BBC FTV cards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From a post on Satdudez, it would appear that the BBC are now telling customers that FTV cards will not be available after 1st July and activation of previously issued cards will be unavailable after 10th July. There are no plans as of yet to offer a free viewing card for ITV and Channels 4 and 5.

This will also mean that if your box breaks, the only option will be to get it repaired, as you will not be able (at least at present) to get your card paired to another box.

I have not checked this information with the BBC, but have no reason to doubt the its validity.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
I use a Sky card (married to my box) without a subscription to view the beeb, C4, 5 & ITV. As I understand it, the card will (currently) allow me to view ITV, C4 & 5 (not BBC) even if it wasn't married to my box.

Is this correct?

If this is the case, then the card should still allow me to watch all the above mentioned channels when the BBC go FTA, even if I place the card in a different box.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried your card in another box cjgall?

The new cards, ones which have been issued in the last couple of months will produce nothing on a non-paired box. You may be OK with the older cards, but I haven't got one to test this out on.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
No, I haven't tried it out in a different box. I am unable to as I am in the Netherlands and don't know anybody else with a skybox over here. I will try the card in a familiy members skybox next time I visit the UK. I had the the card and 2nd hand box sent over just a few weeks ago and I think the card is the new type but am not sure. I was thinking of buying a new digibox next year, pending the outcome of the Dragoncam test that maxking told me they will be doing when the Dragoncam arrives, and hoping to use the same card for ITV etc.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
This is the new card.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Thanks for the image rolfw, thats the one I have.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If I get a chance cjgall, I'll phone my sister, she has the new card and two receivers and can test whether it works, actually, I'll get my nephew to do it, far more capable. :). If not, I'm sure that we have several members with a couple of boxes and a new card.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
That would be great rolfw. Many thanks!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
The new cards work just like the old ones did in non-paired boxes, (ie BBC and Sky premium channels blocked, but ITV, CH4+5 and sky ‘family package’ shown) provided that the box is running the latest software.

Most of the confusion comes when people take new cards to holiday homes where the box has been off for months and missed all updates, the box then wont read the card at all and the owner thinks it’s not working because the new cards are more picky as to what boxes they are used in - but they aren’t.

So yes, any FTV/cancelled Sky card can give ITV Ch4+5 in any box.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for that info PoloMint, so the moral of the story is, anyone with a couple of spare boxes, get a FTV card for them and get it activated quickly as they will have a good resale value. :)

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
so, in other words, if i get my borther to order me a card from london and activate it in his box, he can then just send it to me in Sweden and i can still watch CH4 and CH5 ( thats all thats left for me to watch). Anyone here can give me the tel. no. to obtain a FTV card please.

Cheers

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not so sure that it'll be a good idea if he already has a card married to his box Sgar, I know that some people hav e and still do use two cards, but this is something that may come back and bite them.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Hi rolfw, you're helpful as always.
Well what do you advice me to do?I live abroad, i have a digibox and a ex contract card, so i assume that sometimes next month my card will die ( due to the change over of cards), correct? in that case, what are my options? My brother hasnt actually got a digibox now that i remember, but i have meny meny friends in England who have sky, so maybe they could order a bbc card, activete it in their box and then send it to me, b4 its to late.
Do you think that this can be done?

Thanks very much again

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, and not only problems in the future. The BBC now also check to see if there is an active Sky card tied to the box when you give them the serial. This is to stop people in England getting BBC Scotland with a FTV card sent from a friend there. They never used to check, but in the last year or so they have been much more careful, some people still manage it so it just seems to be luck as to who they check.

I assume your brother would have the FTV and Sky card registered to the same address, however the BBC are likely to see that there is an active Sky sub and may not see any reason to activate the card, and your brother would be hard pushed to come up with one if they ask. (even if he tells them he is cancelling Sky they will tell him there is no need to get a new card)

Giving your brother the serial and version number of your box is probably the safest way of activating it. When you have the unactivated card in your box in Sweden he should then call up and activate it, provided you have a stable default transponder signal it shouldn’t be a problem.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
The position with the cards is that original Sky digital viewing cards are being turned off as they are replaced and Solus cards, issued by the BBC to cover the five UK providers, will be turned off by the end of the year. The commercial channels are refusing to take over the BBC's Soulus operation so holders of such cards will be forced to turn to Freeview or go back to analogue.

In my opinion, because the Govenment are advocating a switch to digital TV in the UK, they should step in and ensure that viewers do not lose what they already have.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Ok guys, thanks a lot, i now understand that my old skydigital card will die pretty soon. I got to do this real quick otherwise i am screwed.I will go on holiday in 2 weeks, so my bother needs to order and send me a card asap, b4 i go away, then i can leave the card in the box and he can then activate it from the UK using my box s.no ect....(btw my def. transponder is strong)
mmm this is looking tight, very tight...
Is this the correct BBC no to order a card: 08702 438000 ?

Thanks a lot

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's the number Sgar. :)

lifeboatdoc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just spoke to FTV operator who confirmed above dates but said it would be all FTA including ITV Ch4 Five from 14th July !!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unfortunately all the operator seems to have confirmed is that they don’t know what’s going on (meant in the nicest possible way).

With Ch5 having just renewed their contract with Sky they certainly don’t appear to be preparing for FTA and neither do the rest.

lifeboatdoc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I did point that out to her !! I think you are right they don't know what is happening but ITV Ch4/Five will either have to go FTA or take on the issuing and activation of FTV cards.