BBC News 24 frequency change - reception issues ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hi

The BBC earlier this month changed the bouquet pattern of some of their services in order to put a few channels onto the wider European beam, and have received some complaints about it.Of course Sky boxes would automatically update to the new pattern,but FTA receivers will need a retune.

Can people that may have noticed any loss / interruption of signal of the BBC News 24 channel (and some of the radio services) please respond on this thread.

I am trying to identify whether it is a local dish install related, or down to the band switching circuitry of certain receivers and so anyone from Europe with news (sic) of this is also invited to answer.

Cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive noticed regular "jitters" on the News 24 pic since the frequency change (DB7020) In fact Ive more or less stopped watching it - at least until its sorted.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks

What do you put it down to ? (not the install I hope)
Which make of receiver are you using?

Anyone else ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The receiver is a Dreambox 7020. The installation is fine - theres no jitter on the other fta/ftv channels. Will try and remember to have another look over the weekend.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just checked and still getting bad jitter on the BBC News 24 pics.

Set up is this ..

Orbital 1m dish prime focus on 16E. Offset lnb on 28E

Receiver - DB 7020

SNR - 78%
AGC - 85%
BER - 0 to 250

Picture jitter happens when BER is very low as well as when its in the 200's. I dont notice such bad effects on any of the other fta/v channels I watch

Spemnt a few dull minutes watching BBC Parliament on the same freq. Signal strengths BER etc are similar and there is a little signal disturbance.

Im willing to agree my dish / lnb could do with optomising a bit more, which will happen when I eventually get my Fraccaro dish up and quad lnb and I remove the offset feed off the 1M dish and wire it up to the Fraccaro. (If I ever get a dry weekend up here....)

However, there have been a lot of reports of poor signals from BBC News over on the DS forum over the last few weeks

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Channel Hopper said:
Hi

The BBC earlier this month changed the bouquet pattern of some of their services in order to put a few channels onto the wider European beam, and have received some complaints about it.Of course Sky boxes would automatically update to the new pattern,but FTA receivers will need a retune.

Can people that may have noticed any loss / interruption of signal of the BBC News 24 channel (and some of the radio services) please respond on this thread.

I am trying to identify whether it is a local dish install related, or down to the band switching circuitry of certain receivers and so anyone from Europe with news (sic) of this is also invited to answer.

Cheers

Haven't noticed any change in signal level on this transponder...I am getting both BBC News24 and radio channels loud & clear with a 1.8m dish in Cyprus..

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There was mention of the change in BBC News frequency on the Newswatch programme this morning.

They had someone in from BBC Distribution who said that the changes had shown up faults in people's installations. They had checked out their side of things and everything was right. If there are problems with BBC Parliament as well then you needed to get your installation checked professionally (!) as something is not right.

They also said that they wouldn't be undoing the changes as they are part of an ongoing rolling programme of changes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
:D

I wonder what the average Sky ladder monkey would make of my offset lnb's and 7 way disecq switching :-rofl2

Hopefully will get the new sky dish up next weekend and will have plenty of time to tinker with it and set it up optimally for both the Sky box and the 7020

jtkeep

Reaction score
BBC News works fine here in Denmark very strong signal 80% signal strength and quality.

Thomas

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hate to be a nitpicker, but News 24 is now the "BBC News Channel" (or just BBC News according to my Freeview boxes), it changed to this on Monday when they rolled out their new £500k graphics... :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
2cvbloke said:
Hate to be a nitpicker, but News 24 is now the "BBC News Channel" (or just BBC News according to my Freeview boxes), it changed to this on Monday when they rolled out their new £500k graphics... :)
*Ahem*

See my post, 3 above yours...

:toke::toke:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PaulR said:
*Ahem*

See my post, 3 above yours...

:toke::toke:

Doesn't say that they changed the name of the channel though... ;)

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
I think the problem with BBC News on the south beam in the UK is down to cr*p installations by ladder monkeys and absolutely nothing to do with the signal.
The south beam has always been easy to receive in southern Europe.
A standard 60 cm mindish will get this channel in most parts of Spain and reception was perfect last time I was out there. No problems in Kent, either.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I have just come back from Spain, and found no problem receiving BBC News via an 80 cm dish and an ancient Pace Sky digibox. Also getting Channel Five on the south beam now.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks

Since Analoguesat has confirmed earlier in the thread that BBC Parliament (same transponder and nearly identical PID rates) is not affected in the same way as BBC News, it is unlikely to be attributed to a misalignment of the dish, or other poor installation.

Can I ask a few more to post on their findings, especially those - ahem- legally using a Sky box in France ? Once again, details of dish size,cable run and if possible LNB manufacturer, would be immensly useful.

Thanks

PS, anyone willing to check, and finding a reception issue on BBC News, could they also report findings on the signal from Russia Today.