BBC not yet clear or in EPG

F

FEBUS

Well the hour has come and passed- I'd hoped to see the BBC when I got up this morning but the EPG still looks the same ie no BBC channels. When I try and tune them in manually I get the message "your viewing card is not authorised" when I try to view them (it isn't), when I remove the card I get the message "insert sky viewing card".

Looks like the switchover hasn't occured smoothly or there is some other problem.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Looks like you may be a bit early, but the worst case might be a blocking of the free channels by the digiboxes as a result of the change in EPG protocol. You may have to rescan them and put them in the 'other channel' list

F

FEBUS

I think I must be early and the BBc haven't sorted their act out yet! I've tried manually tuning the BBC on various frequencies inc 10802 H, 10773H, 10788V etc etc. I get the message "insert viewing card" or with it inserted "viewing card not authorised". Also R5Live which has always been in my EPG gives the same messages.
I've also forced a software update and left my box powered off for 10 mins to no avail. Either I've got a problem or the BBC haven't gone clear yet. I notice their website hasn't been updated and is still saying "check back here nearer to the time for the frequencies"- it couldn't be any nearer!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I seem to remember reading a statement from the BBC or Sky, that it would take some considerable time to manage the change, so i wouldn't expect instant results.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
rolfw said:
I seem to remember reading a statement from the BBC or Sky, that it would take some considerable time to manage the change, so i wouldn't expect instant results.

In the news section it says it is an all day job to switch. But why? I would have thought that you just program the Sky computer to stop encrypting the BBC programs as from time X, Y or Z.

Obviously NDS Videoguard is not so simple as all that. Maybe they need to send an ECM to every digibox in the land to tell the box that the BBC stream is now unencrypted.

An interesting test would be to leave a digibox unconnected for a few days and then see if it can immediately receive the BBC channels without a card.

F

FEBUS

The EPG is not yet updated for me at least, however Radio 5 is now available without the viewing card inserted as are the regional variations of BBC 1 (BM for me) that I porgrammed in manually.

Seems like they are unencrypted at last!

ex pats without viewing cards enjoy!

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Well, on a non-Sky Box, a Humax 5400, all BBC1 and 2 variations are in the clear. EPG and Teletext are working as well. So is 5live. Barcelona, Spain, 90cm. Finally some good TV :-)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So it appears that the digibox design and firmware are the reason for much of the delay

Not surprising