BBC & ITV via satellite, but not astra!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
uk: skybox - ntl cable box - manhattan multisat system,90cm dish & fixed 1.8m - ntl b-band - isdn2 (128kb) lines - sipgate voip lines ukraine: internet access, (150kb) - multisat system 1.2m, 1.8 fixed sirius, astra 28.2,hotbird, Eutelsat 16 east
My Location
manchester & ukraine
Some good news hopefully. O-Ha A satellite trader from the uk and myself have been in talks with a v-sat provider to stream BBC & ITV / CH4 /C5 (free to air channels)
via Hotbird using a mpeg-2 encoder.
If this goes ahead, you will only need 1.2m dish to view the service Europe.
we are hoping to offer this service to the usa & Canada (c-band) and all of Europe (ku band)
it will even go as far as the Falkland islands. :eek: (the c-band service will be last to be done)
As i said this is at a early stage, the money has to be sorted out for the ku-band service first.
The best thing about this is that we don't need to pay the BBC or ITV companies any money, we are legally entitled to re-broadcast any free to air channel providing we don't edit or charge for the service.
This is all i can say at the moment, I will keep you updated when i have more news.

One more thing.
BBC PRIME "SUCKS" :mad:

pipoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What abou BBC Radio 1-4? Is there a plan to include them too?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I have to say I'm not convinced :rolleyes:

L.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
I think someone started sleep walking and sat at his computer... Nice dream...

If only.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not going to happen. Retransmission of content like this would be breaking all sorts of laws.The UK stations would be breaking their coverage agreements for starters..

I cant see Eutelsat going for something like this. (They will pull channels off their satellites if enough pressure is put on them by big enough organisations - as Al Manar found out last year)

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Nice first post.

Is this the fantasy thread ? :-rofl2

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
uk: skybox - ntl cable box - manhattan multisat system,90cm dish & fixed 1.8m - ntl b-band - isdn2 (128kb) lines - sipgate voip lines ukraine: internet access, (150kb) - multisat system 1.2m, 1.8 fixed sirius, astra 28.2,hotbird, Eutelsat 16 east
My Location
manchester & ukraine
There is no plans at the moment to include BBC radio, personally I would like this as im also a listener of radio two.

The satellite to be used has not been decided yet, Eutelsat is one option but i think we will go for nss7 at 22.0 west.

Replies saying that we would be breaking uk law, well this this is not true!
The only licence we require is a licence to broadcast video from the hub. we already have a licence for data.

I will post more information regarding the legality of re-broadcasting of free to air channels. i will be specking to our technical guy,(Ex BBC TV engineer) later this week.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok - my prediction. In the unlikely circumstances you actually get some sort of service on air, you wont last a week. The UK channels will not take kindly to unauthorised retransmission of their programming.

NSS, Eutelsat, SES or other operator will pull you off air as soon as the first complaints from the big boys come in.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
There was a time when one could watch brand new movies before they came out in the cinema (sometimes even before they were released in the States!) through Astra 1!

I guess SES didn't know about it or if they did they knew none of the broadcasters or movie studios did!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like someone hasn't done their homework, since when have channel 4 and 5 been free to air internationally? As several others have said, if it ever does kick off, it will be removed very quickly, the other very important factor is, who is going to pay for the transponder space if they are not charging for the stream?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
As long as it reaches Cyprus,i wont tell anyone.Best thing,ukrainecom,is to keep quiet about it and then pm me with the frequency etc.;)

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
manchester & ukraine
To be legal we need:

a). Radio Telegraphy Act license - which we have
:cool:. Broadcast license - which I am applying for with OFCOM
c). Permission from the programme originator / up link provider to re-broadcast their programme material.

In this latter regard:

IPRP is to TV broadcasting as the Performing Rights Association is to Pub music. I have been in touch with them and they have licensing responsibility for the likes of Turner Broadcasting and other "Commercial" channels for re-broadcast in hotels and like institutions.

The following extract from the IPRP website under "licensing services" explains:
[SIZE=+0]"[/SIZE]
IPRP is authorised to issue these commercial re-transmission licences on behalf of the following channels: CNN International, EuroNews, Aljazeera, RTP Internacional, Cartoon Network and Turner Classic Movies.
"
I am advised that the IPRP license fee is not punitive.

Otherwise, From dialogue with SES Astra (who broadcast FTA channels for Sky), I am advised that I may re-broadcast any free to air channel from their bouquet just as long as I do not alter the programme content.

The only area of conflict would seem to be specific sports programming where exclusive contracts have been signed. We must seek the broadcasters agreement to deliver such services into the countries under our footprint as some may be under an embargo.

I trust that this goes some way to answering some questions.

p.s. we have done our homework.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ukrainecom said:
Otherwise, From dialogue with SES Astra (who broadcast FTA channels for Sky), I am advised that I may re-broadcast any free to air channel from their bouquet just as long as I do not alter the programme content.

That alone blows C4 & C5 out of the plan for starters. If you hadnt noticed they aint fta

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
manchester & ukraine
ever heard of terrestrial TV !
you can find lots of free to air channels ({})

If someone told you ten years ago that sky television would buy out BSB, you would have not believed it. well it happened or the internet, would you have believed we would have speeds of 10 megabit for home use.
we are streaming this service just like satellite broadband, you can get 6 channels on a 2 megabit feed. (mpeg2)

its very easy to say it cant be done, how do you think Rupert Murdock started with sky television.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Don't you listen to us Rupert Jnr you go ahead with your plans.

Where would we be without great visionaries like you. :-bash

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Rupert Murdoch started from a position of solid financial backing, transmitting output which he was paying for, certainly not misinterpreting international copyright law as you appear to be doing and transmitting stolen material.

If you seriously believe that you are going to be permitted by BBC, ITV Channel 4 and channel 5, to rebroadcast their material without paying royalties, then you really need a reality check. :-lmao

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Maybe you've found a loophole - good luck.

Your main problem may be finding someone to bankroll the service without a return or is that part of the plan?

As I said, good luck and I wish you well...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ukrainecom said:
ever heard of terrestrial TV !
you can find lots of free to air channels ({})

If someone told you ten years ago that sky television would buy out BSB, you would have not believed it. well it happened or the internet, would you have believed we would have speeds of 10 megabit for home conations.
we are streaming this service just like satellite broadband, you can get 6 channels on a 2 megabit feed. (mpeg2)

its very easy to say it cant be done, how do you think Rupert Murdock started with sky television.

Now you are changing the argument. Earlier you said
From dialogue with SES Astra (who broadcast FTA channels for Sky), I am advised that I may re-broadcast any free to air channel from their bouquet just as long as I do not alter the programme content.

C4 & C5 are NOT fta ergo by SES's own rules you cannot use them. Being FTA terrestrial has nothing to do with it.

Im pulling out of this argument for now. You wont change my mind. I dont believe you can do it and I wont believe you can until the day you go on air and stay on air for more than a few days.

Having said that - best of luck with the project - innovations are always welcome in the world of satellite tv, and I'll be following the thread with interest to see how things go.

ukrainecom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
manchester & ukraine
We are sorting out the money side now, its now going to be cheap, the encoder will cost £70k, we are leaseing this. we will be using biss encryption as used by channel 5

we can take FTA service, via satellite or terrestrial TV

channel 4 & 5 are encrypted on astra, but are FTA via terrestrial, so we take our feed from terrestrial,

we can only take a original free to air service, we cannot use any sky channels or encrypted services.

There is a very fine line on what we can do, you don't invest on a project with out doing your homework, that's why you have copyright solicitors.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
What is this obession with BBC and ITV? there are tons of better channels out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.