BBC, ITV, More4 have disappeared

VirtualOdin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Bose 1-2-3, DVD recorder (plus two additional sky boxes)
My Location
London, England
Outside Lucca Italy, I have a 1.5m dish which up until a few weeks ago was working fine, receiving Sky and BBC, ITV etc. It has to be said BBC was marginal. Once in a while, eg in heavy rainfall, the signal was not strong enough. But I don't recall ever having an issue with ITV.

When the Sky box became home sick recently and need to talk to my home phone, I shipped it back to the UK and it is now happy again. Now I am back in Italy with the box, Sky is all fine, but I have lost BBC1-4, ITV1-3, More4. I see "no satellite signal is being received". I have not touched the dish, but that is not to say the wind or something hasn't. Signal strenth looks reasonable on the system set up. Before I call out someone to check the alignment, could there be another explanation?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Have you checked the signal quaility on the transponders that those channels are coming from?

See lyngsat for details.

Robbo:)

VirtualOdin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Panasonic 42" Plasma, Bose 1-2-3, DVD recorder (plus two additional sky boxes)
My Location
London, England
Robbo71 said:
Have you checked the signal quaility on the transponders that those channels are coming from?

See lyngsat for details.

Robbo:)

I'm afraid you have gone beyond my technical competence there. As I may have said before the strength and quality are in the 60% to 70% range, I assume varying with atmospheric conditions, etc. Meantime I have tried the dish on another box and the same result.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
OK,

No probs,

I don't know the Sky box too well, but when you get the signal quality up on the screen, it is for the Default transponder.

The satellites transmit the channels on a number of different frequencies (transponders), and just because you have good quality on one of them (the one your receiver defaults to) it does not mean that you have good quality on the one that carries the channels you want.

if you go to lyngsat.com and select 28E satellites, you can scroll down and find the frequency/s for the channels you want.

Then if you go back to your receiver, it is possible to check the signal quality on other transponders.
(Don't ask me how to do it:-rofl2, I know you can as I did it way back, but have not used my Skybox for a long time now)

Robbo

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
It's in manual tune set up which can be accessed in the installer menu. Input the transponder frequency, the S/Rate and FEC, then find channels. This will give you the signal / quality of the transponder :)

VirtualOdin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, England
With thanks to Robbo71 and satelliteman, I have found the manual tuning screen. The default transponder is set to 11.778 V 27.5 2/3 FEC. If I try entering a different frequency from the lyngsat tables, I get the 'no signal' error message again. I tried various of those listed on lyngsat and always the same. So I am no further forward. I might go out tomorrow if it is fine and have a go at adjusting the alignment of the dish...

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
On a non-sky box, it is possible to monitor the signal quality on a weak transponder whilst adjusting the dish. The same, as far as I can remember is possible with a Sky box. Although I do vaguely remember it being a bit tricky to get the meter to stay up long enough.

VirtualOdin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, England
A shake of the dish did the trick! When I have more time I will check the alignment more precisely. Anyway, thanks for the advice.