BBC gone!

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
I seem to have a Sky+ problem at the moment: Mine won't (as of late last night) receive BBC channels. I know that they moved to 2D last night, but that shouldn't stop me - after all, there are other channels on that bird that I pick up fine (including all the ITV regions!)

All I get is poor quality garbage on screen, but it is a signal. After a little while, the box gives up, green screens and reboots itself!

At first, I thought it was the drive again, as this is very similar behaviour to a previous failure, except that it didn't fail watching live TV before, only when recording (which, of course, it can't do from the BBC right now!)

Is anyone else affected? I've found nothing on DigitalSpy apart from Whinging ex-Pats.

Any ideas before I take my life in my hands and call Sky?

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, it probably is due to the 2D change. I cannot receive the BBC channels either at the moment. ITV is better but also choppy at times. BBC I receive virtually null since the changeover.

Methos.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try doing a reset at the mains Roundel, this would appear to be happening a bit at the moment. if this doesn't work try a new installation rescan.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by roundel
I seem to have a Sky+ problem at the moment: Mine won't (as of late last night) receive BBC channels. I know that they moved to 2D last night, but that shouldn't stop me - after all, there are other channels on that bird that I pick up fine (including all the ITV regions!)

I dont know if this will be any help but i suggest you play with the skew before you do anything else.
The rebooting sounds odd tho:confused :confused

iceman

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Its happening all over Iceman, its not a reception problem (at least not in the UK), the way the channels have been reallocated would appear to be confusing the software and the digibox is unable to find the new transponder.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just been looking round a bit more, it appears that the forced update is necessary in some cases to rectify the problem, it has something to do with updates not being sent out, as the BBC moved channels prior to the expected date.

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
Thanks Rolfw, do you mean do "New Installation" from the hidden menu or a full Sky+ wipe the HD "system reset" ? I've power-cycled the box a number of times, and can't even get reception via manual tuning, although the other Tps on 2D work fine, including the 10.803 BBC one and the RTE radio at 10.744!

Very puzzled!

John

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by rolfw
Just been looking round a bit more, it appears that the forced update is necessary in some cases to rectify the problem, it has something to do with updates not being sent out, as the BBC moved channels prior to the expected date.

makes sense.....BUT why only "some"??
maybe it would help if the members with this problem state what make/model receivers they are using.

iceman

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ roundel, no need to wipe the hard drive, by recycle the power i presume that you have removed the plug, not just switched off at the box. It seems that in many cases a forced software update is required for the box to recognise the channels, although like at all times, information is pretty scant coming from Sky, the update is a large one and some older software versions don't seem to take it the first time around, so it may be a matter of waiting a few days.

If you try first off going into the installers menu and trying the new installation process, then if that doesn't work, try the forced software update.

@ Iceman, Yes, totally agree, also the location would always save a few questions. :)

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
Hi Rolfw,

Thanks very much for the suggestions, but unfortunately, to no avail. I've unplugged and replugged (even overnight!) Done a "New Installation", complete with callback, and forced a s/w upgrade.

And still the same result. Other Tps are fine, and the important one is "no signal received".

Guess it's time to get a mate round with a long ladder...

I just don't understand how a dish alignment problem can only affect a single transponder... unless that transponder itself is faulty... maybe it's not polarising correctly! I wonder if SES can be contacted on the matter?

John

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not convinced that it is a dish alignment problem for you John, I've been looking around a bit and this would seem to be quite widespread in the UK. If you are seeing a good signal strength and quality on your receiver, then in the UK, you will receive all of the transonders on 2D.

As a matter on interest, how long did the forced download take, it apparently doesn't work every time with this download as it is a large one. If this is a case that Sky have not made downloads available for all of the boxes, it may be that simply waiting will solve the problem.

Have you tried doing a channels search for "other channesl" in the service menu on the BBC transponder

10847 V 22,000 see if it sees it, you can also go into the installer's menu, manual tune and enter the 2D frequency, that will tell you definitively whether you are getting a signal from the transponder and I'd be very surprised if you are not.

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
Hi Rolfw,

Well, I've still not managed a picture on 101 :confused The forced dload was finished when I checked 12 mins later.

Manual tuning on 10847 V 22,000 gives me a strength of about 40% and quality of 75%, where I find only "BBC ONE LN" which does actually give me a picture!!!!:D Unfortunately, I need the signal on 101, else Sky+ won't record from it. It's a good start though!!

Attempting the same on 10.773H gives a 40% strength, but 0% quality, then quickly changing to "No signal found".

The confusing thing is that at 10.744H (even lower freq. than the troublesome Tp. on the same bird) gives me a strength of 50% and quality of 75%.

I suppose the question is "What is signal quality" and "how do I improve it?"

Anyway, many thanks so far - I'm very gradually progressing!!

John

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well at least we are progressing John, i reckon that this could be Sky playing games with the BBC, the channels will probably appear in time, but it will possibly be at Sky's leisure.

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
With help from a number of people on various boards (especially Rolf here), I'm now very happry to confirm I have BBC channels back again.

Here's how.

1. The "Easy way".
For BBC2, use one of the BBC2 nations on 960 and up.
For BBC1, you can use the manual tuning. Set parameters to
- V
- 5/6

This carries BBC1 LONDON. It's still on 2D though, so won't help you if you are outside of 2Ds footprint, but it is not on the "faulty" transponder that the rest of the BBC channels are.

There is still the problem of missing BBC3/4/N24 etc so...

2. The "Hard way"
Find a ladder.

Seriously, it was amazingly easy. All I had to do was to loosen one of the two LNB screws slightly, and there was a delighted scream from indoors :D

Very careful re-tightening, and voila!

It's been said that it only needs a millimetre or two of error in the rotation of the LNB on the dish arm to lose this transponder.

I'm certainly happy now, and it's saved me paying Sky!

One major problem though... whilst I was up the ladder, something happened. My Sky+ planner is now empty. Oh well, I'd watched most of it anyway!

J.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Seriously, it was amazingly easy. All I had to do was to loosen one of the two LNB screws slightly, and there was a delighted scream from indoors :D

Very careful re-tightening, and voila!

It's been said that it only needs a millimetre or two of error in the rotation of the LNB on the dish arm to lose this transponder. [/B][/QUOTE]

So...it was a skew adjustment as i thought so.

Originally posted by iceman
i suggest you play with the skew before you do anything else.

Glad thats sorted...:)

iceman

oldbiddy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
According to what I was told by Sky today, the new BBC satellite is indeed low power, and dishes with borderline alignment/aim will not receive BBC.

Sky customers who have had an install in the last year are covered by their one year warranty so a re-aim is free, loyal longer term customers are facing a bill or a ladder trip.

Nice, very nice...

OB

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say that I'm surprised that the skew was that critical in the SE UK and sorry if I've been steering John in the wrong direction, but that's what is interesting about this hobby, there's always something to bite you on the bum. :D. If as Sky help desk have said, the transponder is on reduced power, it may well be experimental to try and define the minimum acceptable power levels without adversely affecting the target audience, yet confining the signal to a very tight zone. It may also be Sky kicking the problems off of their doorstep, it is very much in their interest to make the BBC position look unreasonable.

As a matter of interest though John, can you now get everything through the EPG?

roundel

Reaction score
Website
www.changename.co.uk
Hi Rolf,

Yes, I can now access everything through the EPG again! Although I got a few audio breakups through Eurovision last night, so it's not perfect.

I may actually get an installer to do some readjustments now that I understand the situation (i.e. my equipment is not faulty).

Alternatively, I may just wait a week or so to see if Auntie ups the power.

J.