we have at least 15 independant satellite engineers,all of which seem to do OK out of the business,to book an engineer plenty of notice is required,and a call out charge is typically 60€.

dvart

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
According to Radio Netherlands (3 July 2003)

"With just a week to go before the BBC begins transmitting its domestic services Free to Air (FTA) via the Astra satellite, the government is stepping in to protect the interests of 560,000 households that face losing digital access to the public service commercial channels: ITV, Channel 4 and Five."

The full article is at:
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/medianews.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, sounds like the radio over in the Netherlands is similar to the UK, in that the way they interpret information "We are in contact with the broadcasters over this matter and I will respond to you in full as soon as possible." does not in my mind mean that the Government are stepping in.